Hacking PoC - Boot NeoGamma via Disc Channel!

FGOD

Wii gaming bitch
Trophies
Website
www.familievermeylen.nl
XP
Country
Netherlands
if that is the only problem... i would love to get the backups working with revolution just by "booting after booting" then so be it :P
It won't make riivolution (that is the name of the application. not revolution) load backups. Why on earth would it do that? ALL this does is load an app. Nothing more, nothing less. Will be no different to loading it from the official Riivolution channel or HBC.

no idea, cause it makes it possible to autoboot something from the disc channel to load backups as it uses the ios 249 but i thought it might be able to load riivolution too and trick riivolution in some way to load up backups? damn i wish it could...

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
no idea, cause it makes it possible to autoboot something from the disc channel to load backups as it uses the ios 249 but i thought it might be able to load riivolution too and trick riivolution in some way to load up backups? damn i wish it could...
ALL this does is load a channel when you click the "Start" button on Disc Channel. Nothing more, it doesn't change the IOS the app will use (if it did, Riivolution wouldn't work anyway) or anything else.

Rockmaniac

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
First of all a HUGE thanks to DaMysteryMan. This really gets rid of the need for darkcorp..also I loved the nightmare voice video.

BUT - is there someway I can access the settings of this version of Neogamma? Maybe this can be added if pressing a button during loading?

Main reason being wanting to do saves - it allows no Memory Card of any kind on GameCube games - I'd do it in the Wii's memory - or on a real GameCube Memory Card - and third option - in the SD Card. I have tried both with GC Memory Card in - and not in.

The games I tried are Multi GC Discs.

Second question I have is - is it possible to somehow change to custom controls in button mapping? Maybe more of a question for NeoGamma, idk, but just wanted to throw out the question to you guys in the know - what I mean - is for example try to fix the button fuckup in the Gamecube Mega Man Collection for example.

Rockmaniac

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Question is - did I do something wrong? I got option 1 set to 249 - everything perfect except games can't save - no memory card found - goes especially for Gamecube games. PLEASE fix this - or tell me howto.

*snip*
And I have a question (more like a request) now:

is anybody interested in maybe adding a few extra modifications to the above linked NeoGamma autoboot source (such as Wiinnertag/DUTag support <- DONE., or saving config to NAND instead of relying on a SD card)? I believe these features would be very nice to use via Disc Channel, but I do not know how to add these features myself...
*snip*

Rockmaniac

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Yeah I noticed that - been trying to reach AbdallahTerro too who seems to have been involved in this somehow - but no luck yet...

Huge thanks for replying... -

but as to your suggestion - I have regular neogamma. set w saves & all - won't help.

Maybe this hidden channel relies on something other than the normal neogamma.cfg..?

The OP left the scene a long time ago. He hasn't even been on the forum for 6 months.

Try downloading the official NeoGamma, loading it from the HBC, and saving settings through there. It should modify the included NeoGamma.cfg file.

JoostinOnline

Certified Crash Test Dummy
Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
Yeah I noticed that - been trying to reach AbdallahTerro too who seems to have been involved in this somehow - but no luck yet...

Huge thanks for replying... -

but as to your suggestion - I have regular neogamma. set w saves & all - won't help.

Maybe this hidden channel relies on something other than the normal neogamma.cfg..?
I took a quick look at the source, and it appears to load the config file. Try comparing the included .cfg file with the one you have after editing (with a hex editor) to see if they are different. If you don't have a hex editor, HxD is a nice portable one.

Rockmaniac

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I have a gazillion year-old version of Neogamma - will try to update it and see if that helps before trying any HEX editing...being the n00b I sadly am.

I took a quick look at the source, and it appears to load the config file. Try comparing the included .cfg file with the one you have after editing (with a hex editor) to see if they are different. If you don't have a hex editor, HxD is a nice portable one.

Better options? The way I see it - I use all my original games in any region + backups discs in any region in one spot - without screwing w too many cIOS. - this is my no1 choice. I use lots of original games still -

For GC isos I tend to use Nintendont - but for my old burnt multgame discs - and old wrong region game discs this is perfect. even if a bit slow in loading...

if only that saving issue would be fixed. hopefully a Neogamma update will fix it.

Is this still used for a specific game?
Seeing there are far beter options to load games nowadays.

JoostinOnline

Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
NeoGamma won't be updated. Like most Wii homebrew, it was abandoned years ago.

You only need two cIOS's, and if you're running NeoGamma, you probably already have them. Just get a dirt cheap HDD and use GX, Wiiflow, or Cfg USB Loader. Burned discs run at half speed anyway.

This is a proof of concept project. It was just an example that it was possible to redirect from the Disc Channel to another app using patches.

Rockmaniac

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I have never seen even the smallest lag on a GC game using Neogamma via this POC...which i know it is. I rarely play wii games though...unless they are my own. The greatest reason is the out of region game allowance of gamecube originals. got a few NTSC only which i haven't been able to play otherwise...

- as for old - I have Neogamma r8 beta 8, so will try upgrading to check...

Rockmaniac

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
The update seemed to change the save config. BUT - I have set to 249 for this POC - what settings am I supposed to choose for saves to SD Card? How can I know?
SD using cIOS was the setting activated - that didn't work

my other SD choices are SD using IOS36 - and SD using IOS61 (being on NTSC Wii 4.3) - no danger with any of the choices, right?

So - tested all 3 options - neither worked for SD saving on GameCube games - 36 & 61 however worked for reading the GameCube memory card - so going with one of those two.

Is there a preference as to which to use for something like this?

Last edited by Rockmaniac,

Rockmaniac

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Ahhhh

Well - that explains it - but confusing choices at saving? says usb - or sd - in different ports? - or is that only for Wii - and not for Gamecube? - and if THAT is the case - why put the setting under General - to make people think it goes for both..?

Either way - thanks a lot for clearing that up - good thing the other two IOS-setting allowed for the GC memory card to be read. ;)

I'm sorry, I was totally confused. I hadn't slept in quite some time.

NeoGamma does not support SD saves. You'll need Nintendont or (for Wii games) GX/Wiiflow and an emunand for that.

JoostinOnline

Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
GC games don't run under IOS. They run under MIOS.

Those settings you are seeing are probably a reference to the long since discontinued No More Memory project. NeoGamma is super out of date, because you're the only person in the world who still used burned discs. :P

Rockmaniac

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
LOL. I sorta doubt that as I know quite a few people who would if they knew howto - my main reason however is to be able to use OTHER region ORIGINAL game discs directly from disc channel ;) mostly Gamecube but some Wii.

I'm in Sweden - but regionchanged my wii for better compatibility with most games I have. I play Megaman Anniversary and X collection all the time - these were only released in NTSC territory.

I had no way of getting NTSC wads working when my Wii was PAL - I wanted Mega Man 6 inject - so I used Any Region Changer - and now its nearly flawless. Only thing is I don't have enough memory for all the games/ forwarders I want on the System Menu.

BTW - this is for a different thread - but is it possible to make a forwarder that is not dependant on an apps specific version? I have a super forwarder for Nintendont - but if I update version of Nintendont - the forwarder doesn't allow me to exit to HBC like before - but exits into black screen nothingness.

Other than this - next step is to read up on the Gamecube forwarders. I'd want Nintendont specific game forwarders...but seems a hassle ;)

GC games don't run under IOS. They run under MIOS.

Those settings you are seeing are probably a reference to the long since discontinued No More Memory project. NeoGamma is super out of date, because you're the only person in the world who still used burned discs. :P

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/shdHKa4iBbE?si=Vnb_FMMV54y2aarW lol Mario give me cancer