Disorarara

Trophies
XP
Country
@Disorarara
Do you mean this version of WiiSX 4.0?
https://oscwii.org/library/app/wiiSX

Or the WiiSXRX 4.0 version?

I used to love This is football 2, it would be great to play it again.
It is one of the most impressive PSX games I've ever seen, it sounds ridiculous but it is impressive to me as Omega Boost is, it truly feels like a next generation game. As an American I have never been exposed to this game until i had to test it for compatibility's sake and it is one of the most impressive games of all time!

MeXen

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
I was playing Rondo of the Night (Hack of SotN that focuses on Richter), then i got a random stack dump while i was farming up killing the mermen, rebooted the Wii and i played trough the game avoiding that part up until i leveled up to lv 8, and no crash so far, but now its one of those cases where i play knowing that it aint a case of ''it will?'' but ''When will'', such a shame.

Played via 1TB Toshiba Blue external HDD on Bin/Cue Format, previous Wiistation build to current one.

Reactions: SaulFabre

Maeson

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
I wanted to ask, is there away to preserve the resolution of games instead of stretching them?

Example: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night is a rather messy game. It uses 320x224 in some parts, like the story text after the intro with Richter, or in the ingame menu, but uses 256x224 during gameplay, or the main menu.

Currently Wiistation stretches anything below 320 to that, so the gameplay looks quite not on par with the other parts. Other games, like Abe's Oddysee are also 256x224, and looks sort of (horizontally) blurry when compared to games that do play in 320x224, like Castlevania during gameplay.

It's kinda fascinating and annoying at the same time how many video modes the PS1 has. Some games are 224 vertically, others 240. Some are 320 horizontally, others 256, others 640, or even 512, although these can be worked with as they're just double of the first two.

It's not the end of the world or anything, just wanted to be sure that I may not have overlooked something.

I tested NTSC Resident Evil and I did not notice any voice skipping.

Which remidns me... Is there a way to remap two buttons to do the same thing? So I could have, let's say, D-Pad UP and R-Z on my Classic Controller both be D-Pad Up? It'd be neat to have a similar control scheme for the original RE1 as you can have on RE1 Remake, RE2 and RE3 on GC.

MeXen

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
I wanted to ask, is there away to preserve the resolution of games instead of stretching them?

Example: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night is a rather messy game. It uses 320x224 in some parts, like the story text after the intro with Richter, or in the ingame menu, but uses 256x224 during gameplay, or the main menu.

Currently Wiistation stretches anything below 320 to that, so the gameplay looks quite not on par with the other parts. Other games, like Abe's Oddysee are also 256x224, and looks sort of (horizontally) blurry when compared to games that do play in 320x224, like Castlevania during gameplay.

It's kinda fascinating and annoying at the same time how many video modes the PS1 has. Some games are 224 vertically, others 240. Some are 320 horizontally, others 256, others 640, or even 512, although these can be worked with as they're just double of the first two.

It's not the end of the world or anything, just wanted to be sure that I may not have overlooked something.

I tested NTSC Resident Evil and I did not notice any voice skipping.

Which remidns me... Is there a way to remap two buttons to do the same thing? So I could have, let's say, D-Pad UP and R-Z on my Classic Controller both be D-Pad Up? It'd be neat to have a similar control scheme for the original RE1 as you can have on RE1 Remake, RE2 and RE3 on GC.

Dude, what the hell? Ps1 is supposed to force everything to 4:3 NTSC anyways, basically 320x240 (Integer Scale, meaning 8 pixels at top and bottom gets ''cropped''.

SotN's main gameplay is 256x240 actually, not 224p, in fact, several consoles that allegedly play at 224p, actually scale it at 240p but with the 8x8 scanlines at top and bottom cropped by overscan, on hardware, NES and SNES did it like that.

Maeson

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Ps1 does not force anything to 4:3, your display (your crt back then for example) does that if we are talking about original hardware.

