Misc Why do consoles like the Wii & PS3 have fully working emulators and the Xbox 360 doesn't?

Torchwood2007

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This has been confusing to me for a while. Why do these consoles, which are both harder to develop for (PS3) AND initially harder to decrypt data for (Wii), have fully working emulators that not only emulate games at faster rates than the physical hardware, but can also play almost every game that has ever been released for said consoles, yet the same can't be said for the Xbox 360? Even though it is practically just a PC but with special Microsoft software installed onto it. We've already managed to rip almost every title that has ever been released for the console, yet we can't get a functioning emulator to work? My brain trembles....

Reploid

Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
Even though it is practically just a PC but with special Microsoft software installed onto it.
Nope, totally different architecture. OG XBOX was just that, but it's still hard AF to emulate. So I think it's more about dedication.

There is Xenia tho, I've played Guardian Heroes HD with it, worked alright.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Might as well buy a series x. The only game I personally want from the 360 catalog, that it can't emulate, is eternal sonata.

nine0nine

Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
Available software, the console's success (nor the size of your hands) do not always reflect on the desire to build an emulator. I have no idea how well documented the 360s hardware is, but sometimes the fact that something is difficult is the draw for an emulator developer.

In short: I have no idea.

brickmii82

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's my understanding that the 360 and PS3 were a nightmare to develop for/emulate due to Cell and PowerPC CPU architecture.

LainaGabranth

Objectively the most infuriating woman ever
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Because the Wii was weak as shit and built on similar hardware to the previous console. I can't speak as to why the PS3 has such an emulator beyond perhaps the fixation on its exclusives; most exclusive Xbox 360 games are ported to PC and the like, or at least playable on XSX and XSS.

DKAngel

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
It's my understanding that the 360 and PS3 were a nightmare to develop for/emulate due to Cell and PowerPC CPU architecture.
except the wii was also power pc and the game cube and the wii was easy to emulate, just noone cared enough about the 360 to bother emulating it but the ps3 emulation has a come along way in the last year

brickmii82

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
except the wii was also power pc and the game cube and the wii was easy to emulate, just noone cared enough about the 360 to bother emulating it but the ps3 emulation has a come along way in the last year
Idk, like I said it was my understanding. That was a question(why aren't there more 360 devs) I asked a friend who does that kind of dev work and he told me "It's a pain in the ass to allocate resources with the documentation they provided" whatever that means. I left it at that.

Reactions: vstar950

HelpTheWretched

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
My understanding is that Wii was heavily based on GameCube hardware. So in addition to being less powerful than the other two, there was that leg-up. I mean the leading Wii emulator started as a GameCube emulator.

Dungeonseeker

Trophies
XP
Country
PS3 yes, XB360 not so much. Cell is a PPC based architecture and PPC is very well established (was used by Apple Macs through most of the 90s and 00's), the thing that made Cell so difficult to program for was the 8 co processors it had allowing it to do certain things incredibly quickly but only if the devs wanted to put in the time to learn how it all worked (kinda like the Saturn TBH).
My understanding is that Wii was heavily based on GameCube hardware. So in addition to being less powerful than the other two, there was that leg-up. I mean the leading Wii emulator started as a GameCube emulator.
Understatement, the Wii was literally a very slightly overclocked GC hence why it had GC mem card and controller ports on it.

Reactions: brickmii82

brickmii82

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
PS3 yes, XB360 not so much. Cell is a PPC based architecture and PPC is very well established (was used by Apple Macs through most of the 90s and 00's), the thing that made Cell so difficult to program for was the 8 co processors it had allowing it to do certain things incredibly quickly but only if the devs wanted to put in the time to learn how it all worked (kinda like the Saturn TBH).

Understatement, the Wii was literally a very slightly overclocked GC hence why it had GC mem card and controller ports on it.
Xenon CPU was basically like a downgraded Cell from what wiki says.

Donnie-Burger

Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
This has been confusing to me for a while. Why do these consoles, which are both harder to develop for (PS3) AND initially harder to decrypt data for (Wii), have fully working emulators that not only emulate games at faster rates than the physical hardware, but can also play almost every game that has ever been released for said consoles, yet the same can't be said for the Xbox 360? Even though it is practically just a PC but with special Microsoft software installed onto it. We've already managed to rip almost every title that has ever been released for the console, yet we can't get a functioning emulator to work? My brain trembles....
Most My 360 emulators are better than wii and or ps3 for the most part. N64 runs like shit just like the wii, ps1 with dynarec is actually really good on 360. Most systems below all run good.

Gamecube would be the only thing I can think about in terms of power that the 360 doesnt emulate. Yet the Wii can't emulate Xbox og. Retroarch update for the 360 with a nice core set would be Epic.

Dungeonseeker

Trophies
XP
Country
Xenon CPU was basically like a downgraded Cell from what wiki says.
Xenon & Cell were both pased on IBMs Power PC Architecture and the base CPUs were very similar, what made Cell different was its coprocessors. Cell was essentially designed as a complex arch that is extremely powerful at crunching numbers assuming you could wrap your head around splitting up your workload in the best way to take advantage of its subprocessing power.

Reactions: brickmii82

tech3475

Trophies
XP
Country
Xenon & Cell were both pased on IBMs Power PC Architecture and the base CPUs were very similar, what made Cell different was its coprocessors. Cell was essentially designed as a complex arch that is extremely powerful at crunching numbers assuming you could wrap your head around splitting up your workload in the best way to take advantage of its subprocessing power.

IIRC, at one point Sony even contemplated not having a GPU and instead just rely on CELL.

Reactions: godreborn

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I love it for most things most stores you just shows the receipt online and they scan it
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Makes it easy for incompetent restaurant staff that don't know how to hear an order
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Mostly for big purchases, I want it in my hands before I pay. Like a tv, I trust picking it up myself, before I'd trust it being sent thru mail/delivery. (Broken screen, etc) But yea if I can order online, then pickup at store is ok, but not all places offer that.
  • cearp @ cearp:
    > Like a tv, I trust picking it up myself, before I'd trust it being sent thru mail/delivery. (Broken screen, etc)

Thing is, if you break it driving back to your house, it's your fault. But if the delivery driver damages it, it's not your fault.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Most people that haul big tvs have empty trucks or know enough not to set it face down
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Then I gotta send it back and wait another week or two. I have a pickup truck, with a extended cab, so no prob for me.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Most manufacturers pack it well enough where they aren't that dumb to let it happen
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    They building a new Microcenter store near by me, is kinda scary. That's my favorite place, I'm like a kid in a candy store there.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, what's a microcenter?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Cool I'll make you ship me stuff
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Microcenter sells high quality microwaves
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Computer store basically, but they sell everything, like game systems, tvs , 3d printers, etc
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I've seen i9/mobo deals for like 400
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea been itching to build a new pc, mine is like 3-4 years old, ancient in pc tech time. Still using a sata SSD even.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That's still high tech to ancientboi
    +2
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Kinda cool, I can buy a second Xbox for guests, and download all my purchased digital games to it, and play on both xboxs same time. Didn't know they allowed that. 2 xboxs per Xbox account.
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    :rofl2: A toaster is "High Tech" to me
    +2
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    No we told you to stop taking baths with them
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Is crazy to think, you used to be able to build a decent PC for $300-400. Those days are way gone.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    $600 gets you a decent one
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @K3Nv2, too expensive
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Uremums expensive
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Uremums cheap, she even takes coupons still. She put a dollar on her head, and said "all you can eat, under a dollar."
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Gotta save a dollar where you can get a dollar
    +1
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Gotta save a dollar where you can get a dollar +1