Mythologies in Gaming

Master Mo

F.R.E.E.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
A few days ago I thought to myself how amazing it is that there are so many games that are so rich in design and world, that they even could be considered to have an own unique mythology.

So I wanted to see what you guys think is the best mythology in gaming. But it has to be a (nearly) completely new one and shouldn`t borrow too much from real-life (excising) mythologies.

Panzer_Dragoon_RPG_Art_04.jpg

My vote goes to Panzer Dragoon: From artdesign, gameplay, language to music I think it is amazing. A very rich world with a deep story and environment to deepen the whole experience.

So what do you guys think is the best "artificial" mythology in gaming?

EDIT: massive typo
tongue.gif

Master Mo

F.R.E.E.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
leeday100196 said:
Maybe the Dragon Quest series? I don't really get what you mean by mythologies as compared to real life ones.
Yeah, Dragon Quest is pretty interesting choice
wink.gif

What I mean is that people really appreciate mythologies crafted in movies such as StarWars or LotR but I think games also have pretty interesting and rich self-made worlds. For example Zelda with the unique creatures and such or Metroid with different civilizations or the games from Team Ico and so on...

Fel

GBAtemp's Adventurer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Definitively the Elder Scrolls, the amount of flavour text in the third installment alone (Morrowind) could fill a normal book. You've got a complete history, star signs, pantheon of gods and other beings, unique flora and fauna, well-thought out geography, several countries and so on.

Satangel

BEAST
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Fel said:
Definitively the Elder Scrolls, the amount of flavour text in the third installment alone (Morrowind) could fill a normal book. You've got a complete history, star signs, pantheon of gods and other beings, unique flora and fauna, well-thought out geography, several countries and so on.

So so true, TES is amazingly deep. Those books are really amazing shit.
Dragon Age comes to mind too. So much reading material in there.

Zekrom_cool

I respect faith, but doubt is what gets you an edu
Trophies
Website
compfaqz.wordpress.com
XP
Country
India
Satangel said:
Fel said:

So so true, TES is amazingly deep. Those books are really amazing shit.
Dragon Age comes to mind too. So much reading material in there.
Yes Dragon age and Dragon Quest are alos nice.

199th post.

PolloDiablo

Madre de Dios! Es El POLLO DIABLO!!!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don’t know if this can count as a "artificial mythology"... but definitely is the best "artificial world"

Pokemon.... 649 reasons to support this
5 different regions to explore
a lot of cities, towns, ruins, caves, forests to visit
a lot of mysteries to unfold

Zekrom_cool

I respect faith, but doubt is what gets you an edu
Trophies
Website
compfaqz.wordpress.com
XP
Country
India
NahuelDS said:
I don’t know if this can count as a "artificial mythology"... but definitely is the best "artificial world"

Pokemon.... 649 reasons to support this
5 different regions to explore
a lot of cities, towns, ruins, caves, forests to visit
a lot of mysteries to unfold
Pokemon cannot be considered a proper mytology cause it has cycles, computers and all other modern stuff. Mythology is when there is no silicon, no techno stuff. Thats my opinion.

MaxNuker

GBATemp's Official Shinigami Substitute
Trophies
Website
facebook.com
XP
Country
Portugal
But do they Have "God" this one would be Arceus, that created everything and every pokemon... they also have "Guardians" of Time, Space, And whatnot... so i think it would be the most completed mythology? xD

Gullwing

homo
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The Legend of Zelda... It may not seem like so but it is a really huge world with many events and meanings... Let's the teh Hyrulean Civil War, the Great Flood, the Sheikah... There are many many things in the Legend of Zelda Mythos and Timeline that yet have to be explored... Did you know that essentially in the Wind Waker, the great sea hides all of Hyrule in it's bottom? Yeah, the great sea became a sea after the Great Flood.

PolloDiablo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Gullwing said:
The Legend of Zelda... It may not seem like so but it is a really huge world with many events and meanings... Let's the teh Hyrulean Civil War, the Great Flood, the Sheikah... There are many many things in the Legend of Zelda Mythos and Timeline that yet have to be explored... Did you know that essentially in the Wind Waker, the great sea hides all of Hyrule in it's bottom? Yeah, the great sea became a sea after the Great Flood.
You made realize that Zelda it's the best game mythology just for one reason...
It’s not like they told you in the game about all this events... the majority of games are like: "blah blah blah... 100 years ago... blah blah blah... that's what happened"
In Zelda... you already have been through all that history in the previous games, you've experienced it all!... that’s the beauty of Zelda.

