Gaming All this ban talk, this is just terrible timing.

Gaisuto

Lose 2 Levels.
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I think that storm we had earlier today fried my 360's ethernet port, it's not receiving any data anymore. I've checked the router, it's showing the lights meaning it's sending data. I checked my laptop to be sure, it's got the lights. I check the back of my 360, no lights. I've tried switching the port it's connect to on the router, I've changed the cable used for it, it's just not connecting. There isn't a way to fix the Ethernet port somehow is there? I'm not getting the Wireless Adapter either, it's just not an option I can afford.

Gaisuto

Lose 2 Levels.
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Yep. No go.
*Edit: ....It just decided to work. I switched the cables the first time and it didn't work. I tried it with a different set of cables and it worked this time. I guess I had two shot cables, go figure. Phew.
biggrin.gif

mpg187

Trophies
Website
operation420.net
XP
Country
Canada
Gaisuto said:
I'm not getting the Wireless Adapter either, it's just not an option I can afford.
Doesn't that plug into the ethernet port anyways?

I have one but it works with everything, not just XBox and it has 4 ports not just one.

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
mpg187 said:
Gaisuto said:
I'm not getting the Wireless Adapter either, it's just not an option I can afford.

I have one but it works with everything, not just XBox and it has 4 ports not just one.
the wireless adapter goes into the USB port

mpg187

Trophies
Website
operation420.net
XP
Country
Canada
Joe88 said:
mpg187 said:
Gaisuto said:

the wireless adapter goes into the USB port
Oh, does the one for the original Xbox go into the ethernet?

You can't use any USB One? M$ shouldn't be allowed to make you use theirs, same for the hard drive. Anti trust.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
As far as I am aware there is no wireless for the original xbox.

There is however the wireless bridge option which is does go into the ethernet port (the 360's wireless adapter is a distinct piece of hardware that 360 sees while the xbox should not know it is using a wireless bridge).

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Wireless bridge: if you will excuse the term is more or less a "wireless wire".
It can work on the 360 as for all intents and purposes it is a normal network cable that is to say it is not hardware specific; anything that can use a network cable can use one of these (although I would not employ one for anything mission critical or demanding speed).

360 wireless: this is a USB device specifically made for/tweaked for/tied to the 360 with the price tag you probably expect.

The 360 also has a standard network port built in.

If we are going down this route perhaps ethernet over powerline might also be something you want to read: you seem reluctant to run cable which is fair enough, you should know though that your house already has cable running all over it.
Might be worth checking with your neighbours though as it does tend to kill shortwave and HAM operators tend not to take kindly to that (there is little legal recourse on their part but it tends to come under the "don't be a dick" side of things rather than the law).

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
There's also the "new" 360 WiFi device coming out, intended to support N-class WiFi, up to 6 times the speed and with a suitable price increase.

Really, M$ should just release an update to make any USB WiFi work, rather than charging stupid prices for an underwhelming WiFi solution. The wireless bridge might work well, but that's an extra network hub/router/bridge that you'll have to use, and keep constantly plugged in, and that will still only be able to use the 10/100Mbs speed of the ethernet port.

Some Powerline Ethernet adaptors support different phasing for their signals in an attempt not to interfere with other devices running through the powerlines, however there's no way to be sure how well it works until you try it. I have a friend that makes use of it very well, and his connection speeds turn out higher than mine on WiFi only a yard away from the router.

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
the new one is the same price of the current one, but they dropped the price of the old one...
by a whole $20
tongue.gif

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
Really? I heard they were raising the price of it by around £40ish here. Then again, until they actually release it, it's mostly speculation.

There's a rumour floating around that M$ can't make it work efficiently enough to be N-classed. Something about it only achieving around 100Mbs instead of the average 240Mbs (300Mbs is the ideal but it's never been obtained).

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
here the adapter costs $100 (regular)
the new one will also cost $100 and the old one will be $80 after the release

still a rip off

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I'm late for the bbq sauce discussion and I have opinions
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    Sweet Baby Rays is like baseline for a decent/good bbq sauce, but nothing outright incredible
    +1
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    Stubbs is a pretty damn good sauce that I think you'll find on most grocery shelves as I don't think it's regional
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    This shit though
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    Best bbq sauce I've ever bought on a grocery store shelf
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    smokey flavor that reminds me of beef jerkey on top of a really rich kind of bbq sauce. Heat level that is a nice zing, not overwhelming, but it tingles all the way down your throat
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    50% closer to getting my teeth fixed
    +4
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'm at the grace gods of my insurance fucking me over
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I was like is this the way out, oh probably there's a giant exit sign
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    We all should have free health, dental, vision care, and make the college kids pay for the schooling, f that college forgiveness plan our govt doing now, its really not fair for all others in the past that had to pay for they're schooling anyways (like me, with 2 kids I paid to send to college in the past)
  • mthrnite @ mthrnite:
    whynotboth.jpg
    +2
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    True, very true
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I think we should outlaw healthcare entirely because the fact that people can get healthcare today is unfair to those in the past that couldn't
    +2
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Lol
  • mthrnite tempBOT: @ mthrnite
    smacks Sicklyboy around a bit with a large leech
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    Howdy @mthrnite , great to see you :D
  • mthrnite @ mthrnite:
    hola mi hermano
  • cearp @ cearp:
    @Sicklyboy - the comparison would be forgiving all medical debt, not making healthcare illegal!
  • cearp @ cearp:
    Although I still don't agree, medical debt is rarely a choice, whereas enrolling in university is certainly a choice
  • mthrnite @ mthrnite:
    we need more smart cats tho for reals
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    College costs, college loans, book prices, the entire thing is predatory, oft touted as essential to a successful life for my generation and the ones since, and completely unaffordable without putting you through an insane financial hardship for literal decades in many situations.
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    Many of the same issues can be seen for the insanely predatory healthcare and health insurance system in the US
  • mthrnite @ mthrnite:
    ^this
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    It's important for society to be healthy and educated. If those things can't happen because all of the institutions that prop up those industries make it unattainable for all but a small portion of society, then your society is largely going to be disease ridden, dying, and uneducated in very short order.
    Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy: It's important for society to be healthy and educated. If those things can't happen because all...