Emulation Snes9x unacceptable input latency

RetrogamingAddict

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I got myself a wii some days ago, today i got to mess with it. Hearing all the praise and glorification of how good the Wii can play retro games, i was so excited, especially since i have it on a crt tv and knowing i would play a 240p authentic experience.

Unfortunately my excitement didn't last long, the input lag was very bad, i don't know why people don't talk about this.. all my settings were correct, 480i in the wii settings, ntsc roms, 480i in snes9x, removed all filters, disabled frame skipping, set it to 240p, disabled audio... Coming from a real snes, playing super mario world back and forth... I wasn't really satisfied with the results. I did my research, inatalled older versions of the eum, snes9x rx, also tx, and all performed similarly.

I wasted my time, lots of anticipation built of false claims and ended up with huge disappointment.

• Haha
Reactions: ChibiMofo

JeffRuLz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've also noticed input delay with homebrew SNES emulators while genesis and NES feel fine. Even on devices other than the Wii.
I'd recommend looking into VC injects for SNES.

Exidous

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There are no fewer than five different versions of snes9x on Wii. You mentioned rx and tx.

Have you tried any of the retroarch implementations? I use RA-HEXAECO Next.

frozencat

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
I got myself a wii some days ago, today i got to mess with it. Hearing all the praise and glorification of how good the Wii can play retro games, i was so excited, especially since i have it on a crt tv and knowing i would play a 240p authentic experience.

Unfortunately my excitement didn't last long, the input lag was very bad, i don't know why people don't talk about this.. all my settings were correct, 480i in the wii settings, ntsc roms, 480i in snes9x, removed all filters, disabled frame skipping, set it to 240p, disabled audio... Coming from a real snes, playing super mario world back and forth... I wasn't really satisfied with the results. I did my research, inatalled older versions of the eum, snes9x rx, also tx, and all performed similarly.

I wasted my time, lots of anticipation built of false claims and ended up with huge disappointment.
try a gamecube controller maybe

ber71

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Latency is a known problem in GX, while RX is supposed to have better performance and lower response times, at expense of a lower compatibility. While not zero yet, RX should improve that latency.

RetrogamingAddict

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
In your opinion guys who had been through a similar experience. What's the lowest input latency snes emulator for the wii?
Post automatically merged:

There are no fewer than five different versions of snes9x on Wii. You mentioned rx and tx.

Have you tried any of the retroarch implementations? I use RA-HEXAECO Next.
Last time i checked, standalone emulation is supposedly better than retroarch. 🤔 So i haven't used that

I've also noticed input delay with homebrew SNES emulators while genesis and NES feel fine. Even on devices other than the Wii.
I'd recommend looking into VC injects for SNES.
Don't they suffer from darkened graphics? I also read not all games support 240p

Ouaz

Trophies
XP
Country
France
In your opinion guys who had been through a similar experience. What's the lowest input latency snes emulator for the wii?

Latency on Snes 9x RX seems fine to me.
I play with a Classic Controller (1st version), and controls are way more responsive than with GX (unbearable input lag with this one).

GX was fine back in the days, but I can't remember which release introduced the input lag (around 4.3.5 maybe).

Last edited by Ouaz,
Reactions: RetrogamingAddict

Exidous

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Last time i checked, standalone emulation is supposedly better than retroarch. 🤔 So i haven't used that
In the abstract? Sure. But Wii development shouldn't be expected to follow a general rule like that. Most of these emulators are built on the same tool set, and often ported by single individuals, of varying skill.

I'd expect it's way closer to a crapshoot than the general rule you propose.

I use Next because I had a very bad experience with one of the standalones you tried (unrelated issue) and wanted to get away from the bare? libogc emulators because I suspected a low-level bug.

RA-HEXAECO (in general) was tuned by one of the more attentive scene members to be an optimized out of the box set of emulators. Admittedly, not a high bar since main branch Retroarch has consistently abused and neglected Wii like a red headed stepchild. It's also possibly about to be eclipsed (maybe try this one, I haven't yet: https://gbatemp.net/threads/unoffic...troarch-wii-v1-7-9-and-other-versions.648742/)

In my testing, Next has the best performance, including among what it sounds like you tested. I can't speak to 240/CRT though.

darkworldq8

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Kuwait
I have tried SNES9X GX a few days ago right after installing it on my newer Wii, and I did not notice any lags. I was using an original Wii Remote with an original Classic Controller. I have tried Super Mario World and Super Castlevania 4 for around 10 minutes or so.

I was very close to the console and used a Silicon Power 128GB micro SD card.

I did use SNES 9X around 10 years ago on my older Wii and played it for a longer while. I did not notice any lag and I don't remember which emulator version it was.

JuanMena

90's Kid, Old Skull Gamer & Artist
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico

It might be your Snes9X version. I've experienced this before.

I solved the issues by deleting Snes9X GX from "apps" folder, redownloaded Snes9X GX and tried again.

If that doesn't work, use an old version, maybe 2020's.

If that still doesn't work, try changing your device, if you're using SD, try another one or USB and vice versa.

RetrogamingAddict

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I have tried SNES9X GX a few days ago right after installing it on my newer Wii, and I did not notice any lags. I was using an original Wii Remote with an original Classic Controller. I have tried Super Mario World and Super Castlevania 4 for around 10 minutes or so.

I was very close to the console and used a Silicon Power 128GB micro SD card.