When people say 224 they are taking into account the 8 pixels on the top and bottom already. There's little point in having them and pretty much all emulator cut them out by default for a reason. And if you want to be that way, it's not 240 but 263 and varies between systems.

Pretty much all PS1 games actually use those 16 lines for "all" 240 to show while playing, Vandal Hearts, or Mega Man 8 are two examples.

What is not that common is what Castlevania does, which is cutting top and bottom by adding fake borders during gameplay for some reason, and I was wrong in one thing: those borders are so large that SOTN actually has less viewable area than 224 resolution games from prior generations, fortunately there's a romhack to remove them, it's named Quality hack and does other things to improve the game.

And there are games with lower resolution than 240. Rayman for example has a vertical resolution of 239 last time I checked, which is weird by itself, and the only other game I know to do that is Dragon Quest V on SNES.

And you have games like Mr Driller rocking a 384x480 resolution, pretty weird. Looking again, Abe's Oddysee is actually 384x240 too. There's a lot of variation in video format for this system.

Regardless, vertical resolution isn't what I was asking or even the point of this conversation, 224 or 240, it doesn't change anything.

Wiistation does what Snes9x GX, Fceum GX and their forks do, force screen ratio to 4:3 and stretch horizontally, but that's not an obligation or a "rule" because if you check things like Retroarch you can set them up to not stretch the picture and display what the game really outputs. That is just what I am asking, if there's a way to tweak that.

Lastly, it's nice you want to inform others but the tone you started with isn't necessary.

GustavoReis

GameCube and wii lover
Trophies
Website
mundowiihack.wordpress.com
XP
Country
Brazil
Big changes are coming

IMG_20231030_083049.jpg

Jokippo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Ps1 does not force anything to 4:3, your display (your crt back then for example) does that if we are talking about original hardware.

When people say 224 they are taking into account the 8 pixels on the top and bottom already. There's little point in having them and pretty much all emulator cut them out by default for a reason. And if you want to be that way, it's not 240 but 263 and varies between systems.

Pretty much all PS1 games actually use those 16 lines for "all" 240 to show while playing, Vandal Hearts, or Mega Man 8 are two examples.

What is not that common is what Castlevania does, which is cutting top and bottom by adding fake borders during gameplay for some reason, and I was wrong in one thing: those borders are so large that SOTN actually has less viewable area than 224 resolution games from prior generations, fortunately there's a romhack to remove them, it's named Quality hack and does other things to improve the game.

And there are games with lower resolution than 240. Rayman for example has a vertical resolution of 239 last time I checked, which is weird by itself, and the only other game I know to do that is Dragon Quest V on SNES.

And you have games like Mr Driller rocking a 384x480 resolution, pretty weird. Looking again, Abe's Oddysee is actually 384x240 too. There's a lot of variation in video format for this system.

Regardless, vertical resolution isn't what I was asking or even the point of this conversation, 224 or 240, it doesn't change anything.

Wiistation does what Snes9x GX, Fceum GX and their forks do, force screen ratio to 4:3 and stretch horizontally, but that's not an obligation or a "rule" because if you check things like Retroarch you can set them up to not stretch the picture and display what the game really outputs. That is just what I am asking, if there's a way to tweak that.

Lastly, it's nice you want to inform others but the tone you started with isn't necessary.
As far as I am aware all horizontal psx resolutions (256/320/512/640/368) are supposed to be stretched horizontally on a 4:3 display.

It would be possible to add borders around the image to force a certain aspect ratio.

I am not too interested in adding that myself since it would make the image look less like it does on a actual psx, which is how I prefer to play psx games. But It is true that some games may look more correct in a different aspect ratio if the artists weren't aware of the stretchy nature of CRT's.

Maeson

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
As far as I know 320x240 is the default resolution of the ps1, which is exactly 4:3 and is not stretched (at least not to the extent of 256x240, or even 248 on some NES games) and is why it looks much crisper than 256x240 as that one is stretched by the display or emulator.

640 and 512 are just double those two and in the case the result tends to be the same, at least in my experience. For 384 I have not much to say, I have not read about it enough.

