Ps5 power supply output 17v

Yohan_g

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Hello, I bought a ps5 that does not start, no light, no beep. The previous owner says he tried another power supply but with no better result. I checked the output voltage of the power supply, and I have 17v instead of the expected 12v. I tell myself that before continuing my investigations, I have to repair this power supply, but I do not know what could cause this problem... Do you have an idea?

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Exactly. I don't expect them to break like that until at least 4 or 5 years in.

People does break stuffs.

Hello, I bought a ps5 that does not start, no light, no beep. The previous owner says he tried another power supply but with no better result. I checked the output voltage of the power supply, and I have 17v instead of the expected 12v. I tell myself that before continuing my investigations, I have to repair this power supply, but I do not know what could cause this problem... Do you have an idea?
OEM one says 12V.

Last edited by Hayato213,

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
Exactly. I don't expect them to break like that until at least 4 or 5 years in.
Sony did a terrible job when designing the PS5's circuitry this time around. The smallest surge can kill it (assuming you don't use a surge protector, which you should do for all valuable electronics of course), causing shorts that can kill components practically all over the motherboard. I've seen many that short the SSD controller, the APU itself, some that short the wifi IC, some that kill the PSU or the PWM IC, shorted RAM chips, some that kill the BIOS chip, etc etc etc

Some of them are easily fixable, like the BIOS chip which is generic and can be swapped and flashed, and sometimes reballing the APU will fix the short there, but things like the SSD controller are specific and you'll only ever find pulled chips which have terrible/inconsistent quality.

Hopefully the Slim will fix some of these issues, even the stock PS4 didn't have these types of issues at launch.

Reactions: SylverReZ

SylverReZ

Certified GBATemp Boomer
Trophies
Website
m4x1mumrez87.neocities.org
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Sony did a terrible job when designing the PS5's circuitry this time around. The smallest surge can kill it (assuming you don't use a surge protector, which you should do for all valuable electronics of course), causing shorts that can kill components practically all over the motherboard. I've seen many that short the SSD controller, the APU itself, some that short the wifi IC, some that kill the PSU or the PWM IC, shorted RAM chips, some that kill the BIOS chip, etc etc etc

Some of them are easily fixable, like the BIOS chip which is generic and can be swapped and flashed, and sometimes reballing the APU will fix the short there, but things like the SSD controller are specific and you'll only ever find pulled chips which have terrible/inconsistent quality.

Hopefully the Slim will fix some of these issues, even the stock PS4 didn't have these types of issues at launch.
As if their previous generations had plenty of flaws, like with the PS3 with the YLOD (yellow light of death) being caused by the tantalum capacitors or the PS2 with its fragile laser that started to wear out overtime during the lifespan.

Johnny_debt

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just repaired a launch day (close to it) PS5 that had a factory HDMI port with loose pins. There was no damage that I can see, it seems like it came from the factory like this (I've heard of cases like this but never experienced it myself until now) because once I fixed it it booted into the stock setup screen. And yes it is on FW 1.02 and no, I did not update it!

So yes the QC on ps5s are horrible and they could of definitely added more fuses.
Post automatically merged:

I don't know what the issue is but wanted to put this warning out there:

If you don't have any experience working with the power supply, please do not work on it! There are voltages in the power supply that can kill you even when it is not plugged in! You will need to discharge the large capacitors in the PSU before you do any work. There is a reason these power supplies require a ton of prying to open, it is there for protection.

Last edited by Johnny_debt,

TheStonedModder

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

The BIOS chip is so easy to short too

A buddy of mine lives in a place with lots of power outages and it blanked it out 3 times (he was able to have someone else repair it each time)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Me niether, us north Koreans don't care