GBAtemp RPG Maniac
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Hey guys.. I've decided to come back after seeing Neogeo on the DS. (WTF seriously..) Seeing as I grew up playing those in the arcades.. Yeah lol.
rolleyes.gif

I hear the R4 team died, R4s will brick my DS, wtf. Is there anything wrong with the compatibility now? I tried Etrian Odyssey 2 and it wont work. Maybe the newest version will work, but I saw some post saying R4 team released a Firmware that bricks DSes.

I really dont want to shell out money and go to the post office to pick up that shit, etc.. I just would like to know the current Homebrew and Game compatibility with R4..

Nero

GBAtemp RPG Maniac
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
coolbho3000 said:
The bricking announcement was rumor

Just upgrade to latest R4DS firmware

Hmm.. I see. Do you know about the current Homebrew compatibility? Also.. If R4 doesn't play Neogeo I'm gonna shoot myself XD
hate2.gif

Nero

GBAtemp RPG Maniac
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
MasterPenguin said:
The R4 still has great compatibility, but the price is the issue, for what it has to offer. [And the fact there are clones..Fakes..]

http://wiki.scorpei.com/index.php/R4_compatibility_list

As far as I've heard, the R4 does allow the Neogeo emu, for it has DLDI. Upgrading to the latest R4 software will fix A LOT of issues.

I see.. Thanks. Price isn't an issue. I bought it a year ago.. When it was $30.

EDIT: rofl I just noticed I messed the title up.. That's what happens when you multitask.

Another World

Emulate the Planet!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
Zerrix said:
coolbho3000 said:
The bricking announcement was rumor

Says who?
source plz.

the same is said about proving its real. one random forum post by someone NOT related to the r4 dev team gets copied here and all of a sudden the r4 will brick your ds on sept 15th. no firmware will be released on the 15th, the whole thing is fake. accept it and move on.

the r4 has recently been shipped legit but as a clone: http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=99503

as for homebrew, i've found only ds puzzle maniac won't run on my r4. but then again it won't run on my slot2 m3 lite either. everything else i've toyed with (and i do alot of homebrew) runs fine and auto dldi patches.

for homebrew, development, the older class of nds games (basically 2000 roms) all work very well. its a great kit and i'm glad i own one.

-another world

Narin

The Cheat Master, kupo!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
cheats.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Narin said:
I suggest not getting the R4 and if you already have one, you really should think about getting a new flashcard, there are plenty of flashcards out there that are far cheaper and have better support, compatibility and features. The R4 has stopped being manufactured which means that it has reached the end of its life. You can expect only minor updates if any at all from the R4 team though right now, it doesn't look promising.

Several games, even some that came out over a year ago don't work on the R4. Also many newer games coming out have problems on the R4 either not running the game at all or the game is extremely buggy and freeze often. Also games with the new save type are not supported on the R4 so any games coming out with the new save type will not save. Also there are a few homebrew apps that have trouble on the R4 as well.

The R4 overall, is extremely limited and buggy. The cheat system has many flaws and can cause games to freeze or simply nt work when using cheats on some games. Also a few cheat types are not supported leaving you with a good many cheats not working on the R4. Also the R4 limits the number of cheats and games that gets displayed on the cheats page.

So basically, the R4 is on life support and has been for quite a long time now. Many newer flashcards have surpassed the R4 in many ways, including compatibility. The R4 is showing its age, thanks to hardware limitations (The R4 Firmware not being flashable), features like SDHC support and many others can never be added. The R4 was a fine cart when it first came out, but now its just an old, over prices flashcard.

The R4 has many clones as well, some supporting SDHC cards, these are not enhanced R4s nor improved, they simply had the hardware added to support SDHC cards while the loader/firmware they use is the exact same as the real R4DS byte to byte. This means that the clones have the same problems of the real R4DS and if the R4DS stops getting updated, so will the clones. So the R4 Upgrade V2, N5, R4DS III and so on are just all cheat knockoffs and should be avoided at all costs as the R4 Team is planning one last update that will brick the clones and possibly the DS that they are on.

Also I would like to point out, that I own an R4 myself and got it when it was one of the best flashcards on the market. Sadly thats not true anymore.

roguetrip

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Compatibility is great, there has been a few roms that have to have the arm7 patch since the firmware hasn't been updated but still work, the lastest ones was the incredible hulk, and I think carnival games?!

NeoGeo DS works on my R4, but i'm sure its the same on other carts where gameplay is normal then slows down and picks up again while playing the MS series, and a few others. This would be great if it used the expansion pack ram in my EZ3in1.

I'm moving onto a EDGE card but love my R4, i'm gonna miss it, Its a spring loaded one that has been great for me!

PyroJames

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Yes, Neo Geo DS does indeed work on R4. I've loaded my R4 with tons of Neo Geo goodness like the Metal Slug series, Wind Jammers, King of Fighters and some Samurai Shodown games. Ahhhhh, the memories...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: I may try the new ram site, and download more RAM to my Switch. Not sure if ddr3 is the right...