Hacking my wii says sd card locked, doesn't turn off, and rejects wii remotes

yogirlalyssa

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
my wii is not letting me put anything on the sd card, it rejects wii remotes, and the power doesn't turn off. now on i have to unplug my wii from the power outlet in order to turn it off. i had this wii for a long time, and the wii worked properly back then. i wanted to get my wii out of storage and play it for the first time in 3 years. i used the photo channel (i like to edit photos on it) to put my new photos of my cats that i have taken. so i posted those photos to the wii message board (i had put photos on the wii message board before) and then out of nowhere a message popped up that said "wii message board is full, old messages will be moved to the sd card." i tried all my sd cards but either it said "the sd card is locked. to save, move, or erase data please unlock the sd card" or "the device inserted in the sd card slot can't be used". and i know for a fact that all the sd cards i own have the lock switch to the "up" position. i gave up and then erased the message board data. so i did that and then opened the photo channel again and for some reason, my wii acted uncanny and rejected that one wii remote i had been using for a long time. i tried to press "sync" on both the wii and the wii remote, but the remote didn't respond. i tried to press "reset" but it went back to the photo channel. and to top it all off, the wii didn't turn off when i pressed the power button. either the button didn't respond and the wii stayed on or the wii turned off and the light on the power button remained green. any ideas why?

morning_glory

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
3 years of non-use ?
Change the Wii's battery (CR2032), it's for the clock & settings.
Redo all other calibrations/syncs.

Your SD card may also need some contact cleaning/servicing.
More info needed about your SD card.

Reactions: jeannotte

yogirlalyssa

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
3 years of non-use ?
Change the Wii's battery (CR2032), it's for the clock & settings.
Redo all other calibrations/syncs.

Your SD card may also need some contact cleaning/servicing.
More info needed about your SD card.
i used a gigastone 16 gigabyte micro sd card with adapter. i inserted other sd cards in it before. but i remember making the mistake of inserting the sd card in the wrong way a couple times.

morning_glory

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
but i remember making the mistake of inserting the sd card in the wrong way a couple times.
Micro SD to adapter or complete into the Wii ?
Could be your Wii's SD slot is damaged, but you'd have a better idea if the SD card fails within other devices.
Try changing micro adapters & see how you go. If your Wii slot is damaged, then it would feel weird inserting it. Listen for the click & feel how loose it is.
Just pay attention that you insert it correctly (always).

yogirlalyssa

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Micro SD to adapter or complete into the Wii ?
Could be your Wii's SD slot is damaged, but you'd have a better idea if the SD card fails within other devices.
Try changing micro adapters & see how you go. If your Wii slot is damaged, then it would feel weird inserting it. Listen for the click & feel how loose it is.
Just pay attention that you insert it correctly (always).
i tried swapping adapters with different micro sd cards, i also tried a sandisk 8 gigabyte micro sd card, a pny 2 gigabyte sdhc card, a sandisk sdhc card, i tried my tablet's micro sd card, my dsi's sd card, my R4 micro sd card, all the sd cards that i could find. but no luck. all of them work with my other devices. and i'm sure that the sd card lock switch was on the up position on all of them.

morning_glory

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Sorry to say but, it seems your Wii's SD slot has been damaged by bad orientation insertion. But, it could simply be a bent pin (or more).
A trip to a tech's lab (hopefully a good & trusted friend) is on your list. Unless you want to attempt to do it yourself (?). You will need a special screwdriver (tri-wing), & some knowledge on how to take it apart (carefully) & then to repair the issue/s.
Or you could try using a USB for your apps & games. That's another chapter.
Are your SDs micros or full size ? You can purchase a micro SD to USB2 adapter.

