what is a noob ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

geedub

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
i have been here a short time and myself and loads of others have been SLATED for being a noob so what is a noob ? ( sarcastic question )

is noob a misused gaming term ? ( ie a crap player )
is a noob a new member ?
is a noob a new member who is trying to learn ?
is a noob someone trying to find answers that have already been answered on the forum ?
is a noob someone asking for advise , personal opinion ?
is a noob someone asking what seems questions that have been answered elsewhere , even though the answers elsewhere might be out of date ?
is a noob someone that is an expert in there chosen scene/ scenes , but now theyve joined a new forum they are back to being a noob ?
is a noob an experienced gamer / person who has a question they dont know the answer to ?
is the word noob just a plain old insult between friends ?
is a noob someone that has had a break from the scene , and is trying to quickly catch up again ?
is a noob someone that says something you dont agree with ?
is the word noob not an insult / flaming ?
when is a noob no longer a noob ?

just my rant ! ....................lets ban the word noob , or use it in its proper context !

feel free to add your own noob questions lol

Smuff

Fossilized Gamer
Trophies
XP
Country
noob = newbie (I think) so it's generally a disdainful term for someone of little experience/knowledge/skill
laugh.gif

Locotes

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.locotes.wordpress.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
Noob in the urban dictionary:

Contrary to the belief of many, a noob/n00b and a newbie/newb are not the same thing. Newbs are those who are new to some task* and are very beginner at it, possibly a little overconfident about it, but they are willing to learn and fix their errors to move out of that stage. n00bs, on the other hand, know little and have no will to learn any more. They expect people to do the work for them and then expect to get praised about it, and make up a unique species of their own. It is the latter we will study in this guide so that the reader is prepared to encounter them in the wild if needed.

DarkRey

still transfoooorming.... with sum lags!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Croatia
these are the type of noobs available in gbatemp (internet)

QUOTE said:
The Noob (I hate to make a stereotype like this, but it has to be done)
There are so many kinds its really hard to name them all
1. The Useless Noob: The really really stupid noob that you want to smash their face into the screen. They ask a question that has long been answered or just one that is really. really. dumb. People smack their heads against the walls because of these kind of noobs. VERY VERY flamable.
2. The Innocent Noob: These are the genuine noobs. They ask normal questions that people would ask if they were new to the scene. They thank the people who help them and move along the way. These are the good noobs.
3. The Ecstatic Noob: The overly-excited-never-been-on-a-forum newcomer. They tend to post a lot of new topics saying the same thing or with a lot of exclamation points with CAPSLOCK on.
4. The Lurker Noob: The peeps that have 1 post because they only registered to ask that question

list is taken from tinymonkeyt's members guide
http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=118...t=0&start=0

tyuno123

Trophies
Website
tyuno.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Malaysia
Newbie (also said as nooby or newby) is a slang term for a newcomer to online gaming or an Internet activity. It can also be used for any other activity in whose context a somewhat clueless newcomer could exist. It can have derogatory connotations, but is also often used for descriptive purposes only, without a value judgement.

History

The word newbie is a variant of 'new boy' and comes from British public school and military slang[citation needed]. Before it entered popular discourse by way of the Internet, the term "newbie" had a limited usage among U.S. troops in the Vietnam War as a slang term for a new man in a unit.[1] Its earliest known usage on the Internet may have been on the USENET newsgroup talk.bizarre[2], and was certainly in use by 1981[3]

Variants

Coming from an oral tradition, the initial usage written either "newbie" or "newbee" (eg Los Angeles Times of August 1985: "It had to do with newbees. I could be wrong on the spelling, but newbees are the rookies among the Blue Angels...").
In internet usage the spelling "newbie" has been the norm, with some use of the shortened form "newb" (or "n00b").[citation needed] However, n00b is typically used more synonymously to "dork."

copied from wikipedia

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Take a look at "Wii - Hacking" for some prime examples of n00bery.

Seriously, I'm trying my best to cut the crap but its like Fantasia! The more crap I cut, the more crap appears.

granville

GBAtemp Goat
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A newb is simply someone who is new. Nothing wrong with that as they are learning the ropes.

A noob however is an idiot who is always pestering people with things they should figure out on their own. They are often very rude and always stupid. They are unwilling to learn anything and expect everyone to do what they want for them. I can think of a few noobish topics that often spring up here at the Temp:

1- Is there an (insert overpowered game console here) emulator for (insert underpowered game console here)?

2- Why won't my GBA roms work on my R4?

3- When is the next R4 firmware update?

4- Can I play Halo on DS?

5- Where can I download roms? (and no mods, I don't want to know where. Just giving an example.)

All of these topics could be answered by reading the stickies or at least having some common fucking sense. And there are always about 50 of these topics already asking the same thing, proving that these noobs never learn from their fellow noobs' mistakes. They also tend to bump extremely old topics to say something annoying.

nin10do

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Taiwan
a newbie is someone who just started playing a game and may or may not be good at it.

a noob is someone who's been playing the game for a long time now and is still bad at it.

one guy i know has been trying to learn to play the guitar for about 3 years now and still hasn't gotten past the simple a and c strums. i.e. complete noob.

UltraMagnus

hic sunt dracones
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
newbie, newb are just new to something

noobs, are new, or act like it, and are annoying

n00bs, as above, but really annoying

fracking n00bs, per noobs, but really, really, really, annoying?

am i forgetting anything?

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
For what is a n00b, what has he got?
If not himself, then he has naught.
To say the things he truly feels;
And not the words of one who kneels.

Raika

uguu
Trophies
XP
Country
noob=boon=baboon=monkey=low intelligence level=new at things or just plain stupid=noob

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/W-k8itKhZzE?si=x1FjAoq74Jv0TAUx +1