They don't make just games (Sony)

Panzer Tacticer

veteran human
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I was tempted to chime in on a different thread, but, I really don't want to get involved in a discussion too games specific.

The point is, when some of us see the name Sony, some of us don't leap to the mindset 'game maker'.

Sony is to me, a Television maker that branched out into games.
And I think the name Walkman before Playstation half the time too.

Ya their recent troubles (PSN) likely could have far reaching ripples. But, they don't just make consoles and console games guys.

I don't know where their biggest money maker is (and I am not inclined to hunt for that data right now), but I would be surprised to hear it was games.

No really, I think they likely sell a lot more TVs than PS3s eh. 800 bucks is 'ordinary' when paying for a new TV. We adults don't even think twice about it being too 'expensive'. And we don't eagerly await anything being made to make it useful to us (games). You plug it in an use it.

Now Nintendo, I am unsure how far beyond games they actually reach these days.
And of course the X-Box 360 is own by Microcrud.

They might see the PSN take a massive hit in reply to all this, but, then again, maybe it will just force them to kill it and go over entirely to Steam.

jan777

motion control..? srsly? so 2008. 3DS is teh bombz
Trophies
XP
Country
In the other thread, I think they were referring to the "game division" of Sony that going down the crapper.

Sumea

Disco Ninja Frog
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
Rydian said:
I'm willing to bet you buy a new Sony TV much less often than you buy a new game, though.

A new game does not go to sony though. Maybe small part, and that is small slice I am betting.

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
8ido180000035ms8.jpg

The Playstation division alone won't take Sony down. They'll just quit for this generation and possibly the next.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
sony's reputation has been going downhill for years. rootkits on music cds, exploding laptop batteries, and of course bad psn security. those r three different divisions right there. their entire operation is a joke to many. and, this latest screw-up isn't making it any better.

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
I somehow doubt the short bout of stupidity they had with DRM enforcement on CD's and problematic batteries qualify in the scheme of things. Most people have all but written off both those events as history.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
not really. if u look at sony's history, it shows that they want total control of everything hence the rootkits and removal of other os. and, they have a complete disregard for their consumers. the apparently cut corners at every chance, hence the exploding batteries and lack of psn security. statistics have proven many times that consumers primary concern when purchasing something is not its price but how well the company takes care of their customers. if u show urself to be anti-consumer corporation, expect ur profit and stocks to drop a lot. plus, it's always nice that sony will do something stupid again to refresh consumers' memories. I wonder what idiotic thing they'll do next year...

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
If you went out onto a street and took a straw poll of what people thought about Sony, i'd be willing to bet they'd think that they said that Sony produced quality hardware (MP3 Players, Headphones, Laptops, TV's etc...) and were a big music label.

You're going to need to readjust your tinfoil hat....

GameWinner

Take your heart
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
xist said:
If you went out onto a street and took a straw poll of what people thought about Sony, i'd be willing to bet they'd think that they said that Sony produced quality hardware (MP3 Players, Headphones, Laptops, TV's etc...) and were a big music label.

You're going to need to readjust your tinfoil hat....
What I hear all the time, like last week I ween into Walmart to buy me some new headphones for my iPod. I get
the ones I had last time "JVC" headphones which were $13.00. I go up to the counter and get ready to pay for them
and the man there told me I was paying to much and that I should get Sony's ($9.99) which are better built and safer. So yeah, most people
don't care about their mishaps, they care about their quality and prices.

_Chaz_

GBAtemp's Official Mook™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sure, they don't just make games, but it's still a large part of their profits.

Sure, you don't just have a cell phone, but it's still a large part of your communication.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
quality??? have u seen the reports of faulty sony optical drives and computers? sony is a complete joke. greed and incompetence is the death knell of any company--and that is exactly what sony has become. I rarely see anyone buy sony products unless it's some idiot buying junk from walmart.

besides, when there's a high probability of a criminal investigation into the going-ons of sony, u have a serious problem. if u look at their stock prices, they've been declining quickly since the beginning of the psn problem. sony is a lot like walmart in which there r many, and I mean many, people who refuse to buy their products for personal reasons. this is just another to add to an already long list.

I really don't understand y anyone still defends sony. they cared so much about u that they didn't even protect u. sure, u could cancel credit cards, but what about ur name and address. u'd be surprised how little information is needed to open accounts in ur name.

GameWinner

Take your heart
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
godreborn said:
quality??? have u seen the reports of faulty sony optical drives and computers? sony is a complete joke. greed and incompetence is the death knell of any company--and that is exactly what sony has become. I rarely see anyone buy sony products unless it's some idiot buying junk from walmart.

besides, when there's a high probability of a criminal investigation into the going-ons of sony, u have a serious problem. if u look at their stock prices, they've been declining quickly since the beginning of the psn problem. sony is a lot like walmart in which there r many, and I mean many, people who refuse to buy their products for personal reasons. this is just another to add to an already long list.