My intention isn't going to start a discussion about which aspect ratio "should be used" because to me it's a matter of taste and anyone should use whatever they prefer, and there's more than enough examples for how developers could design games for both stretched and unstretched ratios.

I just wanted to know if there was an option in place already. And it's perfectly fine if you don't want to include it, don't feel forced to do so.

september796

Trophies
XP
Country
Cote d'Ivoire
Turns out that the input lag I mentioned a while ago regarding Wiistation is in fact inherent to vWii. The vWii by its own adds roughly 1 extra frame of lag, so naturally every piece of homebrew will be affected. (This is according to a YT video testing it),
Wii U users will notice that the Retroarch(wiiu) ps1 core seems a lot more responsive than Wiistation, even though Wiistation is better in every other aspect at the moment.

SaulFabre

I like Yoshis and the Wii/Wii U scene.
Trophies
Website
saulfabreg-wiivc.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Ecuador
We're still working in that. xjsxjs197 is now handling the theme of the new game database for the new "autoFixes" and emulator events from upstream PCSX-ReARMed and also from upstream WiiSX, and i'm merging some latest changes from CDROM and CDRISO, but by now it's unfinished and even some games that were working before stopped working? (ex. Star Wars: Episode I - The Phantom Menace)

EDIT: Oh, here we also merged the TRIPLE buffering from WiiSX. (haha, requested by @GustavoReis)

Also, recently we fixed the new GPU Busy hack from PCSX-ReARMed/WiiSX that wasn't working at all.

I'll also try to ask xjsxjs197 if he/she can do some work for merge the latest ICache emulation code. (EA Sports F1 2000, Xenogears, Formula One 2001, i'm looking at you!)

Jokippo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
As far as I know 320x240 is the default resolution of the ps1, which is exactly 4:3 and is not stretched (at least not to the extent of 256x240, or even 248 on some NES games) and is why it looks much crisper than 256x240 as that one is stretched by the display or emulator.

640 and 512 are just double those two and in the case the result tends to be the same, at least in my experience. For 384 I have not much to say, I have not read about it enough.

My intention isn't going to start a discussion about which aspect ratio "should be used" because to me it's a matter of taste and anyone should use whatever they prefer, and there's more than enough examples for how developers could design games for both stretched and unstretched ratios.

I just wanted to know if there was an option in place already. And it's perfectly fine if you don't want to include it, don't feel forced to do so.
Yes I see how that could be a problem for upscalers.

At least on a high end upscaler you could setup a custom aspect ratio I think. If the pixel edges are blurry even in that instance then it could be that the Wii isn't scaling correctly, but I can't test this myself as I only have a CRT.

Maeson

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Yes I see how that could be a problem for upscalers.

At least on a high end upscaler you could setup a custom aspect ratio I think. If the pixel edges are blurry even in that instance then it could be that the Wii isn't scaling correctly, but I can't test this myself as I only have a CRT.

The way CRTs and modern displays, upscaler or not is too different and make results be very dispare.

CRTs do not scale, they're analogue so they just show and adjust to its screen, modern displays act in a different way and I am the first to always say that they've always have done an awful job at upscaling lower resolution content, which is why we need upscalers to get decent results, and the price on the more high-end can be eye-popping, and that's if you live in a country where you can get one of those shipped to you... If you get lucky and they're not out of stock.

Regardless, here are two direct screenshots from my Wii. In one, the game is played at 256x240, the internal resolution of the game while during gameplay using the experimental PS1 core in official RetroArch (which loves to crash), the other is on Wiistation (which plays SOTN really nice) at I suppose stretched to 320x240 so it becomes 4:3 like your usual PS1 game:

IPC_2023-10-30.18.19.06.5970.jpg

IPC_2023-10-30.18.15.46.4930.jpg

Have in mind that my capture card is far away from the great (and expensive) ones, This is my system connected to to an OSSC.

