So my Switch Lite has a modchip now....

Waifu4Life

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
EDIT: Please stop sending me private messages to get into contact with the person who modded my Switch. That individual has stopped replying to me, so I can only conclude that the person is no longer doing this.

So my Switch Lite has a modchip now (thank you to the person who sold me the chip and did the mod). I don't really plan on buying a huge ass-MicroSD and play ROMs since I own all of my games, it's more to backup my save data and use some quality of life homebrews. That being said, would the simple fact that I have a modchip in my system put me at risk of getting my system banned? I don't really care about online gaming, but I do want to update my games and buy some Smash and MK8 DLC.

Cheers

Last edited by Waifu4Life,

binkinator

Garfield’s Fitness Coach
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So my Switch Lite has a modchip now (thank you to the person who sold me the chip and did the mod). I don't really plan on buying a huge ass-MicroSD and play ROMs since I own all of my games, it's more to backup my save data and use some quality of life homebrews. That being said, would the simple fact that I have a modchip in my system put me at risk of getting my system banned? I don't really care about online gaming, but I do want to update my games and buy some Smash and MK8 DLC.

Cheers

As long as you don’t go online with a dirty Emunand and don’t install dirty things on your Sysnand then you‘re good to go. A modchip by itself is not detectable by Ninty. It’s your actions after the modchip glitches the boot process that matter. Enjoy your chipped Switch!

edit: IMO this is risky behavior, but some folks run CFW and occasional homebrew on their Sysnand. I guess the thought process there is if you’re not cheating or stealing Ninty will leave you alone? I personally wouldn’t do it but to each his/her own.

edit2: hit up the dedicated Switch Banning Hub.

Reactions: impeeza

Waifu4Life

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
As long as you don’t go online with a dirty Emunand and don’t install dirty things on your Sysnand then you‘re good to go. A modchip by itself is not detectable by Ninty. It’s your actions after the modchip glitches the boot process that matter. Enjoy your chipped Switch!

edit: IMO this is risky behavior, but some folks run CFW and occasional homebrew on their Sysnand. I guess the thought process there is if you’re not cheating or stealing Ninty will leave you alone? I personally wouldn’t do it but to each his/her own.

edit2: hit up the dedicated Switch Banning Hub.

Thanks, I'll take a look at that post,=.

Reactions: binkinator

Waifu4Life

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Well, looks like I have another problem, it seems that some app or config in my Switch is preventing me from connecting to Nintendo's server's in the first place. I can connect to my FTP just fine I was able to update an app called Goldleaf, so the networking is fine. An app called 90DNS says that everything Nintendo related is blocked. I can't find how to unblock this and my modder went to sleep already 😿

Waifu4Life

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Probably host file in /atmosphere/hosts/[something].txt
I had 3 files in there:

default.txt
emummc.txt
sysmmc.txt

default.txt has:
# Nintendo telemetry servers
127.0.0.1 receive-%.dg.srv.nintendo.net receive-%.er.srv.nintendo.net

Both emummc.txt and sysmmc.txt have:
# 90DNS
127.0.0.1 *nintendo.com
127.0.0.1 *nintendo.net
127.0.0.1 *nintendo.jp
127.0.0.1 *nintendo.co.jp
127.0.0.1 *nintendo.co.uk
127.0.0.1 *nintendo-europe.com
127.0.0.1 *nintendowifi.net
127.0.0.1 *nintendo.es
127.0.0.1 *nintendo.co.kr
127.0.0.1 *nintendo.tw
127.0.0.1 *nintendo.com.hk
127.0.0.1 *nintendo.com.au
127.0.0.1 *nintendo.co.nz
127.0.0.1 *nintendo.at
127.0.0.1 *nintendo.be
127.0.0.1 *nintendods.cz
127.0.0.1 *nintendo.dk
127.0.0.1 *nintendo.de
127.0.0.1 *nintendo.fi
127.0.0.1 *nintendo.fr
127.0.0.1 *nintendo.gr
127.0.0.1 *nintendo.hu
127.0.0.1 *nintendo.it
127.0.0.1 *nintendo.nl
127.0.0.1 *nintendo.no
127.0.0.1 *nintendo.pt
127.0.0.1 *nintendo.ru
127.0.0.1 *nintendo.co.za
127.0.0.1 *nintendo.se
127.0.0.1 *nintendo.ch
127.0.0.1 *nintendoswitch.com
127.0.0.1 *nintendoswitch.com.cn
127.0.0.1 *nintendoswitch.cn
95.216.149.205 *conntest.nintendowifi.net
95.216.149.205 *ctest.cdn.nintendo.net
I deleted all 3 files, but default.txt came back. Also, still doesn't work.
2022031922200600-1AB131B6E6571375B79964211BB3F5AE.jpg

Takokeshi

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
They might have added 90dns addresses to your connection configs, unless you created those later. Otherwise they might be blanking prodinfo via exosphere. Check for an exosphere.ini at the root of the SD card, and check your serial number in settings isn't all 0's.

