Homebrew Homebrew app [WIP] DRController : use UsendMii Client with Linux

Mininux

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
UsendMii by Crayon2000 is an app that allows to use the WiiU Gamepad on a computer, but it only works with Windows and macOS (and the server part is not open source). So I created a simple server in python to achieve this on Linux, using the python-libevdev library to emulate a controller. For the moment, it works only with the Homebrew client (not with the web browser), it can only emulate a controller (no keyboard or mouse inputs) and to change the button mappings you have to edit the code. I'm working on a more complete and clean solution using C++ and Qt but it'll take some time. edit : i'm having too much issues with it and with school coming i won't have the time, i may try again later

To use it, first install python-libevdev :
Code:
$ sudo apt install python3-libevdev   # on Debian
$ sudo pacman -S python-libevdev  # on Arch Linux
Or you can use pip :
Code:
pip install -U libevdev  # other distros

Then you have to get the permissions to create a virtual controller, on my system i just had to add my user to the uinput group (it may depend your distro). Or, you could run the script as root (i.e. with sudo)

Also you have to load the uinput module each time before starting the server (or add it to the auto loaded modules) :
Code:
$ sudo modprobe uinput

Now on the wiiu open UsendMii Client, put in the ip adress of your computer, start the script and it should work !

Warning
For the moment, this tool accepts any connection on its port, so only run this on your private network since anyone on the same network will be able to control the virtual controller.

PS : the name of this project was inspired by ctroller (by phijor), a tool that does a similar thing but with the 3ds

Attachments

• drcontroller.py.zip
    1.6 KB · Views: 134
Last edited by Mininux,

lorhof1

Trophies
XP
Country
Switzerland
hey, i'd like to ask if you'd be willing to license dtrcontroller under an open source license as I'm currently looking into writing a decky plugin acting as a wrapper for dtrcontroller and an open source licensing would allow me to ship your work with the plugin. Thank you for reading this and for dtrcontroller

Reactions: Mininux

Mininux

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
hey, i'd like to ask if you'd be willing to license dtrcontroller under an open source license as I'm currently looking into writing a decky plugin acting as a wrapper for dtrcontroller and an open source licensing would allow me to ship your work with the plugin. Thank you for reading this and for dtrcontroller
Wow i had completely forgotten about this project lol

It seems I forgot to specify a license, do whatever you want with it tbh, so it's gonna be MIT-0 I guess:

"Permission is hereby granted, free of charge, to any person obtaining a copy of this software and associated documentation files (the "Software"), to deal in the Software without restriction, including without limitation the rights to use, copy, modify, merge, publish, distribute, sublicense, and/or sell copies of the Software, and to permit persons to whom the Software is furnished to do so.

THE SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED "AS IS", WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND NONINFRINGEMENT. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE AUTHORS OR COPYRIGHT HOLDERS BE LIABLE FOR ANY CLAIM, DAMAGES OR OTHER LIABILITY, WHETHER IN AN ACTION OF CONTRACT, TORT OR OTHERWISE, ARISING FROM, OUT OF OR IN CONNECTION WITH THE SOFTWARE OR THE USE OR OTHER DEALINGS IN THE SOFTWARE."

Also i never heard about decky, i'm noting it somewhere for the day i get a steam deck. And happy to hear this script I made when i had no idea what i was doing may be useful :)
Post automatically merged:

Not working for me
Sorry for not answering earlier, i was completely out of gbatemp for a while. Seeing how long it's been since i touched this i don't know if i'll be able to help. Nevertheless it would help if you could provide the logs/what happened, maybe i'll look into it

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: https://i.imgur.com/oaTJ4lx.jpg