The more you look at, the more sharpness difference you can see, although SOTN isn't by far the worst example we can have. You can also notice how the spherical object at the bottom of the stairs gets more oval-like on 4:3. The biggest loser on these changes in ratio is always the text or small UI elements for me, specially on 384 modes (like the main/memory card menus on SOTN) it gets so much blurrier and thus so much more eye strain-inducing...

...Which I guess is my entire point, now that I think about it. Me asking was not for pursuing some elitist mentality but merely that the blurring up caused by stretching causes eye-strain which can derive in other things, just like the removal of the Bilinear filter was such a massive change for quite a few of us and I will repeat, THANK YOU for giving us the option to disable it.

I don't know how much upscalers and profiles could do to improve it, as the picture has been already altered before you try and mess with their settings, but unstretching an stretched picture doesn't sound like a great solution. I could try but I don't know if the OSSC lets you change the aspect ratio in that way.

...Sorry for the rant, lol.

Jokippo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
The way CRTs and modern displays, upscaler or not is too different and make results be very dispare.

CRTs do not scale, they're analogue so they just show and adjust to its screen, modern displays act in a different way and I am the first to always say that they've always have done an awful job at upscaling lower resolution content, which is why we need upscalers to get decent results, and the price on the more high-end can be eye-popping, and that's if you live in a country where you can get one of those shipped to you... If you get lucky and they're not out of stock.

Regardless, here are two direct screenshots from my Wii. In one, the game is played at 256x240, the internal resolution of the game while during gameplay using the experimental PS1 core in official RetroArch (which loves to crash), the other is on Wiistation (which plays SOTN really nice) at I suppose stretched to 320x240 so it becomes 4:3 like your usual PS1 game:

Have in mind that my capture card is far away from the great (and expensive) ones, This is my system connected to to an OSSC.

The more you look at, the more sharpness difference you can see, although SOTN isn't by far the worst example we can have. You can also notice how the spherical object at the bottom of the stairs gets more oval-like on 4:3. The biggest loser on these changes in ratio is always the text or small UI elements for me, specially on 384 modes (like the main/memory card menus on SOTN) it gets so much blurrier and thus so much more eye strain-inducing...

...Which I guess is my entire point, now that I think about it. Me asking was not for pursuing some elitist mentality but merely that the blurring up caused by stretching causes eye-strain which can derive in other things, just like the removal of the Bilinear filter was such a massive change for quite a few of us and I will repeat, THANK YOU for giving us the option to disable it.

I don't know how much upscalers and profiles could do to improve it, as the picture has been already altered before you try and mess with their settings, but unstretching an stretched picture doesn't sound like a great solution. I could try but I don't know if the OSSC lets you change the aspect ratio in that way.

...Sorry for the rant, lol.
Thanks for the screenshots, yes there is definite horizontal blur. To confirm whether of not that comes from the Wii or OSSC, can you set the OSSC to 1:1 PAR mode and post a screenshot?

Maeson

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Thanks for the screenshots, yes there is definite horizontal blur. To confirm whether of not that comes from the Wii or OSSC, can you set the OSSC to 1:1 PAR mode and post a screenshot?

On the output menu, it's already 1:1 PAR set on the shots I made, but that's related to 256x240.

I will keep trying stuff on the OSSC regardless, maybe my profile is doing things worse, but this behavior of 4:3 blurrying things happens in every emulator I tried on the WIi, not just WiiSX, and the 240p mode of the WIi does not change when trying different aspect ratios, it just stretches the game's picture as if you were stretching an image on an image editor.

But let's leave at that, I don't want to bother you any more.

xunga

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Does anyone know what the deal with SpongeBob SuperSponge is when it comes to saves?

No matter how many times I save my data, the game for some reason is not detecting it. It show as if no data even exists. The same problem also happens on PopStarter for PS2.

Does this game has some form of AP?
Same problem as with Jade Cocoon, in Wiistation it doesn't save or load game but in WiiSX beta 4.0 it works correctly.

Reactions: _47iscool

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0UeJincEpEM