Hacking SuperDump

Madridi

Card Collector
Trophies
XP
Country
Qatar
Just to clarify, this app makes other DVD dumpers (especially wiidump 1.5.1) obselete right..?
also, as people said, does it rip GC discs as well?

Thanks dude
smile.gif

ILLPLEASA

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just started using it to test dump De Blob to a 8gb USB Flashdrive (Transcend). My flashdrive must be one of the picky types because I had to insert it after SuperDump was loaded in order to recognize USB2...

Also when I was playing around with the settings, I noticed there is an option to dump Gamecube games as well. So that's great! ;-)

Just one question though, whats the point of benchmarking the SD card (and also benchmarking the DVD Drive)? Should I keep the benchmark.bin file on the FlashDrive? Thanks in advance.

Now to test the speed of this thing! Will post back with results..

EDIT:

About 6 minutes into the dumping, its still showing 2 hours and 23 minutes... Is that normal? Also the DVD Benchmark finished in 10 minutes (not sure how that is relevant but thought I should put it out there).

My Wii is 3.2 Wii updated with 4.0 Waninkoko Firmware flashed with cIOS38 Rev13b (for reference). Is USB 2.0 support built in to this cios or do I have to install a seperate module? Perhaps cIOS USB2 by Kwiirk?

tueidj

I R Expert
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
ILLPLEASA said:
Just one question though, whats the point of benchmarking the SD card (and also benchmarking the DVD Drive)? Should I keep the benchmark.bin file on the FlashDrive? Thanks in advance.

Now to test the speed of this thing! Will post back with results..

EDIT:

About 6 minutes into the dumping, its still showing 2 hours and 23 minutes... Is that normal? Also the DVD Benchmark finished in 10 minutes (not sure how that is relevant but thought I should put it out there).

My Wii is 3.2 Wii updated with 4.0 Waninkoko Firmware flashed with cIOS38 Rev13b (for reference). Is USB 2.0 support built in to this cios or do I have to install a seperate module? Perhaps cIOS USB2 by Kwiirk?
Benchmarking USB or SD gives you a rough idea of how fast your devices are. For me they both take around 12 seconds. The disc benchmark shows how fast your wii can read the disc, it is the theoretical maximum dumping speed.
It should be going a lot quicker than the numbers you posted... Are you sure it never said it was using USB1?

tueidj

I R Expert
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
fogbank said:
WB3000 said:
I'm running v1.1 right now, I'll have to try v1.2. I wish that part sizes could be extended to the full SL disc, as using an 8GB card and having to concatenate the parts seems unnecessary.

Obviously the file size limitation of FAT32 requires splitting the .ISO. Since this type of disc dumper is using raw sector reads it is not file-system aware, so it cannot tell an update partition from a data partition or garbage data. Therefore "scrubbing" is not possible (afaik).
Yep, since it only writes to FAT/FAT32 it has to use chunks less than 4GB. It will automatically continue dumping the next chunk if there is space available on the destination drive.
It is possible to do deeper analysis while dumping (to determine where the partitions start and end etc.), I might make a "size optimized" mode that scrubs the unneeded crap and compresses as it's writing, so a full disc image would end up in a file smaller than 4GB that could be extracted to a full size scrubbed ISO on the PC.
I prefer having a complete raw dump from an app like this anyway.
Agreed.

ILLPLEASA

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Here is an update:

Since I have cIOS Rev13b, I forgot that only one of the USB slots are 2.0 and is used for the storage while the other slot is used for peripherials. When I first started the program I had it on the wrong slot and got the switching to USB 1.0 message.

When I switched to the other USB slot, I didn't get that message so I'm guessing the USB 2.0 was recognized...

Either way I uninstalled the cios and tried reinstalling it again (just for kicks).. The. I did the benchmarks again and here were the results:

The USB Flashcard (which is a USB 2.0 device) benchmark was completed at 33 seconds.
The DVD Drive benchmark clocked in at 10 minutes and 30 seconds.

These are vey similar results to the last two benchmarks... You said these numbers are too long? Should I try another cios rev?

tueidj

I R Expert
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Hm there's a slight bug - once you've seen the "Using USB1" message, you're stuck in USB1 mode until you restart the program, even if it doesn't say so. If you toggle the SDUSB setting it will attempt to use USB2 again.

Your USB benchmark isn't great, it will probably take around 3 hours to dump a single layer disc at that speed.
The speed of the DVD benchmark depends on the part size and chunk setting used. For part size=3072 and chunk=0, around 10 minutes is normal. It really doesn't do anything besides make sure your wii's drive is working properly.

ILLPLEASA

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
tueidj said:
Hm there's a slight bug - once you've seen the "Using USB1" message, you're stuck in USB1 mode until you restart the program, even if it doesn't say so. If you toggle the SDUSB setting it will attempt to use USB2 again.

Just to clarify, I was not swapping USB ports while still in the program. After I saw the USB1 message (since I had my flashdrive plugged into the wrong port) I turned off the Wii system completely, and then swapped to the proper USB port after which I turned on the Wii again. It's estimating around 2 hours 15 minutes to finish a complete dump.

