Gaming overclocking

blitzer320

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
does anyone know anything about overclocking a pentium dual-core e5200 on a ecs g31t-m7 motherboard i know i've read that its not stable but i just need to go from 2.5 to about 3.0 to get pcsx2 to play smooth. I just built this pc and don't feel like getting a new motherboard until i have enough money for an i7 so any help would be great

Diablo1123

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Try it and see if it works?
Overclocking is normally BIOS stuff so it'll depend on your motherboard.

I've got an ECS motherboard too, I hate it, but it overclocks my Pentium D 805 from 2.66Ghz to 3 GHz fine, I'd do more but no point.

Njrg

Kinsoku Jikou Desu. ^.~
Banned
Trophies
Website
www.ds-scene.net
XP
Country
United States
Diablo1123 said:
Try it and see if it works?
Overclocking is normally BIOS stuff so it'll depend on your motherboard.

I've got an ECS motherboard too, I hate it, but it overclocks my Pentium D 805 from 2.66Ghz to 3 GHz fine, I'd do more but no point.
I think he's asking how to...

Which kind of seems like a pointless question as pretty much every computer is different being theres like a kajillion motherboards out there.

Strider

Next to the mainstream
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Take this friendly advice: if you don't really know what you're doing, just leave it. Also, it's mostly not even worth it (in performance).

It's far better to clean up your PC regarding software and tuning games seperately.

blitzer320

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
okay i know how to overclock but from reading online people have had issues with ecs motherboards i didn't think it would work from the bios so i never tried i could only get it to go to 230 without my pc acting crazy and it still didn't matter only a little performance boost my only problem is pcsx2 when i get in game it slows down and i have a fresh install of windows 7 so i know i don't have to clean my pc with 4gb of ram and when playing a game my cpu usage skyrockets to 99 and stays there so i have concluded that this is the problem and its not the game because i have seen it play at full speed thank you all for your time but it seem theres nothing more i can do but get a better cpu

upbumpo190

Trophies
Website
ethericwarriors.eu
XP
Country
France
I know this emulator, is relies heavily on processor speed (it has to emulate 3 different CPUs, all of different types/architectures.)

I have a Celeron Dual Core E1200 overclocked from 1.6 to 3.0 GHz on an MSI P35-Neo motherboard, which is in the same family as the G31, yours. I also have a G31 in another computer and it overclocks just the same, just make sure you buy or have a better cooler, the stock won't be enough for 3.0 GHz.

I have an ASUS Triton 77, which gets me around 45°C idle.

I would increase by 25 MHz everytime, pay CLOSE attention to the temps, run PCSX2, push it to the max until you know it's safe (or use pressure test programs) and then increase again.

3.0 it not that much, you could go for 3.2 GHz on that, with a little vcore increase, but maybe not even.

The G31s are bad overclockers overall, but for you and me, FSB is all we need to change. Like I said, watch your temperatures!

50°C is too hot when not doing anything (idle), you want at least 47°C. 52-55 is pretty good on load.

Chris

EDIT: By the way, go into PCSX2's CPU configuration and enable MTGS (multi-threaded GS mode), I can garantee you a 60% speed increase. Also, download the latest PCSX2 beta and plugins, also a major speedup. (If you really want speed, in the new PCSX2, the speedhacks, under config really speed up the game.) I play Kingdom Hearts Final Mix + @ 60 FPS with this.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Welp