Trip to Japan need some advice

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As i recall, the Japanese can be hostile toward foreigners sometimes. When they're not taking pictures with you. You're German though, not American. You'll probably be fine.

I really didn't have that problem even when I lived in rural areas (such as Marugame or Maizuru, both cities with

Midna

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
The gum is because some people apparently get headaches or earaches on planes going up or coming back down because of the pressure differential and gum ( the act of chewing actually ) prevents the pressure build up.
I had that problem when I was young. It's brutal if it does happen to you. That one you'll just have to base off your previous experience with flights.

Youkai

Demon
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Yeah i already thaught of what to take with my in my hand luggage

think i will go with some gums and gummy bears for food, some Comics my phone for some music and some underwear for the case my trunk won't arrive with me as happened before twice already -.-

Today i ordered a adatpor so that i can charge my handy when i am in Japan ^^
and ordered some more textbooks to learn japanese :)

Ordered a Camera as well to make some pictures as you suggested and i found out what the place i live at is well know for XD
really emberrasing, i live here my whole life and no clue that my city is well known for its Mustard ... now i will get some "stone jars" filled with mustard which was sold like this already at ~1880 think as japanese like Wasabi they might like that as well :)

Densetsu

Pubic Ninja
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Attention that japan don't have a lot of cash distributor working with a credit card.

Someone can confirm?
Japan has always been a cash society for the most part, and it's not uncommon for people to carry around 200,000 yen or more in their pocket. When I lived there, not every store would take credit card, especially if you're a foreigner. But if Youkai is going to be in Tokyo, then he shouldn't have any problems with his credit card.

@[member='Youkai']: Just call your credit card company before you go to Japan and tell them where you're going to be so they don't get suspicious when they see charges on your card originating in Japan. They might freeze your card in an attempt to protect it.

If you're going to use the trains go with someone that can show you how to properly or do your research ahead of time. I've heard it can be confusing for somebody using it the first time. Not sure how much truth there is to that statement or not though.
They can be quite confusing at first, especially if you're in a hurry and about the miss the train. In big cities, missing isn't a big deal as they usually come every five to ten minutes. If you live in a small town, like Maizuru or Gobo, you'll end up waiting around an hour or so.
I just remembered Hyperdia. Use it to check train schedules, it's great for people who can't read Japanese.

Don't forget to visit the black market there at least once. jk
Funny that you should mention that, I remember seeing some off brand DVD player that was region free for 1500 yen. On the same street I also saw a bunch of DVDs that were clearly Disney classics (Bambi, Snow White, etc) that had a non-Disney label on the cover. They were being sold for roughly 500 yen apiece. And this was in Maizuru, which isn't very big.
@[member='Youkai']: If you see any store with the character "本" written in huge neon lights, I suggest you check it out :creep:

really emberrasing, i live here my whole life and no clue that my city is well known for its Mustard ... now i will get some "stone jars" filled with mustard which was sold like this already at ~1880 think as japanese like Wasabi they might like that as well :)
They like to put karashi on tonkatsu over there, so if they ask you what it's for, just say "karashi."

Reactions: 1 person

Youkai

Demon
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
hmm might be a good idea about telling them, i wouldn't want the card to be frozen when i am in japan ^^V

About that Hyperia thing, might be interesting but i really hope i am able to read enough at the time i am there, and it looks like i can do it at least if there are the hiragana characters at the kanji like in some tv shows where they just write both ^^

and umm isn't that the Kanji for Sun ? what would be so interesting about a shop with such a sign ?

hmm ok karashi ... think i will have forgotten this already again at the time but i try to remember :P

P.S. can you write Japanese ? even with my textbook i still have problems understanding why some things are written as they are.
example ???????? ????????
why is there this extra "u" ? and in my textbook i have some stuff written in hiragana like "oden --> ???" and other stuff in Katakana like "karéraisu --> ??????"
same problem like with doitashimashite in the katakana for kareraisu there is that ? which would normaly not belong there why are there these extras ? and whats ? ? or is it simly a - ?

