Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
gallery_111084_186_8112.png

I have always been a proponent of 3D as a movement, and felt the Virtual Boy was something I should experience. After obtaining a VB I spent a great deal of time researching the system’s past. Somewhere along that road I started to hash out a review that would include a history of the system, discuss Homebrew, and include information about the small library of games. However, I had lacked the free time to accomplish it and as a result this review sat on my back-burner for almost a year.

After some hard work, a few long nights, and lots of research, the review finally stands complete. Please give it a read and let me know your thoughts. I am happy to discuss anything I've said in this review. Please keep all discussions about the review to this news post thread. Please use the VB review itself to post positive or negative comments which expand upon the review, and try not to clutter the review with discussion which should have been posted elsewhere.

Just in case the VB does not interest you, you might like to know that it was invented by Nintendo's former janitor and machine maintenance employee. Want to read the review now?

icon11.gif
Virtual Boy Review

Reactions: 2 people

gloweyjoey

who??
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Dude, I remember when you bought the thing and said you were gonna make a review for it. It's great you actually got it up!

(please no AW isnt a dude comments please.)

Another World

Emulate the Planet!
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
if you two are being serious, i have to strongly disagree. after using the system for many 2-3 hour gaming sessions, i've never had a single ocular issue. no headaches, no eye strain, no sickly feelings, etc. yet, i've experienced eye strain, sinus type headaches, and eye tiredness after gaming in 3d for just under half an hour.

the only issue i've had with the VB is playing it in a well lit room. if you game for an hour (and don't take the automatic software recommended pauses) and then quickly look up into a well lit room you could wince at the brightness. its that same type of sudden light rush you might get when someone wakes you up by opening the black out curtains.

most people who have experienced the system first hand will admit that the red graphics make the system unique, are easy on the eyes, and that they aren't a negative aspect. full color would have been great, and if nintendo had known that the LEDs needed were right around the corner then perhaps the system would have had a better launch with a stronger software lineup.

i'll agree, as i'm sure anyone else will as well, that its the lack of quality software titles which hurts this system. as i said in the review, homebrew could fill this gap if more software developers embraced the VB.

either you love this system or you hate it (as i'm sure most do with everything in life), but there is no reason to mock it for a fault that was a technological impossibility in 1995.

-another world

tatumanu

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Loved the review! Very nice work :D
Thank you!
Hope nintendo releases VB games on the 3DS ... i would love to play Wario Land and Teleroboxer!

Another World

Emulate the Planet!
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
the last article i read by reggie (i think it was him), he said he was familiar with everything nintendo had produced BUT the virtual boy. he said that he would need to become more familiar with the system before he could make a comment in regards to releasing the software to the 3DS VC.

i'm in full agreement with you, the VB games on the 3ds would be really fun.

-another world

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: I played the intro to far cry 5, that is like some crazy Jim Jones cult shit. Still its petty...