Nintendo Wii Drops to $129.99

Arm73

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Guys, take it easy, these new Wii bundles are not meant for us.
Reggie said it several times that they intend to continue support for the Wii and lower the price further to make it available to an audience that still din't get the chance to get one.
That audience being Latin America, families with less income who can't afford / don't want to buy an expensive console for their kids or even casual gamers that for one reason or another didn't pick one up yet and so a price cut, plus Wii Sports and Resort bundle together with a huge library of available games would represent a really good value for those families.
Reggie also said that he would like to sell Wiis for a couple of more years a la PS2 and try to slowly shift several more million units to places like Latin America where last generation systems are just becoming affordable.

I have a Wii since launch day, and at first I loved the GC compatibility, but honestly even though my Wii is hard chipped with a Wiikey and I can burn and flawlessly play any GC game even with audio streaming, I could easily do without.
I played most games that I wanted to play at the time on the GC, and the few that I didn't manage to get, didn't really age that well and I'd rather spend my limited gaming time on some PC game or even on the Wii U when it comes out.
So really, it's a nice plus, but my GC controller and memory cards are just collecting dust since 2006.
I can't imagine some new casual gamer that never had a console before , wanted to buy a Wii for GC games nowadays....

If what you claim Reggie says is true then that's good. The issue I have is that I don't think these poor families and Latin America should get a half-assed Wii experience. If there were still doing system updates, took the time to give us an updated browser and added in some MiiVerse features, just small stuff then the system would be worth the 129. Right now it's really only worth 99. Not saying hat the Wii is a crappy system. I LOVE my Wii but let's face it, nobody deserves a half-assed experience within the console's ability.

I understand what you are saying, but tell me how would a new Wii be a "half-assed experience" to some casual gamers that just got into play and all they want to do is play some Wii Sport or New Super Mario Bros.
Heck, these bundles are meant for families that don't even have an internet connection at home (again, not your or my home but even some small village in South America ) and can't download shit.
Why would they care for an internet channel update ?
If that's what they are after, there is a much better alternative: A Wii U........

Reactions: 1 person

Issac

Iᔕᔕᗩᑕ
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
So getting a broken product, which gets updates over the course of several years is better, than getting the fixed system? Because getting updates is what makes it half assed? why?

Well I know what we'll do. We remove all functions that have appeared since the wii launch, and then we add one every few months back again, so they gett the full Wii experience!

LightyKD

Future CEO of OUYA Inc.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Guys, take it easy, these new Wii bundles are not meant for us.
Reggie said it several times that they intend to continue support for the Wii and lower the price further to make it available to an audience that still din't get the chance to get one.
That audience being Latin America, families with less income who can't afford / don't want to buy an expensive console for their kids or even casual gamers that for one reason or another didn't pick one up yet and so a price cut, plus Wii Sports and Resort bundle together with a huge library of available games would represent a really good value for those families.
Reggie also said that he would like to sell Wiis for a couple of more years a la PS2 and try to slowly shift several more million units to places like Latin America where last generation systems are just becoming affordable.

I have a Wii since launch day, and at first I loved the GC compatibility, but honestly even though my Wii is hard chipped with a Wiikey and I can burn and flawlessly play any GC game even with audio streaming, I could easily do without.
I played most games that I wanted to play at the time on the GC, and the few that I didn't manage to get, didn't really age that well and I'd rather spend my limited gaming time on some PC game or even on the Wii U when it comes out.
So really, it's a nice plus, but my GC controller and memory cards are just collecting dust since 2006.
I can't imagine some new casual gamer that never had a console before , wanted to buy a Wii for GC games nowadays....

If what you claim Reggie says is true then that's good. The issue I have is that I don't think these poor families and Latin America should get a half-assed Wii experience. If there were still doing system updates, took the time to give us an updated browser and added in some MiiVerse features, just small stuff then the system would be worth the 129. Right now it's really only worth 99. Not saying hat the Wii is a crappy system. I LOVE my Wii but let's face it, nobody deserves a half-assed experience within the console's ability.

I understand what you are saying, but tell me how would a new Wii be a "half-assed experience" to some casual gamers that just got into play and all they want to do is play some Wii Sport or New Super Mario Bros.
Heck, these bundles are meant for families that don't even have an internet connection at home (again, not your or my home but even some small village in South America ) and can't download shit.
Why would they care for an internet channel update ?
If that's what they are after, there is a much better alternative: A Wii U........

