Review SuperCard (SD): "How To" Guides and FAQs

biglou75

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I recently purchased a Supercard SD for my GBA SP. I'm using a Coby 1 gB high speed SD card. The links for the operations, software, and quick start features for the GBA Supercard SD website are all broken! I've pretty much figured out from the manual how to download the games onto the card with their software, and have updated the firmware.

The problem I am having is saving the games. From what I've read, it's not a matter of simply saving the game in game, but also a combination of L+R+A+SELECT. But when I do that, I get a blank screen for a second, and it doesn't seem to work. Also, when I do "try" to save it, I get another new option on the screen with the name of the game and then "(on card)". What does this mean? From what I've read here, can it be because I have several games on the card (I had 3 at one point, but only tried to save in one game)?

Can someone please help me and maybe walk me through the ops of this card and saving games?

Kalisiin

Trophies
Website
www.kalisiin.com
XP
Country
United States
biglou75 said:
I recently purchased a Supercard SD for my GBA SP. I'm using a Coby 1 gB high speed SD card. The links for the operations, software, and quick start features for the GBA Supercard SD website are all broken! I've pretty much figured out from the manual how to download the games onto the card with their software, and have updated the firmware.

The problem I am having is saving the games. From what I've read, it's not a matter of simply saving the game in game, but also a combination of L+R+A+SELECT. But when I do that, I get a blank screen for a second, and it doesn't seem to work. Also, when I do "try" to save it, I get another new option on the screen with the name of the game and then "(on card)". What does this mean? From what I've read here, can it be because I have several games on the card (I had 3 at one point, but only tried to save in one game)?

Can someone please help me and maybe walk me through the ops of this card and saving games?

As a Supercard SD user myself, who has experienced many of the same things you are experiencing, I will try to help you.

For some reason, not all games save properly...or even at all. Many games will play properly, but not save properly, nor start from a save point. I honestly do not know why this is so, but it is.

It will save "on card" only whatever you last played before power-off. Some games will start from that, and others won't...you just have to experiment and see which games will reliably start from that point, and which ones won't.

Generally, if you press L + R + A + Select...you should get a black screen and a question to Save or Load...you can pick one, and then it will ask Yes or No.
I have found that to be fairly an unreliable way to save and load. Often, it does not work.

Now, another method I discovered, quite by accident, (this works on NES Metroid, anyway) is to hit R + SELECT, and it will save. To then continue from that point, later...start the game up as normal, and select start (don't enter in a password) and then, after the game is started, press R + START...and it will jump back to the point at which you did the R + SELECT before...effectively giving you a save point.

It does not always seem to work right...and once you have established a particular save point, it seems reluctant to set a different one...it will look like it did...and it will even work from that point if you don't power-off....but when you power off, often, it will go back to the original point you had previously established.

It's really weird...I wish I could describe this a bit better....

OK...imagine this...

You are at a place and you save at point A, with the R + SELECT. Later, with power still on, you can R + SELECT and save at point B.
As long as you remain with power on...the next time you R + START...it will take you back to your Point B save. BUT, if you power off...and then try it later...the R + Start seems to take you back to the Point A save.

I'm not quite sure why this is.

It works with at least every NES game I have tried it with...and it seems to work the same way, too...but it wuill do only one save per file...meaning if you have multiple game ROMS made into one ROM, which you can do with PocketNES...it will only work for the one game you did it on first, in my case, Metroid...but it will always work on any game as an in-game saver, that will allow you to then backtrack to that save point...but it will lose it once you power-off.

If you compile each ROM seperately, instead of as a list menu, it may be that you can do that, then for every single individual NES game, I have not tried that.

I really do hope this is of some help to you. I know it is confusing, but I've tried to be as clear as I can explaining it...please PM me if you have any additional questions about how that worked for me, and if I can, I'll answer them for you.

Kalisiin

Trophies
Website
www.kalisiin.com
XP
Country
United States
Wage said:
Excellent guide. Helped me a lot some time ago, just never got to replying.
No problem. glad I was able to help...and that my description of what was happening was clear enough to actually follow.