Densetsu

Pubic Ninja
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
About that Hyperia thing, might be interesting but i really hope i am able to read enough at the time i am there, and it looks like i can do it at least if there are the hiragana characters at the kanji like in some tv shows where they just write both ^^
Almost all of the train station names will show the hiragana pronunciations at each train stop, so you should have no difficulty if you can already read kana. But Hyperdia is really useful for planning your trips and finding out how much it costs and how long it takes to get somewhere. Try it out, it's awesome.

and umm isn't that the Kanji for Sun ? what would be so interesting about a shop with such a sign ?
本 is the kanji for "book." Stores with a giant "本" on them are usually pr0n shops :creep:

why is there this extra "u" ? and in my textbook i have some stuff written in hiragana like "oden --> おでん" and other stuff in Katakana like "karéraisu --> カレーライス"
same problem like with doitashimashite in the katakana for kareraisu there is that ー which would normaly not belong there why are there these extras ? and whats ー ? or is it simly a - ?
どいたしまして is not the correct way to write it, or pronounce it. The extra う is there to elongate the お syllable before it. In Romaji, the "correct" way to write it is either douitashimashite or dōitashimashite.

The same thing goes for カレーライス. The ー is not just a dash. It's there to elongate the vowel that comes before it because that's the correct pronunciation. Writing it as カレライス is incorrect.

Reactions: 1 person

Youkai

Demon
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
hmm very interesting ...

thaught that 本 was the second kanji in Nippon/Nihon which is Rising Sun or something like that ...
but yeah very good tip i think this will be easy to remember :P

Awesome so you really can write in Japanese, so whenever i would write something with that ^ obove them like the ô i need to elongate it good to know.
Still so much to learn -.- well i am only learning since one week and i think i am doing ok ... still about 5 month left XD

another thing,
i do understand that foreign words are written in Katakana but in my textbook even Râmen is written in Katakana instead of Hiragana ... how come ? stupid book or do i miss something here ? thaught Ramen was a Japanese word.

Densetsu

Pubic Ninja
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
thaught that 本 was the second kanji in Nippon/Nihon which is Rising Sun or something like that ...
In the word 日本 (Nihon), means "sun" and means "origin." So when you put them together it's taken to mean "the origin of the sun" or "where the sun rises." That's how it gets its name "Land of the Rising Sun." But most kanji have 2-3 meanings, so 本 also means "book."

another thing,
i do understand that foreign words are written in Katakana but in my textbook even Râmen is written in Katakana instead of Hiragana ... how come ? stupid book or do i miss something here ? thaught Ramen was a Japanese word.
It's because rāmen is actually derived from Chinese, so it is a foreign word. It comes from the Chinese word 拉麺 (lā miàn).

You can always ask for Japanese help in The Nihongo FAQ.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It also adds confusion to some when words that are borrowed from foreign languagaes are spelled hiragana and not katakana, sometimes the opposite is done to strictly hiragana words. Heck, even some words that use kanji use katakana instead (for the sake of convenience).

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
About your double vowels, attention that if you forgot to pronounce it then it's another word. For example:
chizu = map
chiizu = cheese
obasan = aunt
obaasan = grandma

About writing with your computer:
You'll also encounter little tsu っ which is used to mark double consonants.
For example matte (with two T), both are heard when you speak (mat' tekudasai), but in hiragana or katakana you can't write a single letter, it's only syllabics. instead you use the little "tsu" in front of the double letter.

To write まって, you can either type "matte" or "ma xtu te" depending on your input method or software.

It's the same with other letters, not only with T.
to make all little letters, you use x+romaji (xtu (xtsu), u, yo, ya, etc.)

Some input method (IME) write kana one by one, so you need to type ma xtu te. Some other IME are memorizing what you type until you press Space bar or select from multiple choices : for example write "kanojo" and select either the hiragana or the kanji.
gallery_746_245_26.png

check Densetsu's topic for specific help ;)

GamerzInc

Trophies
XP
Country
I stayed in Japan for a month about a year ago. It was mostly in the Osaka area but I did travel to Nara, Hiroshima, Kobe, and Tokyo.
As far as their response to foreigners, they are very well receiving. So long as you respect them and their culture and be polite, they'll be that way in return.
Look for "Nomihoudai" All you can drink also. Usually runns about 200yen ~400yen to get in, but it's well worth it.
I used cash for about two weeks there. The other two weeks I used my card. I didn't really have any problems, but it is best to use cash in Japan, unless you're in a major retail district.
You should check out Akihabara, Shinjuku, and Shibuya.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://youtu.be/sCLvocTX2Ug