You would be surprised what "poor" people have. I can tell you that people who waited this long for whatever reason will have enough "I finally have one" jealously that they are going to want to try every feature they can with the Wii. Honestly the Wii is not a complete console and still has room for improvement with maybe one or two more system updates. Not to mention, yes there are a lot of games currently on the system but when customers don't see new games coming out for their system, it makes them feel as if they purchased a lemon :P -Nintendo should partner with some mobile developers and try to get some Android games ported to the WII. I'm sure customers would get a kick out of a Angry Birds or a Words With Friends port.

So getting a broken product, which gets updates over the course of several years is better, than getting the fixed system? Because getting updates is what makes it half assed? why?

Well I know what we'll do. We remove all functions that have appeared since the wii launch, and then we add one every few months back again, so they gett the full Wii experience!

I think you need to go back and re-read EVERYTHING I have said. I said nothing about removing functions. I simply said that the Wii in its current state is not worth 129.99

Issac

Iᔕᔕᗩᑕ
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
You'll have to be outright stupid to buy a "new" console 6 years after the release, right when the new console is coming out, and be dissapointed when there are "no new games" like it was just released...

LightyKD

Future CEO of OUYA Inc.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You'll have to be outright stupid to buy a "new" console 6 years after the release, right when the new console is coming out, and be dissapointed when there are "no new games" like it was just released...

Now you're getting my point! I understand there are poor people out there just getting into the game but, I think it's unfair to them to buy this system at $129 when there are no new games or features announced for next year.

Arm73

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy

Now you're getting my point! I understand there are poor people out there just getting into the game but, I think it's unfair to them to buy this system at $129 when there are no new games or features announced for next year.

I believe he was being sarcastic.
He means, that whoever comes this late into the game and decides now to get the 6 years old Wii, doesn't really care about new games or new features....they have a large library of already released games on the cheap to very cheap to choose from....... ;)

Hence, "they'd have to be outright stupid to buy a "new" console 6 years after the release, right when the new console is coming out, and be dissapointed when there are "no new games" like it was just released..."

If they do it , it's because they don't care......you got the point ?

Issac

Iᔕᔕᗩᑕ
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Why would that be unfair? And You'll have to go back and re-read my post. I never said that you said anything about removing functions. I said that. Since you said it would be an half-assed wii experience if they don't get updates, I said "remove all functions and let them have the updates like we did, several years ago".

And I don't think that I am getting your point... Since I call them (the buyers) stupid if they expect new games and features announced for a six year old system... I get what you're saying, but I don't agree :)

EDIT: Basicly what ARM73 ninja-said! :D

ShadowSoldier

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
That seems a bit steep still. Is that the price of the ones without GC ports?

Yes, these are the systems without the GameCube ports. I think that this is a STUPID move. I don't mind the price drop but the system is worth $99.99 new NOT $129.99. I could see if the Internet Channel was still being updated, we were still getting Wii System updates and if there were still games coming out well into 2013. We're getting NOTHING! When the PS2 was dropped to 129.99, it was still worth it. They still had games coming out. The last PS2 game I can remember was WWE: SmackDown vs. RAW 2011 (year 2010). That's right, PS2 had NEW games being released for it, FOUR years after the PS3's release. This is not the case with the Wii and Wii U. After Epic Mickey 2, the Wii is DEAD and the community here, sadly, doesn't give a shit about the Wii so why would anyone in their right mind buy a GameCube-less Wii console ?!?!

Because I already have a GameCube.

I'm going to buy this. I had a hacked Wii, but it just randomly stopped reading all discs. So I have Skyward Sword that I want to finish. Maybe get a Wii collection going on. Decent price too.

LightyKD

Future CEO of OUYA Inc.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You know what. I have just one word for those of you that think that think that $129.99 is a good price for the Wii. You people should really let this word sink in...

OUYA

LightyKD

Future CEO of OUYA Inc.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You know what. I have just one word for those of you that think that think that $129.99 is a good price for the Wii. You people should really let this word sink in...

OUYA
I have 4 words for you:
Stop being butt hurt.

But hurt about what? I have a Wii and I'm happy about my console. Just because I don't want new Wii gamers to be gyped does not mean that I'm hurting in any form. Frankly (not talking games here, just purely hardware and featues) the Ouya demolishes the Wii when it comes to the bang/buck ratio.

ShadowSoldier

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

OUYA
I have 4 words for you:
Stop being butt hurt.

But hurt about what? I have a Wii and I'm happy about my console. Just because I don't want new Wii gamers to be gyped does not mean that I'm hurting in any form. Frankly (not talking games here, just purely hardware and featues) the Ouya demolishes the Wii when it comes to the bang/buck ratio.

So does a PC compared to a PS3 and 360, why bother with those?

