PS Jailbreak - The first PS3 Modchip

TrickyTony

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I dont get it. Is this really all that different from a standard USB thumb drive? Won't some other hacker just break down whatever security this has and make it free?

overlord00

A motherfucking birdplane
Trophies
XP
Country
TrickyTony said:
I dont get it. Is this really all that different from a standard USB thumb drive? Won't some other hacker just break down whatever security this has and make it free?

no doubt they will... like the magic memory stick with the psp.
probably just a copy bit for bit of the usb drive... more news with time, and real hackers.

Jiggah

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
TrickyTony said:

Yes, it's different. Early reports are that it contains a microprocessor of some sort, which probably injects the partial debug firmware. It's not just a standard USB key. When plugged into a PC it does not show up as a storage device. Hackers are going to be breaking it down when it gets released. It might be possible to create your own with the correct soldering skills and Radioshack parts, but no one knows right now. There are however reports that clones are already going to be produced, which means cheaper alternatives.

redact

‮҉
Trophies
XP
Country
Mauritania
raiderscrusade said:
Question:

When a backup is made, is there any possibility the disc could be damaged?
id assume itd be the same as playing a game

As long as your bd drive doesnt chew up disks then everything should be fine..

antwill

Better Than You
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Fun_Zephyr said:
But to go a few steps further:

F1 2010 - $108 - http://www.ebgames.com.au/ps3-150298-F1-2010-PlayStation-3
Call of Duty Black Ops - $118 - http://www.ebgames.com.au/ps3-150382-Call-...s-PlayStation-3
FIFA 11 - $108 - http://www.ebgames.com.au/ps3-150505-FIFA-11-PlayStation-3
Medal of Honor: Tear 1 - $108 - http://www.ebgames.com.au/ps3-150464-Medal...1-PlayStation-3
Fallout New Vegas - $108 - http://www.ebgames.com.au/ps3-149753-Fallo...s-PlayStation-3

That is about 6 examples in total.... I would use it to backup my game snot download the games

EDIT: Some of the above come with exclusive to ebGame crap - but they will always be that even when that ends. www.game.com.au sell for around the same price too.
How is that an accurate list when none of those games are out yet at all?
http://www.game.com.au/search?dpt=11 Then ordering by price is a way more accurate example.

Hasney

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
TrickyTony said:

58-pin MCU is inside. This is not a USB Flash Drive with some data on it.

overlord00

Trophies
XP
Country
Hasney said:
TrickyTony said:

fair enough, i retract my statement... or do i?!
no, i really dont. hackers will more than likely find a way around this either with the clones or a diy solution.

raiderscrusade

Trophies
XP
Country
overlord00 said:
Hasney said:
TrickyTony said:

no, i really dont. hackers will more than likely find a way around this either with the clones or a diy solution.

Praying for a DIY solution, as is everyone else no doubt.

A cheap DIY solution, that is.

Hasney

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
overlord00 said:
Hasney said:
TrickyTony said:

Oh yeah, no doubt. But if that is a requirement, then the cost of making one yourself will be higher than just buy a USB Flash Drive and dumping some data on it.

hundshamer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
OrGoN3 said:
hundshamer said:
psykobug said:
a fench site tested it with a burnt BR disc , it don't work . you need to insert the original BR in your ps3 . so no massive internet piracy for now
wink.gif
Not necessarily. If you can rip a game to the FAT32 HDD on the PS3, then you can connect the HDD to the PC and upload the files within to the usual places.

You need ANY retail PS3 game in the drive for this to work. It doesn't matter what it is, it just needs to be there so the dongle can activate bdemu.

Also, slims, and all PS3s actually, can play PS3 and PS1 games natively (retail discs or downloads). PS2 compatibility was removed to remind consumers to purchase the still active stock of PS2, or to get PS2 to die. Probably the former since they are still allowing 3rd party vendors to release games on PS2 (ie, Madden 11).
I think you misunderstood me. I'm not talking about launching the manager. I'm saying that once ripped to the HDD (the game files the manager launches) it then can be uploaded to the usual places, therefore a surge in piracy. Not that you can launch with a BD-r. I think the original quote is saying you can't use the manager to play the BD-r either.

overlord00

Trophies
XP
Country
as i said, was hoping for a MMS-type solution, however this seems unlikely atm, which is sad.
also, OzModChips is REALLY expensive. bought R4's for my DS lite back in the day, cos a butt-load, other places on the net sell the same stuff for way cheaps, and no doubt that the "PS Jailbreak" will sell cheaper elsewhere too

Fun_Zephyr

Trophies
XP
Country
antwill said:
Fun_Zephyr said:
But to go a few steps further:

