Trophies
Website
www.holidaygamerz.zoomshare.com
XP
Country
Pokemon Ranger Shadows of Almia

Characters.jpg

Introduction:
Much like the first installment of Pokemon Ranger for DS, you become a Pokemon Ranger in the game (well duh?).. This involves saving Pokemon in need of help and taking 'quests' for people which involve numerous themes.. Unlike Pokemon Ranger, Shadows of Almia or formally known as SoA includes beautiful scenery, such as looking over cliffs at the surrounding escarpment and walking through many different weather conditions such as fires and blizzards..

Just one of the many Scenic sights in SoA
pokemon-ranger-2-egg-screenshot.jpg

You start in the Ranger School and eventually graduate. You then become a Pokemon Ranger at Vientown, and you begin to fight against Team Dim Sum, involving destroying Gigaremo and Miniremo machines. These are machines that can take over pokemon mentally, and Team Dim Sum can control these Pokemon. The main part of these machines is a Dark Gem and there are other gems which you must collect from around the Pokemon world. But you have to fight the affected pokemon. It is your job, as a Pokemon Ranger to save these Pokemon and show that you are a Top Ranger...

Gameplay:
A lot like the first installment of Pokemon Ranger, you use your stylus and draw loops around Pokemon to capture them.. However, Pokemon attack your capture line and your energy decreases. If your energy reaches zero, your stylus burns out, formally known as Game Over. After quite a bit of experience, you level up and your energy increases. You can get help from Pokemon, such as your Partner Pomeon (A pokemon which travels around with you at all times) or a Friend Pokemon (A pokemon which you capture and befriend which you can only use once). Just like normal pokemon, some Types of Pokemon have an advantage over others (such as Water being stronger then fire). This makes this certain Pokemon stronger then the other, weaker one.

pokemon-apokemonrangerscreen01.jpg

Other new features include the Power Charge, Holding your stylus on the screen you gain double the power.. There are many more features, but Im not going to ruin then for the viewers..
The story involved in this new Pokemon Ranger is very entertaining, involving lots of characters, Pokemon and different varieties of gameplay, such as being able to go underwater to being in the middle of a forest fire.. This is what keeps this game from getting boring like the first one and the story makes you want to play more and keeps you pondering on what is going to happen next.

There are many more Target Clears to perform and you can use Pokemon in a whole variety of Target clears (Such as swimming, going underwater, flying etc..)

The capture line
206825-3-2.jpg

Going underwater is just as fun as it looks..
Pok-mon-Ranger-Batonnage--10.jpg

9/10

Graphics:
The graphics in SoA have improved quite a lot outside of the battle front. The scenery, Weather Conditions and items lying around are just some of the improvements and this makes the game less boring and more entertaining.. The scenery is just amazing on behalf of the Pokemon Company..

pokemon-ranger-2-egg-screenshot.jpg

However, the graphics in the battles havent changed a terrible lot. Apart from the occasional scene when you are in a fire or in the middle of a blizzard, The Sprites and overall movement of the pokemon are unchanged.

Overall, the graphics have improved dramatically in my opinion and this makes the game more worthy to be played.

9/10

Sound:

Well, theres not much to say about the sound, apart from the fact its alright. It could have been better but what can you expect for a kids game... The music changes very frequently exiting and entering different locations and it is thoroughly entertaining to listen to. The cries from Pokemon and sound of the weather all add to the overall sound which is great and in my opinion adds to the whole game.

7.5/10

Lasting Replay:

As there are 60 side quests to complete and the fact you can complete your browser (Like a Pokedex) there is a whole lot of other stuff to complete.. Lots of people want help, and you are there to do so and by doing that you can capture all kinds of Pokemon therefore completely your Browser and a new quest opens..

8/10

Overall:

Pokemon Ranger Shadows of Almia is a worthwhile play for any Pokemon fan. Its a completely different type of Pokemon game and deserves more recognition for its greatness. The change of gameplay makes this game amazing and along with the storyline, graphics, sound and lasting replay makes this game oustanding. It has kept me entertained for over 10 hours and I am still playing it now.. Oh, and did I mention fast paced??

9.5/10

Extended Note:

Ive had just about as much fun reviewing this as I have had playing this.. And thats a lot of fun.. On the scale of 1 to 10 in reviewing this game, I give you a......

pokemon-diamond-20070321104300431.jpg

smileipb2.png

Happy Gaming

Hehe Moo

Moo?
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Hmm.. how come there's no Fast Reply button?

Anyways, nice review Curley. No need to be picky and annoying... but I think this part: "Shadows of Almia or formally known as SoA" should be "Shadows of Almia or informally known as SoA"..

biggrin.gif
Sorry for being an annoying idiot xD

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: updated ship of harkinian, gonna install some hd texture pack