Star Wars: Battlefront II will be free next week on the Epic Games Store

sw.png

Epic Games isn't stopping their trend of giving games away anytime soon, going by what they have on offer for next week. Star Wars: Battlefront II's Celebration Edition is set to be the latest giveaway game on Epic's launcher, starting later this month. EA and DICE's 2017 shooter has been under much controversy and criticism since even before launch, due to the game's lootbox mechanics, which were removed and later refined to not impact gameplay. You can grab the game when it becomes available for free on January 14th.

Currently, Crying Suns is the free game on tap from Epic--a tactical roguelite game that considers itself as "FTL meets Dune". It's normally priced at $24.99, and can be gotten for free until January 14th.

:arrow: Source

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
This is actually a good game, the lootbox and pay to win aspects were removed ages ago.

Just claim the free game and stop whining for once GBAtemp you baby.
Hard disagree. It's the worst of the three most recently-released Star Wars games, even without the MTX. Now if EA had just combined Battlefront 2 and Squadrons into a single game, then they would've had a real hit on their hands for sure.

p1ngpong

Gamer Professional Deluxe
Supervisor
Trophies
Website
imgur.com
XP
Country
Croatia
Hard disagree. It's the worst of the three most recently-released Star Wars games, even without the MTX. Now if EA had just combined Battlefront 2 and Squadrons into a single game, then they would've had a real hit on their hands for sure.
Its free now so with that in mind

I beg you don't cry

Reactions: slaphappygamer

codezer0

Gaming keeps me sane
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So basically, EA can't get anyone to buy their ATM software locally, and thus have to resort to giving it away to get people into it.

Yeah, even if I had an EGS account, I wouldn't touch this turd. That it requires $2100 in lootboxes minimum, just to unlock all the characters, and the pay2win mechanics is inexcusable, and unforgivable. Nevermind the famously buggy campaign even if you don't touch any of the multiplayer. Fuck that noise.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I beg you don't cry
No. EA does not deserve forgiveness, nor does it deserve sympathy or mercy. The moment you ease up with them, is the moment they do something terrible. EA has a history of this. Their present CEO has a hate-boner for singleplayer and anything that doesn't involve surprise mechanics and recurrent user spending. DO NOT let that asshole have even a minute's rest.

Reactions: Seliph

D34DL1N3R

Nephilim
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So basically, EA can't get anyone to buy their ATM software locally, and thus have to resort to giving it away to get people into it.

Yeah, even if I had an EGS account, I wouldn't touch this turd. That it requires $2100 in lootboxes minimum, just to unlock all the characters, and the pay2win mechanics is inexcusable, and unforgivable. Nevermind the famously buggy campaign even if you don't touch any of the multiplayer. Fuck that noise.

You've either never played the game or only played it when it was first released, because you most obviously have zero idea what you're talking about.

leon315

POWERLIFTER
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I'll gladly spend Epic's money. The more they have to spend on free games, the less exclusives they can pay off.
how about those $ony' "exclusives" then? Should us feel same hatred toward $ony cauz they refused to release GOW and Demon's soul on PC?

DJPlace

going hire Ronald McDonald To Gun Down Nintendo.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
bought this game for 8 dollars on PSN played online once. deleted it. it can rot in my PSN downloads for all the fucks i don't give a fuck about.

banjo2

gamer
Trophies
Website
youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
*January 21st. :)
That's referring to the game that's currently free
OP said:
Currently, Crying Suns is the free game on tap from Epic--a tactical roguelite game that considers itself as "FTL meets Dune". It's normally priced at $24.99, and can be gotten for free until January 14th.
Screenshot_20210108-100104.png

Reactions: Chary and Jiehfeng

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Wow, awesome! Crying sun is free now? Sweet! :D :hrth:

*sort of bought a humble choice for this*

I'm not sure why the next week's freebee is announced here now. Isn't that a week early? :unsure:

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States

I beg you don't cry
Right, and I'm saying it's not even worth the time investment to download the game, let alone create a new Epic account and download their sad excuse for a client as I would have to do. Besides, nothing on EGS is free, only free*.

9NmaRr.gif

Reactions: ZeroFX

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
If only it were the good Battlefront II. :(

Tbh anyone who says this should actually try playing both within the span of a day.

It's 100% nostalgia. The old Battlefront 2 has aged extremely poorly and fucking sucks. New Battlefront II is incredibly fun although a bit limited in some aspects. It still holds up 10x better and feels great to play.

Reactions: Ericzander

Ericzander

GBAtemp's residential attorney
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Somalia
Tbh anyone who says this should actually try playing both within the span of a day.

It's 100% nostalgia. The old Battlefront 2 has aged extremely poorly and fucking sucks. New Battlefront II is incredibly fun although a bit limited in some aspects. It still holds up 10x better and feels great to play.
:bow::bow::bow:

Very good point. A game from 2017 does indeed hold up better than a game from 2004.

I was wrong and it was cringy as hell for me to compare this to the original Battlefront II even though they have absolutely nothing in common except they're both shooters. My comment was due to a lack of effort as well as a lack of videogame knowledge to maybe draw a better comparison.

The only 5.5/10 here was my comment...and that's fairly generous.

I'm by no means saying that Battlefront II is a masterpiece, but my 'comment' was grossly exaggerated and misguided in a lot of ways.

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
:bow::bow::bow:

Very good point. A game from 2017 does indeed hold up better than a game from 2004.

I was wrong and it was cringy as hell for me to compare this to the original Battlefront II even though they have absolutely nothing in common except they're both shooters. My comment was due to a lack of effort as well as a lack of videogame knowledge to maybe draw a better comparison.

The only 5.5/10 here was my comment...and that's fairly generous.

I'm by no means saying that Battlefront II is a masterpiece, but my 'comment' was grossly exaggerated and misguided in a lot of ways.

Mate you're the one who drew a direct comparison by saying the "good" Battlefront II

Your inability to use the English language properly to express whatever point you intended isn't really my fault (:

Reactions: Ericzander

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: I played the intro to far cry 5, that is like some crazy Jim Jones cult shit. Still its petty...