Homebrew Official Retroarch WiiU (wip.)

ploggy

WAKA! WAKA!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Hi @ploggy!
I'd love to hear your opinion on how plausible do you think this feature would be?
I'm not sure if there are limitations in how the wiimotes are read i Wii U mode.
I would normally say the chances of that happening are slim but looks like @Wiimpathy has already added that same functionality for Wii Retroarch and apparently Wii and WiiU share alot of code when it comes to controls?
https://github.com/libretro/RetroArch/pull/9470
So I would say it very possible but we would need someone to add that in for WiiU Retroarch?

Reactions: jacobsson

jacobsson

Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
I would normally say the chances of that happening are slim but looks like @Wiimpathy has already added that same functionality for Wii Retroarch and apparently Wii and WiiU share alot of code when it comes to controls?
https://github.com/libretro/RetroArch/pull/9470
So I would say it very possible but we would need someone to add that in for WiiU Retroarch?
That is great! I might have some spare time on my hands this week, I'll try to have a look.
Right now I'm trying to set up that docker container you provided (much obliged!), although I'm running into some problems
1692269514261.png

Reactions: Lostbhoy

jacobsson

Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Awesome, and good luck adding the WiiiU Pointer support. If you need anything tested just shout ;)
I found my old instructions and I seem to have linked myself a snes9x core now using these steps (from your docker):
  1. Build a core within a [core name]/libretro/ such as snes9x: make platform="wiiu"
  2. Rename the libretro_snes9x2010_wiiu.a -> libretro_wiiu.a and place it in the root of Retroarch
  3. Linking the libretro_wiiu.a to elf and rpx, from the root: make -f Makefile.wiiu
  4. $Profit: Get a libretro_wiiu.elf or .rpx file (RetroArch/objs/wiiu)

Last edited by jacobsson,
Reactions: ploggy

ploggy

WAKA! WAKA!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I found my old instructions and I seem to have linked myself a snes9x core now using these steps (from your docker):
  1. Build a core within a [core name]/libretro/ such as snes9x: make platform="wiiu"
  2. Rename the libretro_snes9x2010_wiiu.a -> libretro_wiiu.a and place it in the root of Retroarch
  3. Linking the libretro_wiiu.a to elf and rpx, from the root: make -f Makefile.wiiu
  4. $Profit: Get a libretro_wiiu.elf or .rpx file (RetroArch/objs/wiiu)
The rpx/elf gets built in the root of the retroarch folder too ;)

@Jilou https://github.com/libretro/mame2003-plus-libretro/issues/1617#issuecomment-1682136528 :)

Reactions: Jilou and jacobsson

ploggy

WAKA! WAKA!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Thank you very much ! I will wait ^^.
You can add your support to the issue, may help motivate them ;)
Post automatically merged:

Updated the Retroarch Compilation Guide (hopefully for the last time) lol
Added the Toolchain files to the Docker download just incase the Dockerfile install fails, probably should've done this from the beginning. Should work 100% of the time now :)

Never guess what I figured out last night? :)
Turns out since since Wiimpathy added Wii Pointer support to Retroarch Wii and Wii has a new shiny PS1 Core it's been possible to use the Wiimote Pointer to play PS1 Lightgun games!!

I tried a few Gun games, some work well and some not so well.. Point Blank 1/2 + Time Crisis work well with the Wiimote whereas Project: Horned Owl and Crypt Killer have issues where the Wii pointer cant see/use all the screen space for some reason, it maybe calibration issues and could just be a case of going into the games calibration options, didn't try, it was late when I figured this all out :)
Performance plays a part too, the Wii Core is slower than on the WiiU Core so I guess there will be some Gun games that will run bad.

I hope this doesn't change the push to get Wii Pointer support added to WiiU, if anything now we know it works on Wii there should be more want for it to be added to WiiU Retroarch as well!!!!!!!

Last edited by ploggy,

AmandaRose

Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it’s a plan
Trophies
Website
www.rockstarnorth.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
OK so have an interesting problem with the Pcsx_Reamed Core (latest version as mentioned above by @ploggy)and Buster Bros Collection (Pang Collection in Europe and Japan) . Of the 3 games

Buster Bros loads to the stage select map then black screens when you select a stage.

