Hacking Wii Disk Loaders Issues and Answers :

sentinel5000

Trophies
XP
Country
djtaz said:
the mario said:
I've recently installed the backup loader and tried a few burned DVDs, and they worked fine. But just today, I got a black screen error any time I tried to load a disc. I updated to 3.4, then system formatted, both didn't work. I now can't run any disc, including TP, so is my system screwed or is there some fix?
What steps did u take to 'system format' ?
Have you downgraded to 3.2 ?
What files have you used ?
What system is your wii showing now ?
when you say things didnt work ... what errors did you see ?
.... i could go on - the more you give us the more we can help , leave it vague and all you will get is vague answers , this will go on indefinately.

DvDrmann said:
In the #1 folder there's "boot.dol" and "cIOS36_rev7-Installer.dol"
I renamed cIOS36_rev7-Installer.dol to boot.dol and it seemed to install ok but still no joy. The loader reboots to the Wii menu without loading the disc.
Should i have other cIOs's installed including this one? For example: IOS38-64-v3609.wad or IOS16-64-v257-prod.wad?
It should work with just that cIOS installed - what version is your Wii ? If its 3.3 try downgrading to 3.2
cIOS16 is only installed to run the custom wad manager (at the moment) and isnt really required for anything else that you would need.

QUOTE(sentinel5000 @ Nov 30 2008, 10:40 PM)
Would gamma or the cIOS mess anything that has to do with running original games?
Not if you got the cIOS and/or wad files from a reliable source.

I did, from your sig, I hope thats reliable...

djtaz

PM's Full - Wadder Me
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
the mario said:
A system format, as in, choosing the format option from the Wii settings menu.

I used game ISOs burned to DVD with the backup loader.

3.4, like I said.

The error is a black screen telling you that the Wii cannot read the game disc. This happens every time I put a game disc into the Wii.

You getting errors because your on version 3.4 - the loader does not work on version 3.4 - simple as that.
IT WILL NOT WORK WHILE YOU ARE ON VERSION 3.4

djtaz

PM's Full - Wadder Me
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
sentinel5000 said:
I did, from your sig, I hope thats reliable...
Lol it is - i have tested everything in my sig and it all works perfectly.It wont interfere with anything on your Wii with regards to normal operations.

djtaz

PM's Full - Wadder Me
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
DvDrmann said:
djtaz said:
It should work with just that cIOS installed - what version is your Wii ? If its 3.3 try downgrading to 3.2
cIOS16 is only installed to run the custom wad manager (at the moment) and isnt really required for anything else that you would need.
The version of this wii is v3.2u.
Though i upgraded it to v3.2u from v2.0u using the update .wad files that i extracted from bushings update/unbricker .iso using Wiiscrubber.
So it wasn't necessarily updated through conventional means. (Retail disc or internet)

This system was given to me to mod but i wanted to try the loaders. I ran into problems when HBC wouldn't load due to the older fw.
Then, the guy's wii had the parental locks "On" so i had to deal with that. (no internet)
Anyway, all said & done, i'm just going to leave it with an SD card in there an' tell him to use the loader through the HBC.

Thanx for the help though djtaz.

DvDrmann.

yeah you really need to parental controls off - there is a hint option on that (ran into the same problem myself yesterday)
I eventually got the pin - did an official update to 3.4 , then downgraded to 3.2 using emperors guide (great guide) and then installed as normal and it worked perfectly from 2.1 to 3.4 to 3.2 and away we go.
If you can get the code ur sorted.

the mario

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
djtaz said:
the mario said:
A system format, as in, choosing the format option from the Wii settings menu.

I used game ISOs burned to DVD with the backup loader.

3.4, like I said.

The error is a black screen telling you that the Wii cannot read the game disc. This happens every time I put a game disc into the Wii.

You getting errors because your on version 3.4 - the loader does not work on version 3.4 - simple as that.
IT WILL NOT WORK WHILE YOU ARE ON VERSION 3.4

djtaz

PM's Full - Wadder Me
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
see where it says :

Click here to install backuploader on ANY Wii including version 3.4

in my signature ?

try clicking it
ohmy.gif

DvDrmann

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
djtaz said:
... there is a hint option on that (ran into the same problem myself yesterday)
I eventually got the pin...
Here's a great link made by Marcan & Bushing
bow.gif
for anyone who needs to take off Parental Controls and you don't know the PIN.

http://wii.marcansoft.com/parental.psp

Just go to parental controls in the Wii system menu an just click "I forgot" until you get a #.
Enter the # into the above link and make sure the date is the current one in your timezone and presto: you have your 5 digit master PIN to unlock Parental Controls.

djtaz: i was thinking that i would do the upgrade to v3.4 then back to v3.2 but
rolleyes.gif
I've had enough and i think in the end, he'll be happy.

