PS5 edm-031 soutbridge resistor

stetofix

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Does someone have an edm-031 board and can give me a reading from a resistor (yellow marking)
and resistance to ground at the 3.3v line (orange marking)?

EDM-031_SB_resistor.png

Johnny_debt

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's weird. My edm-031 board doesn't have the yellow resistor on those pads. Instead that resistor is connected to ground on the 2 pads next to it. Meaning the resistor doesn't sit on the pads as shown in your picture.

Orange box is about 2.5k ohm to ground with the resistor in place.

stetofix

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
That's weird. My edm-031 board doesn't have the yellow resistor on those pads. Instead that resistor is connected to ground on the 2 pads next to it. Meaning the resistor doesn't sit on the pads as shown in your picture.

Orange box is about 2.5k ohm to ground with the resistor in place.
Thank you. :)

Now I'm more confused.

Only to confirm:
Your board is a fully working one.
At the yellow marking you don't have a resistor.
The line coming from the left is interrupted by a gap between the both pads at the 'missing' resistor. So there is no continuity from left to the right pad.
The occupied place on your board is instead on the right with a resistor connecting the narrower line on the right to ground.

Do you have a reading for resistance to ground at your resistor?

Johnny_debt

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thank you. :)

Now I'm more confused.

Only to confirm:
Your board is a fully working one.
At the yellow marking you don't have a resistor.
The line coming from the left is interrupted by a gap between the both pads at the 'missing' resistor. So there is no continuity from left to the right pad.
The occupied place on your board is instead on the right with a resistor connecting the narrower line on the right to ground.

Do you have a reading for resistance to ground at your resistor?
Sadly I put the edm-031 back together already. Confirm the edm-031 is a workinf board.

I do have an edm-030 which has the same setup. However on this board I harvested the sb, but it shouldn't affect the readings. All the sb pads were cleaned with wick. I took a reading with meter and it's odd, it seems like both sides are connected to ground. The resistor is like a 0.03 ohm, like a fuse. But the resistor is definitely on different pads than yours.

If my readings are right and your resistor was moved, then you've grounded the line next to it. Where your resistor is I'm getting k ohms.

Attachments

• 20231012_234939.jpg
    20231012_234939.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 58
Reactions: stetofix and jkyoho

stetofix

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
That helps me a lot. Thank you again. :)

I also think that my resistor is not at his correct place. I traced the line to the other side to see which bga pad of the southbridge it is and in compare to another board version edm-020, this pad goes direct to ground.

So my assumption was, that the resistor has not his correct value or was moved due to southbridge reflow of the previous repair attempt.

I will check if it solves my issue and be back.

Johnny_debt

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What are your symptoms when Powering on? If sb is shorted I would think you'll either not get a beep or it'll beep with no lights. The sb has to go thru its initialization check before system can power on and shorted line will probably stop it from doing that. However I may be wrong and this may be a non standby line and instead an enable line then you'll get blue light then off.

Also the resistor may of moved if applying heat from below to remove or reflow sb. I never had any issues applying heat directly on sb, the sb chips are pretty resilient to heat damage.

testerfan

Trophies
Website
www.fixxmaster.com
XP
Country
United States
To OP: your resistor is in the right place if you have CXD90069GG revision of the SB chip, the resistor is of different value and placement on the board as opposed to CXD90061GG revision, which is more common and probably what Johnny_debt is comparing it to on his board

stetofix

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
What are your symptoms when Powering on? If sb is shorted I would think you'll either not get a beep or it'll beep with no lights. The sb has to go thru its initialization check before system can power on and shorted line will probably stop it from doing that. However I may be wrong and this may be a non standby line and instead an enable line then you'll get blue light then off.

Also the resistor may of moved if applying heat from below to remove or reflow sb. I never had any issues applying heat directly on sb, the sb chips are pretty resilient to heat damage.

No response after pressing start. No light, no beep.
If I plug a bench power supply the ampere reading shows that the southbridge is not starting.
Maybe I can check EMC-TX if sb is posting something on serial.

I changed the southbridge twice. Put a known working one on and reballed the old one and checked it with an edm-020 board. And put the confirmed working sb back on the board.

A little cap at the 5V1 line was not correct soldered and the 12V to 5V Mosfet was only outputting 0.3-0.8V.
After I found the bad soldered cap and soldered it propper back the mosfet putts 5V1 out.

Next thing was, that the 3V3 line was shorted on the backside of the sb.

To OP: your resistor is in the right place if you have CXD90069GG revision of the SB chip, the resistor is of different value and placement on the board as opposed to CXD90061GG revision, which is more common and probably what @Johnny_debt is comparing it to on his board

Oh... never thought about a false sb version on this board. That would explain many things, if this is the issue in my case.