You can't talk about the Wii without talking about the library, that's the main selling point of any console. And the Wii has a HUUUGE library full of great games, gems, remakes and ports. Fun that can't be found anywhere else.

LightyKD

Future CEO of OUYA Inc.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

OUYA
I have 4 words for you:
Stop being butt hurt.

You can't talk about the Wii without talking about the library, that's the main selling point of any console. And the Wii has a HUUUGE library full of great games, gems, remakes and ports. Fun that can't be found anywhere else.

PC vs PS360 = apples/oranges

I'm only comparing consoles and yes there's no denying that the Wii has a great library but if I was going to purchase something right now, I would want it to have some future proofing and currently the Wii has none.

ShadowSoldier

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

OUYA
I have 4 words for you:
Stop being butt hurt.

I'm only comparing consoles and yes there's no denying that the Wii has a great library but if I was going to purchase something right now, I would want it to have some future proofing and currently the Wii has none.

Probably because it's at the end of it's life cycle and bigger and better things are coming, so why continue supporting it? I mean, pretty much everybody (such as yourself) have already been calling the Wii dead for at least a year now. And now that it's at the end of it's cycle, people are complaining? The console is at a perfect price. It's not expensive at all, and with Wii games being cheap, it's a win win situation no matter what. If it doesn't appeal to you, simply don't complain or bother with it. Easy as that.

Also, you were comparing a hardware situation. And seeing as how PC is a gaming platform, it has every right to be compared to PS360.

LightyKD

Future CEO of OUYA Inc.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

OUYA
I have 4 words for you:
Stop being butt hurt.

Probably because it's at the end of it's life cycle and bigger and better things are coming, so why continue supporting it? I mean, pretty much everybody (such as yourself) have already been calling the Wii dead for at least a year now. And now that it's at the end of it's cycle, people are complaining? The console is at a perfect price. It's not expensive at all, and with Wii games being cheap, it's a win win situation no matter what. If it doesn't appeal to you, simply don't complain or bother with it. Easy as that.

Also, you were comparing a hardware situation. And seeing as how PC is a gaming platform, it has every right to be compared to PS360.

Let's not start the PC vs Consoles argument ;)

tueidj

I R Expert
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Again, the only difference is a few Gamecube games. It's still a system with a library of over 1700 games, plus the Virtual Console and WiiWare titles. You mean this new Wii isn't worth $130 to you, but there are a lot of people who are only interested in the Wii titles, and will probably be willing to pay.
It's not "a few" gamecube games, it's practically all of them. Not sure where you're getting the idea that all except a handful were re-released as wii games because it certainly never happened.

ferofax

End of the World
Trophies
Website
nonwhatso.blogspot.com
XP
Country
but on the other hand, not that many people buy a new console for previous generation games :P
Buying a Wii for GC games is a better option than buying a Gamecube, if you ask me.
Plus Nintendo's kind of got us spoiled with their tendency to do backwards compatibility. I for one do not mind how one platform has its own library plus the library before it.

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You people are f*cking high. Hardware and 2 games for $130? That means the Wii itself is only $50 or something! That's a $100 price drop!

Now they're almost as cheap as used Gamecubes with a few games.
$24.35 + $19.99 = $44.34
$130 - $44.34 = $85.66

$39.99(regular price) + $19.99 = $59.98
$130 - $59.98 = $70.02

Assuming these games or at one one of them aren't old enough to sell for a much lower price or even free.

OUYA
OUYA? The console that the size of a Rubik's cube built from smartphone hardware? A console that leaves out retail games? A console with no motion controls at all? A console meant only for low budget games/devs? A console that not even out yet?

Not saying OUYA is bad, but I'm saying that isn't a good counterpoint.

LightyKD

Future CEO of OUYA Inc.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

OUYA
OUYA? The console that the size of a Rubik's cube built from smartphone hardware? A console that leaves out retail games? A console with no motion controls at all?
A console meant only for low budget games/devs? A console that not even out yet?

Not saying OUYA is bad, but I'm saying that isn't a good counterpoint.

You just said it, Ouya isn't out yet and please, throw your game elitism aside. There are PLENTY of Android games that are on the level of 3DS/Vita games. Not every Ouya game will be low budget and indy. Namco Bandai and Square Enix have already announced support for the platform and I'm sure many more developers and publishers will join. Also, considering that there are a lot of WiiWare ports coming to Android, we have a good start. As for motion, I talked to some Ouya rep and was told that developers are allowed to use any controller they want. Hell, I'm even tempted to add Wii Remote support to my Ouya project so the no motion control point is moot.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    a_username_that_isnt_cool @ a_username_that_isnt_cool: @Xdqwerty, about to