noONE

~~~~~~~~~~~~
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Hi guys! 

I found out today that my parents & siblings are saving up for an smartphone as my examination present!

My dad told me beforehand so that I'll be able to choose which one i want, the thing is, there's so many phones, and i'm having trouble deciding.

Initially they were going to buy me the iPhone 3G,  but since that a bit too expensive (if i don't add 100$ on my own) I'll have to choose another one. 

The price range is around 600$, i'm willing to add around 100$ to get another one though, if that's alot better.

The ones i'm currently looking at are the "Sony Ericsson XPERIA X1", "LG KM900 Arena" and "HTC Touch HD"
(They're buying it directly with cash payment, no subscription)

The "required" features i'm looking at are:

Quite powerful CPU, prefer to have a quite known model, so that many programs work for it, and maybe able to clock it.

Bluetooth (of course)

Enough RAM (256MB is prefered) and the ROM should be big enough so you can update to a new OS that takes a bit more place if that is released

Upgradeable memory (microSD/miniSD or something like that, i prefer not to use sonys memory sticks)

Wi-Fi

Touch functionality

Java MIDP 2.0

Other than that, I'd prefer to have Windows 6 (or newer) as OS, but i could go with another one if the OS supports extra programs and isn't so locked down.

Multimedia functionalities are quite important too, i'd like to watch DivX movies and the likes, preferably without the need to convert them, and TV-out would be nice.

A camera are on most phones, so that isn't so important, I'd like one above 2MP atleast though.

Thanks in advance my fellow 'tempers!

UltraMagnus

hic sunt dracones
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
t-mobile G1, good stable OS, and lots of apps, most of which are free. Not to mention is has good touch screen with multitouch, and a keyboard. Quite frankly its the best phone in existence.

noONE

~~~~~~~~~~~~
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Thanks, but i think i'm leaning more towards an Windows phone right now, very interested in the XPERIA X1.
I'm going to our local electronics market tomorrow to test some phones out, that'll make it alot easier to decide!

noONE

~~~~~~~~~~~~
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Wow, that's amazing
smile.gif

Though.. it'll have to be available within a month.. and how much would those beasts cost..
ohmy.gif

mcp2

Trophies
XP
Country
I don't own the X1 but I've had experience with it and other HTC phones, trust me the X1 has great video playback, the keyboard is nice and it's slimmer than you think. If you want customs ROMS then XDADevs is the place to go.

noONE

~~~~~~~~~~~~
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
mcp2 said:
I don't own the X1 but I've had experience with it and other HTC phones, trust me the X1 has great video playback, the keyboard is nice and it's slimmer than you think. If you want customs ROMS then XDADevs is the place to go.

Alright, thank you very much
smile.gif

UltraMagnus said:
QUOTE(noONE @ May 25 2009, 10:28 PM) Thanks, but i think i'm leaning more towards an Windows phone right now

have fun with your phone crashing 10 times a day, I had to put up with a WM smartphone until I got my G1, worst, experience, ever.
May i ask you which phone you had?
tongue.gif
(and which version of WM?)

Also, I briefly had an old Qtek (HTC) smartphone, which had WM5 and that didnt't really crash, except for once or so, when the RAM totally ran out, and that one only had 64MB RAM. 

mcp2

Trophies
XP
Country
My windows phone never crashed either, I had a HTC TyTN II, only thing I can think that might crash it are those bloated network ROMs that come shipped with the phone.

UltraMagnus

hic sunt dracones
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
noONE said:
mcp2 said:

Alright, thank you very much
smile.gif

UltraMagnus said:
QUOTE(noONE @ May 25 2009, 10:28 PM) Thanks, but i think i'm leaning more towards an Windows phone right now

have fun with your phone crashing 10 times a day, I had to put up with a WM smartphone until I got my G1, worst, experience, ever.
May i ask you which phone you had?
tongue.gif
(and which version of WM?)

Also, I briefly had an old Qtek (HTC) smartphone, which had WM5 and that didnt't really crash, except for once or so, when the RAM totally ran out, and that one only had 64MB RAM. 

it wasn't really a phone, it was a PDA, Dell axim X51v that runs WM5

david432111

Trophies
XP
Country
Nokia 5800, it has everything you listed except for the 256mb ram but it still runs symbian s60 5th edition admirably. I have currently have one and I really like it
biggrin.gif
It's about 500 dollars(3845 swedish krones) directly from nokia sweden. I'd recommend that you read this review, as many of the other reviews are quite biased. Alternatively the lg arena has a really nice 3d interface.

noONE

~~~~~~~~~~~~
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Alright folks, thanks for all the help!
I got the Xperia X1 today!
smile.gif

(it was 1000 Swedish kronor off this week, so they went for it)
It cost 4990 Kronor and so far (i've played around with it for an hour or so) i'm pleased with it, there's so much stuff to tinker with and right now i'm trying to get Active Sync to work, as it doesn't want to connect the phone...

mcp2

Trophies
XP
Country
Don't bother with active sync you can just drop .cab files into your memory card and istall them from there.

If you do want to get actice sync working use the latest version. Also what OS are you using?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AngryCinnabon @ AngryCinnabon: anything that offers trump an opportunity to become an actual dictator is bad in my book, i...