F1 2010 - $108 - http://www.ebgames.com.au/ps3-150298-F1-2010-PlayStation-3
Call of Duty Black Ops - $118 - http://www.ebgames.com.au/ps3-150382-Call-...s-PlayStation-3
FIFA 11 - $108 - http://www.ebgames.com.au/ps3-150505-FIFA-11-PlayStation-3
Medal of Honor: Tear 1 - $108 - http://www.ebgames.com.au/ps3-150464-Medal...1-PlayStation-3
Fallout New Vegas - $108 - http://www.ebgames.com.au/ps3-149753-Fallo...s-PlayStation-3

That is about 6 examples in total.... I would use it to backup my game snot download the games

EDIT: Some of the above come with exclusive to ebGame crap - but they will always be that even when that ends. www.game.com.au sell for around the same price too.
How is that an accurate list when none of those games are out yet at all?
http://www.game.com.au/search?dpt=11 Then ordering by price is a way more accurate example.
That WILL be the price in AU. it is the way it is. God of War III was over $100.

Do not forget the first example of White Knight Chronicles... You seemed to leave that out. Proof of one game was asked and provided. I simply gave more as further example.

You want another RELEASED example aside from White Knight Chronicles:

Try God of War III - $118 - http://www.ebgames.com.au/ps3-147837-God-o...3-PlayStation-3

Any disputes with God of War III and White Knight Chronicles?

And YES - Sorting via Price would have also showed this for games already out
smile.gif

EDIT: I buy my games off eBay out of the UK. It is much cheaper. Saved over $70 on White Knight Chronicles that way. And YES I was quoting AUD not USD as I live in Australia
smile.gif

EDIT 2: I have never had an issue buying from OzMod and their prices.

Yeah - if you buy out of the US you might get it cheaper... The trouble starts if the item is faulty. But also, it is always cheaper to buy out of AU. Look at REAL LEGO. AU pay WAY more than the US for the same set. A particular set for AU was $970+ but if I got it sent to a US resident then sent to me from them I would have got it for less than AUD$750.... And this was purchasing directly from LEGO. They just have different sell prices to AU than they do the US etc... Just the way it works.

raiderscrusade

Trophies
XP
Country
hundshamer said:
OrGoN3 said:
hundshamer said:
psykobug said:
a fench site tested it with a burnt BR disc , it don't work . you need to insert the original BR in your ps3 . so no massive internet piracy for now
wink.gif
Not necessarily. If you can rip a game to the FAT32 HDD on the PS3, then you can connect the HDD to the PC and upload the files within to the usual places.

You need ANY retail PS3 game in the drive for this to work. It doesn't matter what it is, it just needs to be there so the dongle can activate bdemu.

Also, slims, and all PS3s actually, can play PS3 and PS1 games natively (retail discs or downloads). PS2 compatibility was removed to remind consumers to purchase the still active stock of PS2, or to get PS2 to die. Probably the former since they are still allowing 3rd party vendors to release games on PS2 (ie, Madden 11).
I think you misunderstood me. I'm not talking about launching the manager. I'm saying that once ripped to the HDD (the game files the manager launches) it then can be uploaded to the usual places, therefore a surge in piracy. Not that you can launch with a BD-r. I think the original quote is saying you can't use the manager to play the BD-r either.

I too was thinking this.

It all depends on the filesizes of the ripped backups, I guess, and also the amount of files ripped too.

Hopefully these ripped files are small, but I highly doubt it.

overlord00

Trophies
XP
Country
dont worry about going to places like the eb site, i can already tell you that without looking anywhere, it will be over $100 AUD... without a doubt... hell, even Sh!t wii games sell for that much, and some not even recent games.

raiderscrusade

Trophies
XP
Country
Also, when more news comes of this, and possible alternative cheaper methods are out, I will buy a used PS3 game for cheap as chips and then burn the rest by borrowing mates games.

If this was say, $60 like the original R4 from OzModChips, I'd pre order it even if it didn't work!

But I still cannot justify $170.

hundshamer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
raiderscrusade said:
hundshamer said:
OrGoN3 said:
hundshamer said:
psykobug said:
wink.gif

I too was thinking this.

It all depends on the filesizes of the ripped backups, I guess, and also the amount of files ripped too.

Hopefully these ripped files are small, but I highly doubt it.
If it's anything like the 360's jtag (glad to have made my own) then the files normally don't fill up the disc. The main problem I see is games with a file over 4GB (I haven't found one on the 360 yet) would have to be saved to the PS3's internal HDD therefore those games will not show up on the net. Unless they find a way to split files and have the backup manager merges them on the fly.

Critical_Impact

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
psykobug said:
wink.gif

I imagine it'd be smarter for someone to create a tool that rips games so that they can be copied straight onto the hdd(assuming you download them, and assuming you legally own the game)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: I played the intro to far cry 5, that is like some crazy Jim Jones cult shit. Still its petty...