Evil Dead Regeneration HD Texture Pack - Font Question

Spider_Man

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi all,

I think im going to start creating a HD Texture Pack for Evil Dead Regeneration, but I need to find out what font was used for the games text (not the Evil Dead font as I already have this).

95b561c4ba2b2db4-c6ed60f81d97a5-00001e13.png

I have tried to match the font best I can without knowing the exact font used, but it overlaps where some characters are wider than the original.

95b561c4ba2b2db4-c6ed60f81d97a5-00001e13.png

Also until my drawing tablet arrives, does anyone know of any good (free) graphic tools (Windows 10) that have nice pencils that automatically smoothen your lines, because trying to free hand draw textures isn't the same with a mouse and I am using GIMP at the moment and its pencil always seems to draw very faintly pixel by pixel and doesn't seem to look like it would if you drew outlines freehand.

Thanks

Reactions: mvp899

CCKrizalid

Angry Russian dude?
Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
Maybe you'll change your mind if you find out that I've already made a pack for this game, although if you still want to make another one using a different model, then good luck.

Update: sorry. I didn't notice that you mean manual work with textures. Then my comment doesn't make sense. After all, I just made an upscale and nothing more.

Spider_Man

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi

Thanks for the reply, I have just found your texture pack and had a quick look at the YouTube video.

I see you've pretty much taken the base textures and possibly increased its dimensions applying filters to try smoothen out its pixels then applying sharpening filters to give it a crisp look.

Did you fully complete this by the way, dumped every single texture within the game and edited them?

If so, may I ask (if there's no difference in region texture file names) if it is ok then to use your textures as reference.

Because I dont plan on using the games base textures and applying filters or increasing texture dimensions.

The purpose I have is that I will be manually re drawing every single texture myself by hand.

My HD texture pack is going to be 100% different from the original game and if there are no differences in the texture filenames between different regions, then it would help speed things up.

If I can use your texture pack as reference for what the texture is and what its called. I then can just dedicate my time on re drawing them all rather then having to keep stopping and starting, playing the game to dump more textures as I go on.

One pain in the ass I face is not only am I going crazy with memory loss, I used to have all of my graphic programs and other HD texture mods on a USB drive which packed in a few years ago.

Never got round to making sure I had it all stored on my server as a backup so its all gone ta da.

Then been hit with cancer I think all of the different types of chemo treatments and stem cell transplants have melted my brain and I can forget things so easily these days.

Such as the tools I used to have is like a brain fart trying to remember and to say I used to be a graphic artist creating adverts for clients to print in magazines and now I look at Adobe and I feel like a fresh 17 year old just out of school looking at it again for the very first time.

So this is going to be a new learning curve for me as I try remember good programs to use or had used in the past and how to use them again.

One thing I havent forgotten is how to draw by hand, that shit must be printed in my dna though fuck knows who I get if from because no one in my family can draw for shit, nor make models by hand or play instruments.

So I am also left crippled but at least alive and no chance of me getting my old job back as a web/graphic designer even if I wasn't a cripple, im stuck house bound and want something else to do other than sit playing games.

So thought earlier today, why not try get back into the swing of doing graphic stuff, had just started playing Evil Dead Regeneration on my Steam Deck using PCSX2 and never completed this game.

But always thought it was a good game, well tbf the PS2 has so many great game and looking at them now, its funny because back then I never noticed how poor PS2 games looked, how game textures looked like very poor low resolution gif images, all faint colored and pixilated.

Anyways blah blah blah, I need to decide which style I should go for with my HD re texture pack.

As this game kinda has a cartoonish feel with Ash looking like from a comic, do I also go for a cartoonish texture style.

Or as the game also kind of has a slight realistic texture style, should I put a hold and try figure out what tools can be used to take photo like images and see what could merge layers into a final texture making it look like its a 3d texture like games use these days.

Problem is the layers would need to be baked because the PS2 and consoles back then didn't handle the layers created like games do today to give a texture its 3d look, obviously the textures won't be able to change lighting ect when looking at it from a different angle.

But kinda like if any application could marge them into one final texture which gave a 3d like feel which can still look pretty good, I still enjoy playing Doom 3 and that game and Ridding was epic on the xbox og.