Super Buster Bros loads to the 1 or 2 player screen then selecting either leads to a black screen

Buster Buddies works perfectly

Very strange that the first two games don't work but the third does.

alfonsovin

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
I need a little help with "overlays per core" solution

I've tried a "override core", save a opt file
then in quick menu, while a game is loaded, choose the overlay
save override
save a new config file, with name of the core (the file is saved without extension, I edit in PC to add ".cfg"

I have "default.cfg" with a overlay
I have "core_name.cfg" with other overlay
I have a opt file

However if I choose different game of different core the overlay doesn't change, it shows the last choose

ploggy

WAKA! WAKA!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
OK so have an interesting problem with the Pcsx_Reamed Core (latest version as mentioned above by @ploggy)and Buster Bros Collection (Pang Collection in Europe and Japan) . Of the 3 games

Buster Bros loads to the stage select map then black screens when you select a stage.

Super Buster Bros loads to the 1 or 2 player screen then selecting either leads to a black screen

Buster Buddies works perfectly

Very strange that the first two games don't work but the third does.
Just tested this game, for me all 3 games are working fine :P check you don't have a bad dump?

AmandaRose

Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it’s a plan
Trophies
Website
www.rockstarnorth.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Just tested this game, for me all 3 games are working fine :P check you don't have a bad dump?
Hmm here we go again with my terrible luck lol another dump that works perfectly fine on my PC and android phone yet doesn't on the WiiU :rofl2:

@ploggy so after spending all afternoon trying to get Buster Bros Collection to work. Downloads from numerous sites still with no luck and going through various boxes in my garage to find my own copy of the game and then ripping it with no luck I eventually decided to try using the PSP PS1 bios and all three games now bloody work lol.

Last edited by AmandaRose,
  • Haha
Reactions: ploggy

ploggy

WAKA! WAKA!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Hmm here we go again with my terrible luck lol another dump that works perfectly fine on my PC and android phone yet doesn't on the WiiU :rofl2:

@ploggy so after spending all afternoon trying to get Buster Bros Collection to work. Downloads from numerous sites still with no luck and going through various boxes in my garage to find my own copy of the game and then ripping it with no luck I eventually decided to try using the PSP PS1 bios and all three games now bloody work lol.
That suggests to me the bios files you were using before were wrong/broken in someway?

Reactions: AmandaRose

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    Cholesterol is sorta high, according to my doc
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I've been taking fiber pills, eating more grapes, switched to wheat bread in hopes to lower it
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I like wheat bread, I even like the chunky wheat bread with pieces of whole grain in it.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Been getting this honey wheat bread from aldis pretty decent not very sweet to out do it
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Me making any food at home is an improvement to how I use to be
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I have an bread machine and use it alot, better than breads you buy, but don't last as long, cause no bs preservatives
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I got compliments about my weight loss and thought well guess I can pig out again now I'm the piggy
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    My biggest prob is alcohol, definitely is fattening
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I know when to stop at least honestly don't get those that go and go with food
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Or those that order 2 big macs , large fry, ice cream sundie, then a diet coke
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I might get downing two big macs but nah that's it
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Ok that will be $15.99, cash or charge?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    My go to orders usually a mcdouble and a mcchicken and I'm happy rarely mess with fries
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Pro tip ask for that clowns jizzmac sauce on your mcdouble
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Do they charge extra when you add sauce,etc? I know burger king used to not, but don't know nowadays
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    They may squrit it for free if you ask nice
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Last time I got bk it was 35c per sauce fuck you king of my nutsack
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'll buy a bottle of baby rays BBQ for $2 and add it from home out of spite
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I like baby rays, my favorite is KC masterpiece tho. Figured all you could buy is that there.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    The metro doesn't discriminate good sauce
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Baby Rays isn't that what killed the crocodile hunter?
    If only he had done an endorsement for them....
    Oy mate don't let a bad bbq sauce kill your party! Baby Rays are killing it!! The flavor hits you right in the chest!
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    My phone only has 13% battery so i don't have much time left
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Now 12%
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Now 12%