I will take all that i have learned through doing this an' apply it to the next Wii.
wink2.gif

djtaz

PM's Full - Wadder Me
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
DvDrmann said:
djtaz said:
... there is a hint option on that (ran into the same problem myself yesterday)
I eventually got the pin...
Here's a great link made by Marcan & Bushing
bow.gif
for anyone who needs to take off Parental Controls and you don't know the PIN.

http://wii.marcansoft.com/parental.psp

Just go to parental controls in the Wii system menu an just click "I forgot" until you get a #.
Enter the # into the above link and make sure the date is the current one in your timezone and presto: you have your 5 digit master PIN to unlock Parental Controls.

djtaz: i was thinking that i would do the upgrade to v3.4 then back to v3.2 but
rolleyes.gif
I've had enough and i think in the end, he'll be happy.

I will take all that i have learned through doing this an' apply it to the next Wii.
wink2.gif

Firstly - thanks for that link - very handy
Secondly - take a look at the link in my sig for Click here to install backuploader on ANY Wii including version 3.4 - its Emperors guide - just update and then follow steps 1 and 2 - its well worth the effort , but you may need his files on one SD card and mine on another so as not to confuse things - just do step one , followed by step 2 - then put the SD with my zip in and run the cios and wad. I know that would play on my mind if i didnt get it the wayi wanted it, but thats me.

the mario

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
djtaz said:
see where it says :

in my signature ?

try clicking it
ohmy.gif
>_<

Did you not just read my post about how I downloaded your zip file? About how I can't run Twilight Princess because NO disc works on my Wii? Your zip file? It REQUIRES Twilight Princess to run. I don't understand where you're getting lost here.

Pyrofyr

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Probably a stupid ass question but, how do I get WiiWare/VC installed? I've looked around and most info is kinda half-there, half-not, implying that I should know certain things... >_> All I have right now is HBC, no DVDx(Guessing I need to get?), and nothing else installed...

After some more searching it appears I'll need the "WAD installer", is there anything that should be known generically about this, or a good FAQ?

I'd take the tries with older information, but to be honest I've been monitoring this section haphazardly for the past 3 months, and the jump in information is astonishing.

Well, I got my answer from some YouTube video actually, so I should be able to get this working now, it told me to use Wad Manager 1.1 (downloaded previously), and just use that from inside of HBC. o_o;

-Goes to try this crap >.>-

vegeta4ss

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I'm having issues out of a few selected games that are all PAL. According to the compatibility wiki, they should be working.

A few boot to a black screen, and a few come up with a split bar in the middle. The ones that come up with the split are actually working, but the video mode is all messed up. I always try all three force options before consulting the compatibility list. Force NTSC usually results in a green screen on the titles mentioned below.

I have tried using wiigionfree and wiu patcher, but have not had any different results. I am not sure if I am doing something wrong or what? Am I using the wrong program? I have tried to search this info down but there is so many threads on here it's hard to find what you need specifically with a search.

The only thing I have not tried is setting a different console language on the main menu and booting again. That seems a bit much but maybe it will work on one or two of these.

My main frustrations are on these titles: (which all but 1 are verified on the compat. list)

Mario Party 8 (Split screen)
Monster Lab (Black Screen)
Manhunt 2 (Black screen)
Monopoly (Black screen)
AMF bowling world lanes (Black Screen) - think this one only works with chipped consoles
Bombermanland (PAL 60hz fixed, comes up split screen) tried forcing pal 60 and ntsc, no dice
Harvest Moon: Magical Melody (Split Screen)

I hope somebody can explain to me what I am doing wrong.

Pyrofyr

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Another question (feels like he's going to get jabbed :wtf:), is it better to use GeckoOS or what? I've read like 4~5 different ways to run backups. I won't actually go buy the DVD-R/+Rs until Thursday, but I want to know ahead of time.

Also, I've heard from MANY people to 'ONLY' use Verbatims, but I've also heard of tons of people using Memorex/Staples brand, did something happen that I don't know about that using Verbatims is no longer next-to-necessary?

VanAuberjim

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
Vegeta, I'm getting black screens (and disc locks) when I run the games with the Backup launcher channel. If I run the Homebrew Channel, run the Backup Launcher (not the channel) from there, then all my backup work correctly. Can you try that?

djtaz

PM's Full - Wadder Me
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
the mario said:
djtaz said:
see where it says :

in my signature ?

try clicking it
ohmy.gif
>_<

Did you not just read my post about how I downloaded your zip file? About how I can't run Twilight Princess because NO disc works on my Wii? Your zip file? It REQUIRES Twilight Princess to run. I don't understand where you're getting lost here.

I said nothing about my zip file... please READ what im saying and dont ASSUME what im saying - i said to click Click here to install backuploader on ANY Wii including version 3.4 that is not my zip file

djtaz

PM's Full - Wadder Me
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
vegeta4ss said:
I hope somebody can explain to me what I am doing wrong.
You have explained what happens but told us nothing about your wii, the software u use , the region , the games regions etc etc
We need to know everything to try to help

djtaz

PM's Full - Wadder Me
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Pyrofyr said:
Also, I've heard from MANY people to 'ONLY' use Verbatims, but I've also heard of tons of people using Memorex/Staples brand, did something happen that I don't know about that using Verbatims is no longer next-to-necessary?
Quite a lot of different brand DVD's work - plus and minus R discs.

