Homebrew Nintendo releases 11.17.0-50

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Savior of the broken
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
So if my 3DS already has CFW can I update safely or just wait to be sure?
You are good to update if you have a CFW installed
This update came outta nowhere.. and i got to agree, patching bannerbomb3 was a real dick move by Nintendo. Considering they aren't/ won't be making any money from the system.
Atleast ntrboot is still an option, and only 'cause they couldn't patch it..
Nintendo really hates when people enjoy their older products. They would much rather people have 0 options to play games on their old system than to even consider allowing them to hack their system for a pirate option. Simply put, Nintendo hates when the market is allowed to decide, so they are doing the deciding for the market.

MelonGx

Trophies
XP
Country
China
You are good to update if you have a CFW installed

Nintendo really hates when people enjoy their older products. They would much rather people have 0 options to play games on their old system than to even consider allowing them to hack their system for a pirate option. Simply put, Nintendo hates when the market is allowed to decide, so they are doing the deciding for the market.
No Nintendo didn’t take any action to IPS-MOD GBC GBAs and their FRAM mods / legit cart’s flashcart-mods / Flashcarts.

Reactions: Kwyjor

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Savior of the broken
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
No Nintendo didn’t take any action to IPS-MOD GBC GBAs and their FRAM mods / legit cart’s flashcart-mods / Flashcarts.
That's not what I am talking about. I am talking about Nintendo shutting down the eShop and then sending out an update to ensure hacking their systems was made harder. This makes it harder to enjoy the 3DS if it's not already hacked or you don't have access to a flashcart that works ntrboot.

Reactions: Alexander1970

ihaveahax

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Uh, it wasn't/isn't for free?
Old 3DS users currently have no free methods. All current methods depend on having certain games (more difficult due to the eShop closure) or external hardware like an ntrboot cart.

For New 3DS, super-skaterhax was not fixed, but it (and any *hax-based exploit) currently does not work on USA consoles due to the Home Menu update.

17hitcombooo

Officer Balls.... BWAAHAHAHAH
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
man the 3ds market is gonna suck hard

• Sad
Reactions: Mike_77712

Blasingame

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As long as NTRboot works we should be okay? I guess it relies on having access to flashcarts, so not ideal?

Edit: ok, I see it's about free methods to being able to boot homebrew

caipora

cheese eating lactose intolerant
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Hackers will figure it out anyway, Nintendo is way too incompetent to really find out a way to protect their software from modding.
Also, simply not updating is an option. My 3DS cannot even normally connect to my wifi without a hotspot anyway lol

Vaan red

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I'm a noob, does this means if I buy a new Old 3ds or New 3Ds I won't be able to mod it? Don't they come with old systems (hackable) pre-installed??

aren't these updates only a pain in the ass for people who have never hacked their 3ds and has the current 11.17 sysnand? I'd like to understand that....
Old 3DS users currently have no free methods. All current methods depend on having certain games (more difficult due to the eShop closure) or external hardware like an ntrboot cart.

For New 3DS, super-skaterhax was not fixed, but it (and any *hax-based exploit) currently does not work on USA consoles due to the Home Menu update.

Pickle_Rick

I'm a pickle Morty!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm a noob, does this means if I buy a new Old 3ds or New 3Ds I won't be able to mod it? Don't they come with old systems (hackable) pre-installed??

aren't these updates only a pain in the ass for people who have never hacked their 3ds and has the current 11.17 sysnand? I'd like to understand that....
Once skaterhax is updated with the offsets for the new home menu you should be able to use unsafe mode to install CFW again.

Vaan red

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Hackers will figure it out anyway, Nintendo is way too incompetent to really find out a way to protect their software from modding.
Also, simply not updating is an option. My 3DS cannot even normally connect to my wifi without a hotspot anyway lol
See this is what I'd like to understand. Who should not update? People that still don't have CFW right?? I assume everyone here has. What I'd like to understand is, you guys feel sorry for people who never installed CFW right??
Once skaterhax is updated with the offsets for the new home menu you should be able to use unsafe mode to install CFW again.
What I mean is, I already have a CFW 3ds, but if I go to ebay let's say to buy a completely new 3ds. Won't I be able to insert CFW just the same way I did with the old 3ds of mine 5 years ago? After all the new one should come with system 9.0 or something. Right??

Pickle_Rick

I'm a pickle Morty!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
See this is what I'd like to understand. Who should not update? People that still don't have CFW right?? I assume everyone here has. What I'd like to understand is, you guys feel sorry for people who never installed CFW right??

What I mean is, I already have a CFW 3ds, but if I go to ebay let's say to buy a completely new 3ds. Won't I be able to insert CFW just the same way I did with the old 3ds of mine 5 years ago? After all the new one should come with system 9.0 or something. Right??
Yes, you can use skaterhax (once it's updated) to install unsafe mode which can install CFW. Fully updated 3DS' will still be able to be hacked.

zektor

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I find it absolutely ridiculous as everyone else does that Nintendo decided to give one last FU (or maybe this is not the last?) in the form of an update to patch exploits on a damn system that has not been available for purchase for three years. It's bad enough that these are being scalped for hundreds more than what they are worth, but add this to the mix. Fuck off Nintendo...really.

I didn't update past 11.16 and I do not plan to regardless of it being "safe" or not. I removed all internet connectivity from my 2DS. I just did the same thing to both of my CFW Wii U consoles just for peace of mind.

What's next? Going to push an update to my Wii since I have that connected for RiiConnect24?

There was no money to be made by doing this and as a matter of fact it cost them money in order to do it. I have to believe it was all of the social media "hShop" feeds that sparked this one.

• Sad

Mike_77712

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So the verdict is, if you're on Luma 11.0 or higher it's safe to update the system firmware? I'd like to play online but i'm guessing it requires the latest update

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
They can't patch ntrboot. It's a bootrom exploit.
I don't know how they would patch a bootrom exploit either, but the early reports of "they patched all the exploits!!1!!" seemed to suggest they'd done something. Clearly those reports were exaggerated.

Yes, you can use skaterhax (once it's updated) to install unsafe mode which can install CFW. Fully updated 3DS' will still be able to be hacked.
To be completely clear, Skaterhax is only an option for New 3DS units. As of yet there is no equivalent exploit for the "Spider" browser on old2ds/old3ds.

There was no money to be made by doing this and as a matter of fact it cost them money in order to do it. I have to believe it was all of the social media "hShop" feeds that sparked this one.
Presumably they took this opportunity to fix a bunch of other bothersome bugs related to the eShop closure that no one has mentioned yet. (Trying to purchase DLC in Mii Plaza produced a crash, for instance.)

And yes, presumably they don't want people thinking, "Gee, everyone's saying the 3DS is easy to hack, so I bet that means I can buy a Switch and not have to pay for any games either!". They also probably don't want people thinking, "My friend got a 3DS and now it has a blinking blue light! Nintendo products are crap and I'm not going to buy a Switch!"

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Good job Nintendo. We have no need for pirates. Gaming is a privilege, not a right if your spending all your money on frivolous stuff like rent and food maybe you shouldn't be gaming in the first place

• Haha
Reactions: 17hitcombooo

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/22tVWwmTie8?si=2CEDZldUW5ODozYh meh