I did use SNES 9X around 10 years ago on my older Wii and played it for a longer while. I did not notice any lag and I don't remember which emulator version it was.
No offense, 100% you are not aware of it.

It might be your Snes9X version. I've experienced this before.

I solved the issues by deleting Snes9X GX from "apps" folder, redownloaded Snes9X GX and tried again.

If that doesn't work, use an old version, maybe 2020's.

If that still doesn't work, try changing your device, if you're using SD, try another one or USB and vice versa.
Using GameCube controller helps to a certain degree.

Exidous

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was playing Donkey Kong Country yesterday, and man do I suck at Mine Cart Carnage now.

Not the emulator's fault, I'm just old. Maybe I can blame the knockoff Gamecube controller, a little.

Reactions: RetrogamingAddict

TheBeverage

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The lag in SNES9x GX (and all variations) on the Wii is a real bummer. I think it's a combination of using a relatively low-powered device for SNES emulation and wireless controllers. You can fix the latter, but not the former. I've moved my SNES needs to an SNES Classic for this reason, Canoe is a very low latency and the community has patches for nearly every game. That said, knowing you mentioned a CRT, I don't think there's much help there. If you're dead set on a CRT setup, real hardware is probably your best bet.

RetrogamingAddict

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
The lag in SNES9x GX (and all variations) on the Wii is a real bummer. I think it's a combination of using a relatively low-powered device for SNES emulation and wireless controllers. You can fix the latter, but not the former. I've moved my SNES needs to an SNES Classic for this reason, Canoe is a very low latency and the community has patches for nearly every game. That said, knowing you mentioned a CRT, I don't think there's much help there. If you're dead set on a CRT setup, real hardware is probably your best bet.
I do have the snes mini, but man the crt feel is irreplaceable... Otherwise it's perfect for anyone who wouldn't be bothered playing on a modern tv/monitor.
My other alternative is using a pc and a pc crt monitor, i could play games at 240p 120hz. Comparable to a bvm. Black frame insertion is a must, but has a shortcoming of darkening the display. Until i get my hands on a signal convertor to hook up my PC to a crt tv.

I was playing Donkey Kong Country yesterday, and man do I suck at Mine Cart Carnage now.

Not the emulator's fault, I'm just old. Maybe I can blame the knockoff Gamecube controller, a little.
That's one of the most annoying levels 🤣 can't blame you, young or old has nothing to do with it. I play better at my age(30's) than my teens or 20's. The obly thing missing is the stamina for long play sessions, i get bored easily and rarely last more than an hour or two. Unless my mind feels at ease, that's when i can focus on the game without feeling distracted.

darkworldq8

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Kuwait
No offense, 100% you are not aware of it.

No offense taken. Technically, everything has input latency, even when playing on the original hardware using the original cartridge and controller. Of course, playing on the original hardware has less noticeable latency (probably unnoticeable) and less issues than emulation in almost all cases. I probably haven't noticed it since I am not used to playing on the original SNES.

I don't want to use some consoles since I do notice that games are less accurate when emulating them, especially when I emulate a game that I am used on the original hardware such as the PS2, DS, 3DS, GC, or Wii. I haven't touched my SNES for more than 10 years and don't plan on playing on it. I have trouble emulating any action, platformers, or fighting games when I own the original hardware, especially fighting games. I remember not liking Dolphin because it does stutter for a few frames every hour or so.

It might be a good idea to try the PC version of SNES9x with a wired controller and SNES9x GX on Wii. This will probably give you insight whether your issue is with emulator on Wii, or whether you can't handle emulating systems that you are used to playing on original hardware. Of course, you can totally just play on the original system and ignore emulating SNES all together.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    The snack that smiles back, Ballsack!
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    How are you doing today K3Nv2?
    You did? By whom?
    Ohh, Don't tell me lEOTck did it to you? :O:sad:
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    nah we all know luke is who leo's smashing
    +1
    Oh :shit:! And I didn't get to 📽️ it! :angry::sad::cry: :hateit:
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    GUYS I JUST FOUND OUT THAT ULTERIOR MOTIVES WAS FOUND YESTERDAY, AND IT WAS FROM P O R N 💀😭
    +1
    😱 .............................. :evil::tpi::evil:
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Good afternoon
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BakerMan, what's ulterior motives?
  • zeith_7 @ zeith_7:
    it was a lostwave song
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @zeith_7, 1) what's lostwave? 2) give context
  • zeith_7 @ zeith_7:
    lostwaves are like songs that became lost
  • zeith_7 @ zeith_7:
    they are partially or never found
  • zeith_7 @ zeith_7:
    ulterior motives is one of the internets lostwaves
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Ok read the Wikipedia article
  • zeith_7 @ zeith_7:
    and basically people were trying to find it for a while after a post with the lost songs only snippet
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @zeith_7, and an obscure norp film had the song
  • zeith_7 @ zeith_7:
    correct
  • zeith_7 @ zeith_7:
    the orginal snippet was from a pirated verison of the film basically
  • zeith_7 @ zeith_7:
    or so i think
  • zeith_7 @ zeith_7:
    i never expected it to get discovered this year/month
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Lol this neighbor "I'm always hearing him shit" I'm sorry would you like my shits to be more settle
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    never bring a knife to a gunfight, but bringing a gun to a knife fight is suggested
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: never bring a knife to a gunfight, but bringing a gun to a knife fight is suggested