PS1/2 Emulator WiiStation - Another Fork of WiiSXRX released

ssjkakaroto

Trophies
XP
Country
@Felold I figured out what my issue was: the image format.
The one I had laying around was CCD/IMG/SUB which I was using on USB. So to test with the Wii's SD card, I decided to try all formats and these are the results:

Wii SD card (Using 16a and Saulfabre's build)
CCD/IMG/SUB - Oscillating FPS between 59.81 and ~58 and noticeable stutter (a little less than with USB)
BIN/CUE - Steady 59.81 FPS, no stutter
CHD (Deflate+FLAC) - Steady 59.81 FPS, no stutter

USB (Using 16a and Saulfabre's build)
CCD/IMG/SUB - Oscillating FPS between 59.81 and ~56 and noticeable stutter

So there is some issue with how the emulator is handling CCD/IMG/SUB files even though both IMG and BIN files are identical (same size and hash).

Disorarara

Trophies
XP
Country
If anyone could add a force 60hz mode that would be amazing, these 50hz PAL games are killing me!
Post automatically merged:

@Felold I figured out what my issue was: the image format.
The one I had laying around was CCD/IMG/SUB which I was using on USB. So to test with the Wii's SD card, I decided to try all formats and these are the results:

Wii SD card (Using 16a and Saulfabre's build)
CCD/IMG/SUB - Oscillating FPS between 59.81 and ~58 and noticeable stutter (a little less than with USB)

USB (Using 16a and Saulfabre's build)
CCD/IMG/SUB - Oscillating FPS between 59.81 and ~56 and noticeable stutter

So there is some issue with how the emulator is handling CCD/IMG/SUB files even though both IMG and BIN files are identical (same size and hash).

Interesting report, good find!

Last edited by Disorarara,

Disorarara

Trophies
XP
Country
The problem with adding 60hz will be that in certain PAL50 games issues may arise such as distorted sound in cutscenes or speed problems.
It would be an interesting option to consider anyway.

Sure it wouldn't work for all games but there is quite a few poorly optimized Japanese made PAL localizations that never made it to America, as well as a few PAL games that just play better in 60hz. It's one of the very minor but very welcome features of duckstation.

Ouaz

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Have anyone tested if CHD files created this way have better compatibility than ones with LZMA?
I tested Colin McRae 1 PAL (v1.1 ; SLES-00477) converted to CHD without LZMA... and, this time, it crashed in the time trial menu (Exception "ISI" occured), after roughly 1 hour game time.

Last time, converted to CHD with LZMA, it crashed during the 2nd lesson of the Intermediate Rally School after a few minutes (without LZMA, it does not crash there).

So, we can assume that the crashes are really random. ^^

xunga

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
I tested Colin McRae 1 PAL (v1.1 ; SLES-00477) converted to CHD without LZMA... and, this time, it crashed in the time trial menu (Exception "ISI" occured), after roughly 1 hour game time.

Last time, converted to CHD with LZMA, it crashed during the 2nd lesson of the Intermediate Rally School after a few minutes (without LZMA, it does not crash there).

So, we can assume that the crashes are really random. ^^

Try dynarec to see if the same thing happens.

Reactions: SaulFabre

xunga

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
I don't really understand about showing the progress, because with the namdhc GUI you also see the bar for each file and at the end of the operation you can see the log file with all the detailed data. Also in options you can select to show a verbose window and a console window for each new job. You can have as much information on screen as you want.

It is a Windows frontend for CHDMA, but created a year ago. Probably with Windows 10 you would not have any problem.

I use it on linux with wine and it works very well. A simple way to manage the CHD format for those who don't know how to use the command console.

I have restarted Spiderman from the beginning and I'm already in the part where I chase Venom. No crashes so far, not even changing the configuration to analog in the middle of the game.

I still have some games to test, but... is it just me or does the Dynarec and CHD combination work great?

Last edited by xunga,

Disorarara

Trophies
XP
Country
I don't really understand about showing the progress, because with the namdhc GUI you also see the bar for each file and at the end of the operation you can see the log file with all the detailed data. Also in options you can select to show a verbose window and a console window for each new job. You can have as much information on screen as you want.

It is a Windows frontend for CHDMA, but created a year ago. Probably with Windows 10 you would not have any problem.

I use it on linux with wine and it works very well. A simple way to manage the CHD format for those who don't know how to use the command console.

I have restarted Spiderman from the beginning and I'm already in the part where I chase Venom. No crashes so far, not even changing the configuration to analog in the middle of the game.