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
my wii is not letting me put anything on the sd card, it rejects wii remotes, and the power doesn't turn off. now on i have to unplug my wii from the power outlet in order to turn it off. i had this wii for a long time, and the wii worked properly back then. i wanted to get my wii out of storage and play it for the first time in 3 years. i used the photo channel (i like to edit photos on it) to put my new photos of my cats that i have taken. so i posted those photos to the wii message board (i had put photos on the wii message board before) and then out of nowhere a message popped up that said "wii message board is full, old messages will be moved to the sd card." i tried all my sd cards but either it said "the sd card is locked. to save, move, or erase data please unlock the sd card" or "the device inserted in the sd card slot can't be used". and i know for a fact that all the sd cards i own have the lock switch to the "up" position. i gave up and then erased the message board data. so i did that and then opened the photo channel again and for some reason, my wii acted uncanny and rejected that one wii remote i had been using for a long time. i tried to press "sync" on both the wii and the wii remote, but the remote didn't respond. i tried to press "reset" but it went back to the photo channel. and to top it all off, the wii didn't turn off when i pressed the power button. either the button didn't respond and the wii stayed on or the wii turned off and the light on the power button remained green. any ideas why?
|this seems very likely to be a hardware issue (at least from my experience with PC hardware) with your Wii and the sd card slot, Especially since you say the Wii doesn't power off using the button and doesn't pair Wii remotes. Other than the card slot, there could be a number of things causing the issue, like the hard drive starting to die out, a Wii Bluetooth module/antenna issue, power button responder thing, etc.. Also, there could be more than 1 HW issue with your Wii which could be be causing the Wii to act "uncanny", but this is just my guess.|

You could try replacing the cr2032 battery or just using a flash drive for apps and games like morning glory said, but you might have better luck if you factory reset the Wii (backup your data first; go to the third page of settings of your Wii and then select 'Format Wii System Memory'. Then press 'Format' ).
-- I have also read that SDHC (SecureDigitalHighCapacity) Cards are not supported in firmware that's lower than 4.0, which might be why you have issues with those Cards --

If all else fails, it would mean that it has one or more HW issues i listed above or something else, entirely (i don't know for sure, these are just my smart guesses). Replacing the SD card slot would be really difficult as it seems to be soldered to the mainboard. it could be possible, but not worth it as buying a new mainboard or wii would be cheaper and easier which i suggest.

yogirlalyssa

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
|this seems very likely to be a hardware issue (at least from my experience with PC hardware) with your Wii and the sd card slot, Especially since you say the Wii doesn't power off using the button and doesn't pair Wii remotes. Other than the card slot, there could be a number of things causing the issue, like the hard drive starting to die out, a Wii Bluetooth module/antenna issue, power button responder thing, etc.. Also, there could be more than 1 HW issue with your Wii which could be be causing the Wii to act "uncanny", but this is just my guess.|

You could try replacing the cr2032 battery or just using a flash drive for apps and games like morning glory said, but you might have better luck if you factory reset the Wii (backup your data first; go to the third page of settings of your Wii and then select 'Format Wii System Memory'. Then press 'Format' ).
-- I have also read that SDHC (SecureDigitalHighCapacity) Cards are not supported in firmware that's lower than 4.0, which might be why you have issues with those Cards --

If all else fails, it would mean that it has one or more HW issues i listed above or something else, entirely (i don't know for sure, these are just my smart guesses). Replacing the SD card slot would be really difficult as it seems to be soldered to the mainboard. it could be possible, but not worth it as buying a new mainboard or wii would be cheaper and easier which i suggest.
thx.

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I forgot to mention that you should check your Wiis firmware version and you could try updating the firmware even if its over version 4.0 (as its possible that new versions could be a fix to the other "uncanny" behavior the Wii was having).

| If you have a homebrew Wii:
The homebrew and/or Cios Could BREAK AND STOP WORKING as what I heard from some time ago on a forum somewhere, but don't take my word for it as I could be completely misremembering what I heard. it's probably won't not worth updating the firmware then (the uncanny behavior could be more of hardware issue vs a firmware issue), but if you do want to try it I would highly suggest getting conformation (checking another forum thread) on how and where its safe and worth it to update the Wii firmware that has homebrew software on it. I am not in no way an expert when it comes to Wii homebrew or firmware and I modded my Wii quite awhile ago, so these are just my "educated suggestions" really.|
let me know if your SD card issue get resolved or not

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Uncensored patch for Barbie games?