By the way, I did not get the USB1 message when I restarted my Wii with the flashdrive plugged into the proper USB slot. However isn't the 2-3 hour timeframe the usual speed for USB 1.0? Meaning do you think my USB2.0 is working correctly? What do you think the problem could be?

Also, just for the record, a 2gb SD card I have for all my Wiiware/Virtual Console games completed the benchmark at 13 Seconds, so I know its not an SD problem...

emupaul

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
using rev13b port 2 with older western digital usb hard-drive model 1200b015, and its hella fast, 15 minutes for a single layer disc.
the other port was usb 1.0 mode and it look like it would have took a little under 2.5 hours.

ILLPLEASA

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
USB 1.0 Slot Benchmark = 57 Seconds
USB 2.0 Slot Benchmark = 33 Seconds

This atleast shows me some type of boost in speed from USB 1.0 => USB 2.0

However, it still not nearly as fast as it should be. Could this be because its an 8gb USB FlashDrive and not a USB HardDrive like you tested with? Or could it be that the speed of the FlashDrive just sucks (even though it is said to be USB 2.0)?

emupaul

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
if i was to guess it may be the flash drive... on an normal pc usb 2.0 flashdrives are very fast (at least that's what i think) I will have to test a flash drive later and see.

jinqui242

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Works great, I dumped my Wii Sports disc to two parts on my USB HDD in about a half hour. Anyone know the command to combine the bin files in Terminal on OS X? Is it similar to the Linux way?

edit: nevermind, I got it:

cat 0.bin 1.bin 2.bin > wii.iso

ILLPLEASA

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Friend tried his 8gb USB 2.0 Flashdrive and got abuot 22 seconds on the benchmark. Not as fast as it should be but better than my Flashdrive. Could it be that this version of SuperDump isn' t really optimized for USB Flashdrives but was better optimized for USB HDD's? Either way program is still great and I appreciate all the hard work that was put it in order for it to work! Thanks OP!

zapfbandit

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey why not generate a "*.bat" file (like wiidump does ;-) If you want to get the game name you can use something like this...

CODEÂÂÂÂchar dvd_id[5];
ÂÂÂÂchar dvd_name[128];
ÂÂÂÂunsigned char* buffer;
ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ
ÂÂÂÂ//Read the first 128 bytes worth to be able to work out the DVD ID and name
ÂÂÂÂWDVD_LowUnencryptedRead(&buffer, 128, 0);
ÂÂÂÂ
ÂÂÂÂ//Save the DVD id and name globally for later use
ÂÂÂÂsprintf(dvd_id, "%s", buffer);
ÂÂÂÂdvd_id[4] = 0;
ÂÂÂÂsprintf(dvd_name, "%s", (buffer + 32));
ÂÂÂÂ
ÂÂÂÂfor (int i=0; dvd_name; ++i)
ÂÂÂÂ{
ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂbool valid =ÂÂÂÂ((dvd_name>='a') && (dvd_name='A') && (dvd_name='0') && (dvd_name

WB3000

Trophies
Website
wb3000.co.nr
XP
Country
United States
Again, this is great work, but all of the previous dumpers have been open source. It's up to you do decide how to manage that. No licenses are being violated, however I think it would be of great benefit to everyone if you bundled up the source + binary in future releases.
wink.gif

tueidj

I R Expert
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
It's not magical. Here's what I've changed so far:
- Specify 256 sectors per cache page when calling fatMount
- Modified libfat to use MEM2 memory only
- Read/write only 32 sectors at a time for USB2 to avoid crashing (undocumented bug)
- Read from DVD in 32768 byte chunks

LightyKD

Future CEO of OUYA Inc.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
tueidj said:
Recently while working on RawkSD we've had to dump a few discs (RB1/GH3/GH:A/GH:WT/GH:M/GH:SH) and I thought I could make a much faster dumper than the available ones. So using the source code for CaitSith2's dumper (based on nitrotux's work) I went ahead and did it. The results are pretty impressive: around half an hour to dump a single layer disc and an hour to dump SSBB.

Link to SuperDump v1.2: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=7VN7URD8

Features:
- Dumps to SD, USB2 or USB1 (fallback if USB2 is not detected)
- SDHC support under any IOS (although it tries to use IOS249 if available)
- Ability to choose chunk sizes (mainly to suit 1GB, 2GB and 4GB SD cards) and which chunk to start dumping from
- Checks for available free space before starting dump
- Detection of FAT partitions other than partition 0
- Shows time remaining (for current chunk only)
- Unlike the USBLoader, produces 1:1 disc images and works with FAT partitions

If you have a picky USB2 device (like kingston datatraveler DT100 keys), try starting superdump with no USB devices connected and only plug it in after the text appears. For me this avoids the "USB2 device not found, using USB1 instead..." message and I get full speed writing. Also the "Checking free space..." step can sometimes take a long time to complete for large FAT32 drives.

...Think you could make a version that could dump over network? That would be GREATLY appreciated!

lajd

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
can anyone kindly mirror the file? the megaupload link has reached the dl limit.

edit: mediafire, if possible

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @BakerMan @I-need-help-with-wup-wiiu...