- After removing ths sb, the solderballs/pads were shiny like leaded solder.
- The shorted 3V3 line at 61GG Southbridge
- The discovery that the problematic pad is a ground pad at a edm-020 board

I guess there are more than one spot to change if I want to get a 61GG working on my board.

testerfan

Trophies
Website
www.fixxmaster.com
XP
Country
United States
you can't replace the 69GG SB version with 61GG, it has slightly different pinout (internally), and that's why you're getting shorts to GND under it on your board with a known good chip, but also it's coded to the NOR chip, so that's why you'll never get any power or initialization from the power supply even if you were to reroute the circuitry on the board to accommodate for the 61GG, you'll need to replace the NOR chip from a donor 1200 series model (that has 61GG chip on it).
Your best bet to get it working is actually getting a correct 69GG version of the SB chip for this board

Reactions: stetofix

stetofix

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
you can't replace the 69GG SB version with 61GG, it has slightly different pinout (internally), and that's why you're getting shorts to GND under it on your board with a known good chip, but also it's coded to the NOR chip, so that's why you'll never get any power or initialization from the power supply even if you were to reroute the circuitry on the board to accommodate for the 61GG, you'll need to replace the NOR chip from a donor 1200 series model (that has 61GG chip on it).
Your best bet to get it working is actually getting a correct 69GG version of the SB chip for this board

Thank you for the informations. :)

I bought this PS5 as defect and with the note: sb should be reballed.
It is never the "easy" job when privious repair attempts are involved...

But I learned something new.

linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden

If you wanna try.

You could buy a stencile on Aliexpress and that solder paste to make balls with a hot airgun, to reball the southbridge as well.

Reactions: solitaire4eva

stetofix

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
If you wanna try.

You could buy a stencile on Aliexpress and that solder paste to make balls with a hot airgun, to reball the southbridge as well.

Reballing is not the point.

I got this PS5 obvious with a wrong southbridge due to privious repair attempts.
Thanks to @testerfan, I think I can stop looking for other explanations.

Reactions: linuxares

Johnny_debt

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry. I didn't realize you had a 69gg. I thought those only came on edm-033. Apologies for the confusion. Unfortunately it's probably very hard to source a 69GG. Haven't seen any on ali.

Last edited by Johnny_debt,

stetofix

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Sorry dude. I didn't realize you had a 69gg. I thought those only came on edm-033. Apologies for the confusion. Unfortunately it's probably very hard to source a 69GG. Haven't seen any on ali.

Nothing to be sorry for. :)

In the end I understand the issue of my board and have an idea for a solution.

stetofix

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Does someone have a nor dump from an edm-031 with gg61 southbridge?

Long story short. With a gg61 southbrige, the switched resistor and edited nor dump the PS5 is back to life. :)

The disc drive stayed matched to the PS5 and passes an system update without any errors. (As @Johnny_debt wrote: It underlines that the disc drive keys are not stored on the nor)

After a longer time not using the PS5, I now discovered that the wifi is not displaying a wifi mac and the PS5 will not connect or show any wifi access points. BT works fine.

Gippy242

Trophies
XP
Country
Bahamas, The

Had the same problem was not aware that the two versions where not compatible. Before I replaced the southbridge ic ps5 would give one beep and blue light then shuts off . I replaced 69gg with 61gg after finding a few lines at the Ethernet shorted. Short was gone after replacing Sb ic but console would show no sign off life. Replaced with another sb this time 69gg but off a donor board but still no power on Sb may still be bad don’t no for sure if donor one was working but it had no shortages. But also I would like to know if it’s possible it may have caused a problem with the nor seeing that the versions where different?

stetofix

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Had the same problem was not aware that the two versions where not compatible. Before I replaced the southbridge ic ps5 would give one beep and blue light then shuts off . I replaced 69gg with 61gg after finding a few lines at the Ethernet shorted. Short was gone after replacing Sb ic but console would show no sign off life. Replaced with another sb this time 69gg but off a donor board but still no power on Sb may still be bad don’t no for sure if donor one was working but it had no shortages. But also I would like to know if it’s possible it may have caused a problem with the nor seeing that the versions where different?

If you use a 61gg instead of a 69gg or wise versa the data on the nor must be modded also. I only managed to bring a PS5 with a 61gg instead of a 69gg back to life, with a donor dump from the same model (edm-03x w. 61gg).

Gippy242

Trophies
XP
Country
Bahamas, The

Good day same problem I have but just a quick question doe’s using the wrong version damage the original nor in any way?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    But Nintendo's GBA video format is different, being that it uses a custom ROM and chipset for rendering, for like the Shrek and Shark Tale titles. Been undumpable for years and years.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Meteo uses it's own player.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, those roms are dumped currently, right?
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Although it's kinda pointless to download them anyway since you get the movies in horrible quality
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Xdqwerty, Yep, they are now, but it took a shit ton of RE'ing.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    RE = reverse engineering
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, can you remind me what reverse engineering meant pls?
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Xdqwerty, Reverse engineering, to put it simply, is to understand how the software or hardware was made.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Lol someone tried using my email to log into Nintendo
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, is that through trial and error sometimes?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @K3Nv2, did you enter any sus site?
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    Nah. He "Entered the Dragon" looking for Bruce
    +2
  • Brohann @ Brohann:
    sorry i was away for a while
  • Brohann @ Brohann:
    I know how to use meteo
  • Brohann @ Brohann:
    but its not working
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Last time I logged into it was when ancientboi was being born
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Damn, I tried to get into Kens Nintendo account, but got locked out, oh well.
    +2
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Shame that's where your wife put her new credit card into
    +2
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    Join the club. lol :tpi::evil::D
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Same, I haven't logged into mine in 5-6 years prob, ever since I modded my switch. I get they're stupid email ads every month still tho.
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @K3Nv2, but you are younger than him
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'm his daddy actually
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: I'm his daddy actually