I really don't understand y anyone still defends sony. they cared so much about u that they didn't even protect u. sure, u could cancel credit cards, but what about ur name and address. u'd be surprised how little information is needed to open accounts in ur name.
Like I said, people will buy their stuff regardless of what you say, it's your word against millions of others willing to pay.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
look at how low sony's year-to-year profit has become. 300 million in profit a year is not very much considering how well-known the company is. hell...samsung makes about 20 times that in profit a year. sony is not the giant it was about twenty...even ten...years ago.

Panzer Tacticer

veteran human
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Rydian said:
I'm willing to bet you buy a new Sony TV much less often than you buy a new game, though.

Well the TV is good for 5-10 years and cost me 800 bucks. A game might be good for a year, and sure didn't cost me 800 bucks
smile.gif

damedus

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I prefer Philips to sony products, they sound better and have better colors. Sony is a company that has branched out to most of the entertainment departments and its whats making them fail in my eyes. They dont have the quality they used to and they even adding firmware updates to tv's to fix bugs that shoudnt be there in the first place, I just miss the times when consoles and TV's came already with their uses and features. I dislike this firmware crap where companies go lazy mode and not the quality checking Id expect. all this just to have the products faster on the streets.

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
godreborn said:

I hold Sony products in very high regard when it comes to quality. I (and almost very member of my family) have had a Sony Erricsson phone (my brother has had two) and every single one has lasted a long time (I believe at the moment my two brothers are still using SE phones they have had for about 3-4 years, with no issues as of yet), being replaced only because there are better phones out there to upgrade to, not because they broke. I have also had a PSP for about 3 years now, and no issues there either. (I have heard reports of UMD drives braking, but that has only happened to one person I know and I know plenty of people with PSPs). I have a Sony Walkman MP3 player that my brother used before me, it has been going for at least 5 years now and still going strong.

I don't know anyone who has anything strongly against Sony, and personally am very happy with everything of theirs I own. My only complaint is some of their products are too expensive.

chris888222

GBAtemp's Flygon Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
SifJar said:
godreborn said:

I hold Sony products in very high regard when it comes to quality. I (and almost very member of my family) have had a Sony Erricsson phone (my brother has had two) and every single one has lasted a long time (I believe at the moment my two brothers are still using SE phones they have had for about 3-4 years, with no issues as of yet), being replaced only because there are better phones out there to upgrade to, not because they broke. I have also had a PSP for about 3 years now, and no issues there either. (I have heard reports of UMD drives braking, but that has only happened to one person I know and I know plenty of people with PSPs). I have a Sony Walkman MP3 player that my brother used before me, it has been going for at least 5 years now and still going strong.

I don't know anyone who has anything strongly against Sony, and personally am very happy with everything of theirs I own. My only complaint is some of their products are too expensive.

Well, to me, the quality of some of their products have decreased a lot in quality compared to the past. I used to find SE phones very user-friendly and giving me no problems. However ever since I owned the C902 and Xperia X10, I find the phones to constantly give me quite a lot of problems such as irresponsive touch screen, camera problems... their stuff like what you said is also more expensive. A Xperia Arc here is more expensive than an iPhone 4...

I don't hate sony or what, but seriously their standard has dropped.

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Well to be fair, I haven't got a "new" Sony product in a while now. The most recent Sony product in my family was a phone two years ago (still working fine). I haven't tried any of their touch screen products, and I have always sort of had the impression their Android devices are generally to be avoided (poor custom UI leads to the OS becoming quite laggy, very expensive etc.) - not that I'd be getting an Android phone anyway. But I digress. What I meant to say was, I suppose their quality could have dropped somewhat from what I have experienced of their products.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Glad I bought a card reader type c and usb A makes life easy
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Yawn
  • RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars:
    i download movies on my PC that is connected to my living room tv.
    Monitors are too small for my bad eyesight so I use my main tv and wirelss keyboard and wireless trackball mouse.
    I tried wireless transfer on phone before and yes, it's garbage. lol. So sloooooooooowwwwww.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    New south park was not really that funny.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, i heard modern south park is too serious
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Did it hurt your feelings?
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Some are still funny, but they always try to use a subject matter related to something going on today.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    All you need is one dose of Lizzo to make yourself feel better
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Who tf is lizzo
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    They always make valid points on that show and it goes over people's heads over sensitivity reasons
    +1
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @BigOnYa i mean south park did that way back in the day too
    +2
    remember the Michael Jackson episodes?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Or blaming the only jew in the show on 9/11 or having the police shoot the only black kid during a school shooting or saying Kanye a gay fish list goes on
    +2
    the gay fish thing was funny as fuck
    +1
    and i don't even follow or care about kanhye
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Everytime i hear that real song, i think of that episode, "I'm a Gay fish yal."
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    So was the way they showed how messed up the American health system was to get anything done
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    i dont watch south park that much
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Old people driving was a funny one, like cars up on 2nd/3rd floors in houses. Had to shut down old country buffet to stop them.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gBpKupfQEKE