It's actually been a long time since I even TOUCHED my GBA...I've been totally blown away, and addicted, now, to my Dingoo!!!

nosesquid

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As a Supercard user back in the day (as in, back when they had a functioning website) I'd like to offer my own explanation of the l+r+select+a save method. Hopefully someone out there can still use this information. For the record, I never had any problem with using them, but then, I've never even heard of the r+select method.
L+R+select+a should take you to a screen saying "SC Normal save". The Normal save doesn't replace ordinary save points in any way. Instead, it transfers the SRAM save data the game has saved onto the supercard(using a save point) into a file on your SD card (with the same path and filename, with .sav appended - you can copy these straight into visualboy, which is pretty cool). I think there was an option in the game patcher to make multiple save files, but it wasn't stable. So to save your game after poweroff, you have to use a save point AND THEN use the key combination.
Choosing "load" on the "SC Normal save" menu is completely pointless. It copies the save data from the file into RAM, but the card does this automatically when you load a rom. The only thing it can do is make you lose data. I guess you could revert to an older save without resetting..?
L+R+select+B offers you a "SC RealTime Save". This is exactly the same as a savestate in an emulator (only glitchier). "Save" and "Load" both do what you'd expect. there are usually some graphical and music glitches after loading that can be cleared up by going to the pause menu.

I'm not sure why you would use multi-game emulator files. I don't know of any fix for the one-savegame thing, but supercards had built-in emulators - you could put a .nes or .gb file on your card, and it would take care of the rest, at least to the best of its abilities.

bjb_phoenix10

Trophies
XP
Country
nosesquid said:
As a Supercard user back in the day (as in, back when they had a functioning website) I'd like to offer my own explanation of the l+r+select+a save method. Hopefully someone out there can still use this information. For the record, I never had any problem with using them, but then, I've never even heard of the r+select method.
L+R+select+a should take you to a screen saying "SC Normal save". The Normal save doesn't replace ordinary save points in any way. Instead, it transfers the SRAM save data the game has saved onto the supercard(using a save point) into a file on your SD card (with the same path and filename, with .sav appended - you can copy these straight into visualboy, which is pretty cool). I think there was an option in the game patcher to make multiple save files, but it wasn't stable. So to save your game after poweroff, you have to use a save point AND THEN use the key combination.
Choosing "load" on the "SC Normal save" menu is completely pointless. It copies the save data from the file into RAM, but the card does this automatically when you load a rom. The only thing it can do is make you lose data. I guess you could revert to an older save without resetting..?
L+R+select+B offers you a "SC RealTime Save". This is exactly the same as a savestate in an emulator (only glitchier). "Save" and "Load" both do what you'd expect. there are usually some graphical and music glitches after loading that can be cleared up by going to the pause menu.

I'm not sure why you would use multi-game emulator files. I don't know of any fix for the one-savegame thing, but supercards had built-in emulators - you could put a .nes or .gb file on your card, and it would take care of the rest, at least to the best of its abilities.

Free iphone 4g giveaway- which game will sell more? Hey guys I'm having a free iphone 4g giveaway, just answer which game do you think will sell more, pokemon black or pokemon white? Here is the link: http://pokemonblackandwhitepoll.blogspot.com/
unsure.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nintendo president Tatsumi Kimishima took the stage at the outset to reveal that Switch will launch globally on March 3, 2017 for $299.99—earlier than some had expected at the price many suspected. https://time.com/4632820/nintendo-switch-nx/
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    The NES launched at like 250 and the rob and light gun kit was like 350 or something
    I was near the test market for the NES and man did it make my 2600 look like ass lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    There has to be some mutual agreement with them all anything over $600 is just pc territory
  • realtimesave @ realtimesave:
    next system rumored to launch at $400
    but I don't really believe any rumors yet
    need to have official info from N
    The 3DO and Neo Geo where like 700 bucks hmm the PS3 was stupid expensive at launch lol
    But at least the PS3 was only 500 for the cheapest one at launch
    My opinion is that 199.99 is the sweet spot but that spot is long gone lol
    Just played some Micheal Jackson Moonwalker.... Those poor parents trying desperately to protect their children
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    400 is a decent sweet spot if we get enough out of it
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It's not like how it was when we were locked down to a few options and that's it
    For me just buying a Pi and some accessories fills that not a PC void new consoles have just put them close to PC prices and all the patching and updates makes me feel like I might as well just get a PC
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Were talking new Gen consoles at launch here
    Yeah they just are glorified mid range PCs these days
    The age of home consoles has passed, they got assimilated
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    They still serve a purpose for people that don't want to dive deep into it and just buy something that works
    I think the PS3 was the last console that was custom and felt at least slightly home console to me, although the constant updates pissed me off to no end.... "I got a day off from work let's play some games..." Well maybe after the hour long firmware update.... Shit the game needs an hour long update too??
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Microsofts giving us options the other two should've followed with tbh not everyone is going to give a damn about 4k 120fps
    Yeah I think they should have focused on 1440P and let the TVs handle upscale duty
    My 4K TV admittedly is a higher end one turns 1080P into 4K nicely
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Og switch should've released with 1440p and then release with a cheaper 720p panel at the end
    Switch Ghetto Edition lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Screw a lite they missed an opportunity to sell the screen
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Screw a lite they missed an opportunity to sell the screen