Gullwing

homo
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
NahuelDS said:
Gullwing said:
You made realize that Zelda it's the best game mythology just for one reason...
It’s not like they told you in the game about all this events... the majority of games are like: "blah blah blah... 100 years ago... blah blah blah... that's what happened"
In Zelda... you already have been through all that history in the previous games... that’s the beauty of Zelda.
Uhuh! I wish we could get a solid timeline! I was in love with the franchise but after a read on the Zeldapedia articles, I fell even deeper in love with it
rolleyes.gif
I allways thought that in Ocarina of Time, Link took the Master sword and instantly travelled in time... But that's not the case. He eventualy fell in a deep enchanted slumber for 7 years.. And of course in these 7 years, Ganon touched the triforce, the triforced split in 3 part, and he took the triforce of power, conquered Hyrule etc etc etc

PolloDiablo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
AlanJohn said:
MaxNuker said:
But do they Have "God" this one would be Arceus, that created everything and every pokemon... they also have "Guardians" of Time, Space, And whatnot... so i think it would be the most completed mythology? xD
Wait, I thought Ho-oh was the god pokemon.
unsure.gif
that was back in 2001.... now it's all changed

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
A nice idea for a thread- personally I love mythologies for games and otherwise and can quite happily kill a few hours or more just reading about them without even bothering with the media they were constructed to support. I am however going to have a very hard time distinguishing between art design, mythology and gameplay that uses them not to mention the question of "what is a mythology?"- voices in ones head/delusions (see something like the void or eternal sonata or even psychonauts) right through to world/universe spanning things complete with magic/technology equivalents or even games that bridge the two or maybe just near enough to reality but with a few differences.

To my mind Final Fantasy just seems to be a mish mash of existing philosophies and mythologies ( http://www.gametrailers.com/video/part-xii...l-fantasy/27455 says it pretty well) although I probably should make a passing nod in the direction of Joseph Campbell's work at this point.

It seems then I have many areas to pick from although they diverge just as quickly

"ancient history"- your Greek (and associated civilisations), Roman (and associated civilisations), Chinese (pretty much self contained) and so forth right through to medieval times and whatever was going on in Japan at the same time.

Stepping aside from this you have fantasy with all the many subgenres it boasts.

I do not see so much in the way of modern mythologies aside from "world war 3" and maybe whatever goes on in broken sword and point and click/adventure worlds but they largely seem self contained when it comes to games. I am not sure where steampunk and ?punk fits.

Sci fi- broadly I guess this is near future or perhaps even a "what if" the last up to 100 years played out differently to "far future" (stuff like Dune which I will get onto in a moment although that seems rather similar to some of the completely alternative universe fantasy)

Alternate reality- usually "aspects of mythology were real and it is the modern day or at least since about 1850" or something "odd" (starting at Little Big Adventure and moving through to some of the stuff in http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/vie...d-is-Not-Enough ) and I will stretch that to include things like bayonetta (although arguably Bayonetta is truer to much of Christian mythology than just about anything else for several hundred years now which I find endlessly amusing) and El Shaddai: Ascension of the Metatron (not out yet in English). I might include something from some of the newer Nordic developers but I think I then cross from mythology to aesthetic qualities.
I am not entirely sure where Zombies fit in either and I should mention Turok as well.

I then have to ask where do other works fit into this- many games are based around comics, books, film universes, existing mythologies new and old
Equally despite my curiosity I was still raised among western mythologies so others sit in different places in my mind where I imagine someone raised among those others might view western mythology in a similar fashion .

I think in the end, at least as far as the last few years have gone (if going back to the C64/amiga era then things change) I am going to look to Russia and eastern Europe for this, the games might not be the best but purely on mythology very little comes close.
Metro2033- based on a book I know but for backstory and general story it stands above just about everything I have played in recent times.
S.T.A.L.K.E.R. - it was based on a book but it shares very little with it and the film (is the TV show out yet?)
Precursors- not a great game (so unpolished it is not funny) but it hits very close to what I want from a game.
The Void- I finished it a while back but it will stick with me for a very long time to come.
Head further into this and it gets every crazier.

Honourable mention to Resonance of Fate. It is not that original a theme (several classic sci fi works do similar) but it worked for me.

A qualifier for the likes of Bethesda and Bioware along with many other western RPGs- good stuff but nothing that stands out as far as mythology goes- the competition is too stiff.

Either way- long may this sort of thing continue.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Not as scary as walking in the woods alone, and running into Wario. +1