Waifu4Life

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
They might have added 90dns addresses to your connection configs, unless you created those later. Otherwise they might be blanking prodinfo via exosphere. Check for an exosphere.ini at the root of the SD card, and check your serial number in settings isn't all 0's.
Doesn't look like it (unless I'm just not seeing it):

# Key: debugmode, default: 1.
# Desc: Controls whether kernel is debug mode.
# Disabling this may break Atmosphere's debugger in a future release.

# Key: debugmode_user, default: 0.
# Desc: Controls whether userland is debug mode.

# Key: disable_user_exception_handlers, default: 0.
# Desc: Controls whether user exception handlers are executed on error.
# NOTE: This will cause atmosphere to not fail gracefully.
# Support may not be provided to users tho disable these.
# If you do not know what you are doing, leave them on.

# Key: enable_user_pmu_access, default: 0.
# Desc: Controls whether userland has access to the PMU registers.
# NOTE: It is unknown what effects this has on official code.

# Key: blank_prodinfo_sysmmc, default: 0.
# Desc: Controls whether PRODINFO should be blanked in sysmmc.
# This will cause the system to see dummied out keys and
# serial number information.
# NOTE: This is not known to be safe, as data may be
# cached elsewhere in the system. Usage is not encouraged.

# Key: blank_prodinfo_emummc, default: 0.
# Desc: Controls whether PRODINFO should be blanked in emummc.
# NOTE: This is not known to be safe, as data may be
# cached elsewhere in the system. Usage is not encouraged.

# Key: allow_writing_to_cal_sysmmc, default: 0.
# Desc: Controls whether PRODINFO can be written by homebrew in sysmmc.
# NOTE: Usage of this setting is strongly discouraged without
# a safe backup elsewhere. Turning this on will also cause Atmosphere
# to ensure a safe backup of calibration data is stored in unused
# mmc space, encrypted to prevent detection. This backup can be used
# to prevent unrecoverable edits in emergencies.

# #### CONFIG DE BASE ######
# [exosphere]
# debugmode=1
# debugmode_user=0
# disable_user_exception_handlers=0
# enable_user_pmu_access=0
# blank_prodinfo_sysmmc=0
# blank_prodinfo_emummc=0
# allow_writing_to_cal_sysmmc=0
# ##################################
# CONFIGURATION INCOGNITO EMUNAND & SYSNAND
# METTRE LA VALEUR SUR 1
[exosphere]
blank_prodinfo_emummc=1
blank_prodinfo_sysmmc=1

Takokeshi

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
The servers will reject most connections if the console-unique certificates in prodinfo are missing/invalid. I don't know how the 90dns checker works to tell you whether incognito would interfere with it, but it's not a surprise you can't connect if prodinfo blanking is active.

Waifu4Life

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
The servers will reject most connections if the console-unique certificates in prodinfo are missing/invalid. I don't know how the 90dns checker works to tell you whether incognito would interfere with it, but it's not a surprise you can't connect if prodinfo blanking is active.
I see. Well I guess the final question remains, will my Switch go "Boom!" if I put those settings to "0"?

EDIT: OK, took a risk, it's working now, thank you 😸

binkinator

Garfield’s Fitness Coach
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I see. Well I guess the final question remains, will my Switch go "Boom!" if I put those settings to "0"?

EDIT: OK, took a risk, it's working now, thank you 😸

You want this protection for your dirty emunand.
You will want the txt files for emunand too.
This will effectively self ban your switch from even speaking to Ninty while riding dirty. Self banning while dirty helps reduce the likelihood that Ninty will have enough info to ban you. Down side of removing this protections on dirty emunand will be a ban.

You do not want Prodinfo blanking (set it to 0) for Sysnand, nor do you want poisoned DNS, BUT you’re in luck because they won’t turn on for Sysnand since you won’t need to run CFW…just boot straight into Sysnand for online use.

edit: here is what you need

• Create the file exosphere.ini in the root of your SD card and paste this inside (this step is needed in order to blank your prodinfo so that you can avoid getting your switch banned):
[exosphere]
debugmode=1
debugmode_user=0
disable_user_exception_handlers=0
enable_user_pmu_access=0
blank_prodinfo_sysmmc=0
blank_prodinfo_emummc=1
allow_writing_to_cal_sysmmc=0
log_port=0
log_baud_rate=115200
log_inverted=0
  • Afterwards create a file named default.txt in /atmosphere/hosts/ (the hosts folder won't exist, so make sure to create it)
    and paste this in your default.txt file (this step is prevents you from connecting to Nintendo's servers):
# Block Nintendo Servers
127.0.0.1 *nintendo.*
127.0.0.1 *nintendoswitch.*

Last edited by binkinator,

Waifu4Life

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
You want this protection for your dirty emunand.
You will want the txt files for emunand too.
This will effectively self ban your switch from even speaking to Ninty while riding dirty. Self banning while dirty helps reduce the likelihood that Ninty will have enough info to ban you. Down side of removing this protections on dirty emunand will be a ban.