The only ones that work with consistancy are the Verbatims.

I have philips 16 speed -R discs and they work a treat - got them in a 100 stack and they say 16 but my drive burns at a max of 4x on them.
My work buddy saw these and got the same discs in a 25 stack - burnt at 8 speed on my laptop - and not even one game worked
tried another at 4x speed from their stack - discs failed agian

tried one from my 100 stack , worked fine..

In brief - a lot of discs work , but if you want to save headaches and guarantee a working disc on your first try , get the ones that work for everyone.

noobwarrior7

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
djtaz said:
Pyrofyr said:
Quite a lot of different brand DVD's work - plus and minus R discs.

The only ones that work with consistancy are the Verbatims.

I have philips 16 speed -R discs and they work a treat - got them in a 100 stack and they say 16 but my drive burns at a max of 4x on them.
My work buddy saw these and got the same discs in a 25 stack - burnt at 8 speed on my laptop - and not even one game worked
tried another at 4x speed from their stack - discs failed agian

tried one from my 100 stack , worked fine..

In brief - a lot of discs work , but if you want to save headaches and guarantee a working disc on your first try , get the ones that work for everyone.

right.

Verbatim work because about 80%-90% percent of the time they get their discs from high quality manufacturers, keep in mind, that still means 10-20% of their disc packs are crap, and its seemingly random, so no way to really know what you're getting....

that said, these folks consistenly sell high quality media (among others of course)
-Verbatim
-Fuji
-Sony (somewhat)

vegeta4ss

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
VanAuberjim said:
Vegeta, I'm getting black screens (and disc locks) when I run the games with the Backup launcher channel. If I run the Homebrew Channel, run the Backup Launcher (not the channel) from there, then all my backup work correctly. Can you try that?
I will try this, didn't think that it would work any diff than the channel.

QUOTE(DjTaz @ Dec 1 2008, 08:42 AM)You have explained what happens but told us nothing about your wii, the software u use , the region , the games regions etc etc
We need to know everything to try to help

Sorry about that, must have left that off by accident. My system is a 3.3Uv1 with the gamma loader. The games that give me trouble are usually PAL titles. Even when I regionfrii them they still dont work
frown.gif

VanAuberjim

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
Philips discs don't have much glue between the 2 layers (even the single layer DVDs have 2 thin discs glued together, unlike the CDs) and sometimes they split inside your drive, which isn't a good thing for the drive.

(Use your nail and try to separate the two thin discs [or polycarbonate substrates] http://www.beststuff.com/images/articles/090606b.jpg, and you'll see what I mean. You can't stick a nail in other brands DVDs because they're full of glue. And that's not only on Dual Layer discs but on Single Layer as well)

We're waaay out of topic now!

Pyrofyr

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for the info guys, I'll grab some Fuji/Sony probably, Verbatims are way overpriced, although that's a nice percentage, yeah...

I'm looking at these specifically: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16817507004

They're not listed as such but I'm betting it's a cyber monday deal, for those prices...

Anything crazy about these I should know about that is the cause of them being so cheap for verbatims?

BTW I was reading up on the difference between DVD+R and DVD-R, do I need a specific one, or will either work?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • realtimesave @ realtimesave:
    I tried to get a slim on a black friday once, but they ran out of stock for the $100 one
  • realtimesave @ realtimesave:
    many ages ago
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    You can find them $50-75 nowdays if catch a deal
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Still remember grabbing this ps4 slim on black Friday for $200 when the msrp was still around 300
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I went to auction at a mom/pops video game store few months ago that was closing, and bought 11 slims for $200, 1 was DOA but 10 work fine. so hella deal. Already rgh3'ed 8 of them. But most younger kids don't even want anymore, unless it plays stupid "fortnight", or newer shit.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Think I'm gonna use my giftcard balance on a nice pair of headphones but $100 is still limited
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Soundcore q30s are nice but they leak so much sound it sounds like speakers
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Ken spend the 100 on a gun and skii mask, wait for a jogger at the park jewelry money and headphones!
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    If only Amazon sold guns
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Fucking dick heads think it's a bad idea to get a gun 2 days later
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Wait, I thought you were the dickhe...nvm
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I got balls on my chin and two dicks on my forehead sir
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Sorry, no offense there double dickhead chinballs.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Chicks still love it
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    "Mommy, look, what is that?". "That's your soon to be daddy."
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That you'll only see once
    +2
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Double dickhead chinballs is still better than double dickhead eyeballs.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    As in, the balls will grow in your eye sockets.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I paid 5 grand to get them moved to my chin
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    This you?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    My hair can't be that cool
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://infimobile.com/details/plans-5734270 this is kinda tempting