I still have some games to test, but... is it just me or does the Dynarec and CHD combination work great?

Dynarec in general seems to have an overall higher compatibility as of right now, the speed just isn't there but if the game you're playing is light enough it's perfect.

Ouaz

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Try dynarec to see if the same thing happens.

I tried Dynarec, and crashes didn't happen with CHD.

It seems so.

But one big downside: grandpa Dynarec is so slow. I lose 10 FPS on Colin 1 CHD (also on Colin 2 with cue/bin), and there's some graphical glitches (mainly on global light FX) that do not happen with Lightrec.

On the other hand, it makes both games easier lol

Reactions: xunga

xunga

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
I tried Dynarec, and crashes didn't happen with CHD.

But one big downside: grandpa Dynarec is so slow. I lose 10 FPS on Colin 1 CHD (also on Colin 2 with cue/bin), and there's some graphical glitches (mainly on global light FX) that do not happen with Lightrec.

Thank you for checking it out.

Since we are testing, if you can check how it works with PBP and Lightrec and if it also gives you error at the same point. All for the sake of science.:yaywii:

GustavoReis

GameCube and wii lover
Trophies
Website
mundowiihack.wordpress.com
XP
Country
Brazil
and @xjsxjs197 continues working :grog:

Screenshot_20231011-232132.png

SaulFabre

I like Yoshis and the Wii/Wii U scene.
Trophies
Website
saulfabreg-wiivc.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Ecuador
@GustavoReis
Yeah i saw @xjsxjs197 is working for merge some latest changes from upstream PCSX-ReARMed but by now we're not merging it to the main branch cause like he said, this broke Lightrec by now, i don't know why.

Bedlam - the game has serious graphical glitches from the first screen, making it impossible to see the menu and be able to do anything
@retrodern
Few days ago i reported the same issue on upstream PCSX-ReARMed GitHub cause this problem also plagued there and like @Jokippo said, it's because of timings in the CDROM emulation.

notaz fixed that here: https://github.com/libretro/pcsx_rearmed/commit/b524c6713370c79574d69b0dba4601040c39a27c

I merged this change in my personal fork of WiiStation, i would try compiling it later.

Reactions: GustavoReis

grandosegood

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
hey all, can you use custom configs when making single rom loaders for this game, by adding them to the meta.xml? the default settings work fine for most that i play, but i'd like a separate config for tekken 3 to have interlaced setting on, but use the standard config i've made for the other games.

SaulFabre

Trophies
Website
XP
Country
Ecuador
hey all, can you use custom configs when making single rom loaders for this game, by adding them to the meta.xml? the default settings work fine for most that i play, but i'd like a separate config for tekken 3 to have interlaced setting on, but use the standard config i've made for the other games.
Correct. You can put the values of the settingsRX2022.cfg file as arguments in the meta.xml.

A small example:

For Tekken 3, you want to run it in Lightrec, use Interlaced mode, and run it without Dithering, the arguments would be:
Code:
   <arguments>
    <arg>sd:/apps/sfg_ps1_tekken3/iso</arg> <!-- full path of the folder where the game is stored -->
    <arg>sfg_Tekken3.chd</arg> <!-- PS1 game to load in .cue, .pbp, .img or .chd -->
    <arg>Core = 1</arg> <!-- toggle type of core (0 = Interpreter, 1 = Lightrec, 2 = PPC Dynarec) -->
    <arg>Interlaced = 1</arg> <!-- toggle Interlaced mode (0 = disabled, 1 = enabled) -->
    <arg>Dithering = 0</arg> <!-- toggle Dithering (0 = disabled, 1 = enabled) -->
   </arguments>

Another example: for Silent Hill, you want with the improved PPC dynarec, with frameskipping, with Dithering, and having bilinear filter. The arguments would be:
Code:
   <arguments>
    <arg>sd:/apps/sfg_ps1_silenthill/iso</arg> <!-- full path of the folder where the game is stored -->
    <arg>sfg_SilentHill.cue</arg> <!-- PS1 game to load in .cue, .pbp, .img or .chd -->
    <arg>Core = 2</arg> <!-- toggle type of core (0 = Interpreter, 1 = Lightrec, 2 = PPC Dynarec) -->
    <arg>SkipFrames = 1</arg> <!-- toggle Frameskipping (0 = disabled, 1 = enabled) -->
    <arg>Dithering = 1</arg> <!-- toggle Dithering (0 = disabled, 1 = enabled) -->
    <arg>BilinearFilter = 1</arg> <!-- toggle bilinear filter (0 = disabled, 1 = enabled) -->
   </arguments>

Please consider that other settings you don't tell as arguments in the meta.xml will be loaded from global settings (settingsRX2022.cfg).