You do not want Prodinfo blanking (set it to 0) for Sysnand, nor do yiu want poisoned DNS, BUT you’re in luck because they won’t turn on for Sysnand since you won’t need to run CFW…just boot straight into Sysnand for online use.

edit: here is what you need

• Create the file exosphere.ini in the root of your SD card and paste this inside (this step is needed in order to blank your prodinfo so that you can avoid getting your switch banned):
[exosphere]
debugmode=1
debugmode_user=0
disable_user_exception_handlers=0
enable_user_pmu_access=0
blank_prodinfo_sysmmc=0
blank_prodinfo_emummc=1
allow_writing_to_cal_sysmmc=0
log_port=0
log_baud_rate=115200
log_inverted=0
  • Afterwards create a file named default.txt in /atmosphere/hosts/ (the hosts folder won't exist, so make sure to create it)
    and paste this in your default.txt file (this step is prevents you from connecting to Nintendo's servers):
# Block Nintendo Servers
127.0.0.1 *nintendo.*
127.0.0.1 *nintendoswitch.*
Will doing this prevent me from updating my games and buying DLC from the echop?

binkinator

Garfield’s Fitness Coach
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Will doing this prevent me from updating my games and buying DLC from the echop?

on emunand? Yes, but you will use other dirty methods to get updates for your dirty emunand.

on Sysnand? No, as you will be able to connect because you won’t be running CFW (the bit that starts exosphere and dns:mitm)

if you are riding dirty on you Sysnand or unblock your dirty emunand you will be able to purchase and update using the eshop for only a little while…until Ninty bans your unique Prodinfo.

Reactions: Takokeshi

Waifu4Life

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
on emunand? Yes, but you will use other dirty methods to get updates for your dirty emunand.

on Sysnand? No, as you will be able to connect because you won’t be running CFW (the bit that starts exosphere and dns:mitm)

if you are riding dirty on you Sysnand or unblock yiur dirty emunand you will be able to purchase and update using the eshop for only a little while…until Ninty bans your unique Prodinfo.
I don't understand, what's the difference between getting banned by Nintendo and side loading updates once it happens
Vs
Blocking Nintendo and sideloading everything

binkinator

Garfield’s Fitness Coach
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't understand, what's the difference between getting banned by Nintendo and side loading update once it happens
Vs
Blocking Nintendo and sideloading everything

Typically you would want to have a copy of your Sysnand, called an Emunand, running your CFW works. This allows you to run homebrew and “backups” of any software in the world (literally thousands if you include emulators and such). If something bricks your Emunand it’s fine. Simply make another copy of your clean Sysnand and start again. Downside is no Online with any of this.

While doing all that in Emunand you keep your Sysnand pristine. Here you can connect to Ninty, make purchases, play online multiplayer, the works. You can occasional boot up CFW (no online) on Sysnand and do things like swap save files, dump your own legit downloads and xfer them to your Emunand or simply make another copy of your Emunand to do the xfer.

Getting banned by Nintendo is permanent. Self banning is only temporary. It gives you options and it’s worth more if/when you sell your switch if it’s not banned.

Reactions: felix.200

Waifu4Life

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
tyoically you would want to have a copy of your Sysnand, called an Emunand, running your CFW works. This allows you to run homebrew and “backups” of any software in the world (literally thousands if you include emulators and such). If something bricks your Emunand it’s fine. Simply make another copy of your clean Sysnand and start again. Downside is no Online with any of this.

While doing all that in Emunand you keep your Sysnand pristine. Here you can connect to Ninty, make purchases, play online multiplayer, the works. You can occasional boot up CFW (no online) on Sysnand and do things like swap save files, dump your own legit downloads and xfer the, to your emunand or simply make another copy of your Emunand to do the xfer.

Getting banned by Nintendo is permanent. Self banning is only temporary. It gives you options and it’s worth more if/when you sell your switch if it’s not banned.
Well as long as there's a way to update and go to the eschop, I'll take a look at same Emunand videos like this one I guess:

binkinator

Garfield’s Fitness Coach
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well as long as there's a way to update and go to the eschop, I'll take a look at same Emunand videos like this one I guess:

I’m wary of YT vids but haven’t watched this one so I can’t say good or bad. I’m most familiar with this written guide https://rentry.org/SwitchHackingIsEasy

I highly recommend reading through it just to understand all the options. Most the things have a readme on GitHub or even a release thread here on gbatemp. Google and self educate! You’ll be glad you did when something goes wrong in the future.

Waifu4Life

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I’m wary of YT vids but haven’t watched this one so I can’t say good or bad. I’m most familiar with this written guide https://rentry.org/SwitchHackingIsEasy

I highly recommend reading through it just to understand all the options. Most the things have a readme on GitHub or even a release thread here on gbatemp. Google and self educate! You’ll be glad you did when something goes wrong in the future.

I'll take a look at that link, thanks. Mind you, even if this Switch gets banned and I want to sell it in the distant future, I doubt I'll have too much problem selling a modded system, specially because how quickly Nintendo drops their online support for their discontinued systems.

Reactions: binkinator

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Interesting. The macphone +2