Hacking Wii Hard drive iso loader in action

MeowMix

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Last thing on my mind = Harddrive + 2.0 DRIVERS.

Ideas.

1. Code IOS Patch for driver 2.0
2. Lazyily dump a hospital Wii.

two options

Rocco Savadgie

Trophies
XP
Country

xergal

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Arakon said:
considering the dev units have an internal HDD, it would cost nintendo very little more to make a bunch more of those with a custom IPL.

Erm....no they don't. I'd like to know where you get your information from:P

The Wii dev units have no optical drive and don't even look like a Wii. They look like an old C.B powerpack, huge and black. THey have three USB 2.0 ports which is used for connecting to the Dev's PC, which in turn allows them to load their "ISO" streamed from their computer.

I can add a pic of an NDEV if you really want, but it'll scar your retina...it's bloody ugly.

Arakon

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
xergal said:
Arakon said:
considering the dev units have an internal HDD, it would cost nintendo very little more to make a bunch more of those with a custom IPL.

Erm....no they don't. I'd like to know where you get your information from:P

The Wii dev units have no optical drive and don't even look like a Wii. They look like an old C.B powerpack, huge and black. THey have three USB 2.0 ports which is used for connecting to the Dev's PC, which in turn allows them to load their "ISO" streamed from their computer.

I can add a pic of an NDEV if you really want, but it'll scar your retina...it's bloody ugly.

I'm talking about the test units, not the main dev stations.
Which have a USB port too, btw.. for installation to the HDD.

Volkov

Trophies
XP
Country
Vater Unser said:
menkros said:
Well I've seen it in action. When you turn it on it goes straight to a custom ipod style menu with pics of the full games. It has 20 of them from mario galaxy to mario kart all full games. All I could tell hardware wise was a white hard drive attached to wii usb drive.
here's the info:

$4,250 which includes the cost of the unit, all taxes, shipping and administration, and repair and maintenance for the life of the Fun Center
Four fucking thousand dollars?
blink.gif

Wii: $250
20 Games:

doslu

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
i read that in the readme of new Mplayerv0.06

-v0.06 (10/03/08):
-huge speedup on USB devices (thanks to rodries and Hermes)

very gooooooood

Slowking

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
elfsander said:
The Wii USB ports ARE 2.0. It's the simple fact that the Wii software doesn't know how to handle USB 2.0 devices yet, which disables us from using USB 2.0 transfer speed. USB 2.0 only devices are working on the Wii, and test the speed of the LAN adapter (on local servers) shows that infact it's using LAN speed. Which is more than USB 1.1.
Sorry but I really can't believe this. As you said yourself, the USB-ports are currently locked at the speed of USB 1.1 through the IOS, wether they are capable of more or not. Can you show me some proof, that you transfered date at 100Mbps from or to the Wii?
And why are you so sure that the hardware can handle 2.0?

Btw. are there even USB 2.0 only devices. I allways thought backwards compatibility is one of the key-features of USB...

QUOTE(doslu @ Oct 4 2008, 04:38 PM) i read that in the readme of new Mplayerv0.06

-v0.06 (10/03/08):
-huge speedup on USB devices (thanks to rodries and Hermes)

very gooooooood
Probably just means that they are now utelizing the full speed of USB 1.1. 16Mbps are more than enough for SD-Movies.

Foppzter

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
With todays technology, it would almost cost more to produce USB 1.1 ports than USB 2.0 ports.
So it is probably USB 2.0 ports locked to 1.1 with some firmware somewhere.

SpongeFreak52

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I can see why they would have done that too. Nintendo probably only meant the USB ports to be used for the LAN adapter. Since the wireless B chip in the Wii can only allow 11 Mbps, there wouldn't be much need for anything faster in the USB ports.

Not sure why they would have capped it at 1.1 speeds though. It's almost as if they knew it would be utilized for ISO loading.
tongue.gif

Zerxer

Trophies
Website
www.sitexero.net
XP
Country
United States
SpongeFreak52 said:
Not sure why they would have capped it at 1.1 speeds though. It's almost as if they knew it would be utilized for ISO loading.
tongue.gif
Of course. Probably why they also didn't just add in support for SDHC; didn't want us putting full games on an SDHC card and playing through there (if that would even be fast enough?).

SpongeFreak52

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Haha, very likely, although it is a major pain waiting for your Channels to backup onto the SD card. @_@

Come to think of it, other than it's internals, the Wii is quite the crappy device to be used for anything process intensive. WLAN-B, USB 1.1 speeds, low SD speeds...dang.

Foppzter

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
The reason you see low SD writing/reading speeds is because the system encrypts/decrypts the file(s).
Do we know how fast the reader really is?
What game have the biggest unprotected savefile so we can start copying it and see how fast it is.

Slowking

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Foppzter said:
With todays technology, it would almost cost more to produce USB 1.1 ports than USB 2.0 ports.
So it is probably USB 2.0 ports locked to 1.1 with some firmware somewhere.
I agree. It's probably 2.0. I'm just saying, that you can't just assume it is. It could very well be 1.1 and everyone would be disappointed....

richy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
OK, so maybe there's newer topics about the Starlight than this one but up until yesterday I'd never heard of it. Surely now that we've got a working hard drive loader of our very own we NEED to get a front end like this baby!
smile.gif

Maybe someone who works at a hospital can just "accidentally" dump some files off one or something? Yeah, ok... but I can dream, can't I?
wink.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Biomutant looks cool tho, may have to try that
  • Quincy @ Quincy:
    Usually when such a big title leaks the Temp will be the first to report about it (going off of historical reports here, Pokemon SV being the latest one I can recall seeing pop up here)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I still like how a freaking mp3 file hacks webos all that security defeated by text yet again
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    They have simulators for everything nowdays, cray cray. How about a sim that shows you playing the Switch.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That's called yuzu
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I want a 120hz 4k tv but crazy how more expensive the 120hz over the 60hz are. Or even more crazy is the price of 8k's.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    No real point since movies are 30fps
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Not a big movie buff, more of a gamer tbh. And Series X is 120hz 8k ready, but yea only 120hz 4k games out right now, but thinking of in the future.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Mostly why you never see TV manufacturers going post 60hz
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I only watch tv when i goto bed, it puts me to sleep, and I have a nas drive filled w my fav shows so i can watch them in order, commercial free. I usually watch Married w Children, or South Park
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Stremio ruined my need for nas
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I stream from Nas to firestick, one on every tv, and use Kodi. I'm happy w it, plays everything. (I pirate/torrent shows/movies on pc, and put on nas)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Kodi repost are still pretty popular
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    What the hell is Kodi reposts? what do you mean, or "Wut?" -xdqwerty
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Google them basically web crawlers to movie sites
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    oh you mean the 3rd party apps on Kodi, yea i know what you mean, yea there are still a few cool ones, in fact watched the new planet of the apes movie other night w wifey thru one, was good pic surprisingly, not a cam
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Damn, only $2.06 and free shipping. Gotta cost more for them to ship than $2.06
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I got my Dad a firestick for Xmas and showed him those 3rd party sites on Kodi, he loves it, all he watches anymore. He said he has got 3 letters from AT&T already about pirating, but he says f them, let them shut my internet off (He wants out of his AT&T contract anyways)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That's where stremio comes to play never got a letter about it
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I just use a VPN, even give him my login and password so can use it also, and he refuses, he's funny.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I had to find and get him an old style flip phone even without text, cause thats what he wanted. No text, no internet, only phone calls. Old, old school.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: @BigOnYa...