Hope this understand.

Disorarara

Trophies
XP
Country
Correct. You can put the values of the settingsRX2022.cfg file as arguments in the meta.xml.

A small example:

For Tekken 3, you want to run it in Lightrec, use Interlaced mode, and run it without Dithering, the arguments would be:
Code:
   <arguments>
    <arg>sd:/apps/sfg_ps1_tekken3/iso</arg> <!-- full path of the folder where the game is stored -->
    <arg>sfg_Tekken3.chd</arg> <!-- PS1 game to load in .cue, .pbp, .img or .chd -->
    <arg>Core = 1</arg> <!-- toggle type of core (0 = Interpreter, 1 = Lightrec, 2 = PPC Dynarec) -->
    <arg>Interlaced = 1</arg> <!-- toggle Interlaced mode (0 = disabled, 1 = enabled) -->
    <arg>Dithering = 0</arg> <!-- toggle Dithering (0 = disabled, 1 = enabled) -->
   </arguments>

Another example: for Silent Hill, you want with the improved PPC dynarec, with frameskipping, with Dithering, and having bilinear filter. The arguments would be:
Code:
   <arguments>
    <arg>sd:/apps/sfg_ps1_silenthill/iso</arg> <!-- full path of the folder where the game is stored -->
    <arg>sfg_SilentHill.cue</arg> <!-- PS1 game to load in .cue, .pbp, .img or .chd -->
    <arg>Core = 2</arg> <!-- toggle type of core (0 = Interpreter, 1 = Lightrec, 2 = PPC Dynarec) -->
    <arg>SkipFrames = 1</arg> <!-- toggle Frameskipping (0 = disabled, 1 = enabled) -->
    <arg>Dithering = 1</arg> <!-- toggle Dithering (0 = disabled, 1 = enabled) -->
    <arg>BilinearFilter = 1</arg> <!-- toggle bilinear filter (0 = disabled, 1 = enabled) -->
   </arguments>

Please consider that other settings you don't tell as arguments in the meta.xml will be loaded from global settings (settingsRX2022.cfg).

Hope this understand.

Incredible!! I had no idea Wiistation had such a feature

SaulFabre

Trophies
Website
XP
Country
Ecuador
A new build of my branch of WiiStation with latest CDROM and CDRISO from PCSX-ReARMed.

I've cloned RearmCdromCdiso until git https://github.com/xjsxjs197/WiiSXRX_2022/commit/a46968331abe1ddeed88c6c01e01b841ad5ae021 because latest git https://github.com/xjsxjs197/WiiSXRX_2022/commit/8c7e2f1d3a2157fdd7b7af00849b7522a2cbb727 broke Lightrec.

Full changes i made here can be found here: https://github.com/saulfabregwiivc/WiiStation/commits/cdrom-pcsxrearm-latest

This fixes Bedlam (PAL) having severely corrupted graphics. (@retrodern)
Also adjustes the resume timing hack (notaz), otherwise some loading times (ex. Final Fantasy 7) will be extremely long.

Please test this build, thanks ;)

Attachments

• WiiStation_cdrom-pcsxrearm-latest_12102023.zip
    1.1 MB · Views: 17

Disorarara

Trophies
XP
Country
A new build of my branch of WiiStation with latest CDROM and CDRISO from PCSX-ReARMed.

I've cloned RearmCdromCdiso until git https://github.com/xjsxjs197/WiiSXRX_2022/commit/a46968331abe1ddeed88c6c01e01b841ad5ae021 because latest git https://github.com/xjsxjs197/WiiSXRX_2022/commit/8c7e2f1d3a2157fdd7b7af00849b7522a2cbb727 broke Lightrec.

Full changes i made here can be found here: https://github.com/saulfabregwiivc/WiiStation/commits/cdrom-pcsxrearm-latest

Also adjustes the resume timing hack (notaz), otherwise some loading times (ex. Final Fantasy 7) will be extremely long.

Works exactly as it should, too bad this game is actually really awful lol.

Jokippo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands

Seems to work well, it also fixes Worms Pinball.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/vb-RNPvOb5M?si=J4BktsiMjYqTDkIo +1