Reminds me actually, I should also hunt down solution to get these two working on my Steam Deck..... yup, I keep on forgetting lol.

SomberShroud

Trophies
Website
hifi4everyone.neocities.org
XP
Country
United States
Hi

Thanks for the reply, I have just found your texture pack and had a quick look at the YouTube video.

I see you've pretty much taken the base textures and possibly increased its dimensions applying filters to try smoothen out its pixels then applying sharpening filters to give it a crisp look.

Did you fully complete this by the way, dumped every single texture within the game and edited them?

If so, may I ask (if there's no difference in region texture file names) if it is ok then to use your textures as reference.

Because I dont plan on using the games base textures and applying filters or increasing texture dimensions.

The purpose I have is that I will be manually re drawing every single texture myself by hand.

My HD texture pack is going to be 100% different from the original game and if there are no differences in the texture filenames between different regions, then it would help speed things up.

If I can use your texture pack as reference for what the texture is and what its called. I then can just dedicate my time on re drawing them all rather then having to keep stopping and starting, playing the game to dump more textures as I go on.

One pain in the ass I face is not only am I going crazy with memory loss, I used to have all of my graphic programs and other HD texture mods on a USB drive which packed in a few years ago.

Never got round to making sure I had it all stored on my server as a backup so its all gone ta da.

Then been hit with cancer I think all of the different types of chemo treatments and stem cell transplants have melted my brain and I can forget things so easily these days.

Such as the tools I used to have is like a brain fart trying to remember and to say I used to be a graphic artist creating adverts for clients to print in magazines and now I look at Adobe and I feel like a fresh 17 year old just out of school looking at it again for the very first time.

So this is going to be a new learning curve for me as I try remember good programs to use or had used in the past and how to use them again.

One thing I havent forgotten is how to draw by hand, that shit must be printed in my dna though fuck knows who I get if from because no one in my family can draw for shit, nor make models by hand or play instruments.

So I am also left crippled but at least alive and no chance of me getting my old job back as a web/graphic designer even if I wasn't a cripple, im stuck house bound and want something else to do other than sit playing games.

So thought earlier today, why not try get back into the swing of doing graphic stuff, had just started playing Evil Dead Regeneration on my Steam Deck using PCSX2 and never completed this game.

But always thought it was a good game, well tbf the PS2 has so many great game and looking at them now, its funny because back then I never noticed how poor PS2 games looked, how game textures looked like very poor low resolution gif images, all faint colored and pixilated.

Anyways blah blah blah, I need to decide which style I should go for with my HD re texture pack.

As this game kinda has a cartoonish feel with Ash looking like from a comic, do I also go for a cartoonish texture style.

Or as the game also kind of has a slight realistic texture style, should I put a hold and try figure out what tools can be used to take photo like images and see what could merge layers into a final texture making it look like its a 3d texture like games use these days.

Problem is the layers would need to be baked because the PS2 and consoles back then didn't handle the layers created like games do today to give a texture its 3d look, obviously the textures won't be able to change lighting ect when looking at it from a different angle.

But kinda like if any application could marge them into one final texture which gave a 3d like feel which can still look pretty good, I still enjoy playing Doom 3 and that game and Ridding was epic on the xbox og.

Reminds me actually, I should also hunt down solution to get these two working on my Steam Deck..... yup, I keep on forgetting lol.
You have a good taste in art I see. I made a tutorial on almost everything you need to know about upscaling with PCSX2 here if you're interested https://sites.google.com/view/pcsx2-hd-textures-project/tutorial

Reactions: Spider_Man

CCKrizalid

Angry Russian dude?
Trophies
XP
Country
Russia

Yes, I collected all dumps that I could find. But I didn't do any manual work on them. I just used another upscale model, to made some changes to give a greater look to comic style.

And I really don't mind if you're going to use my texture packs for any of games to improve and make any changes. But I would really appreciate it if you would include download links to my packs in description of your work or a link to my Youtube channel.

Reactions: Spider_Man

Spider_Man

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes, I collected all dumps that I could find. But I didn't do any manual work on them. I just used another upscale model, to made some changes to give a greater look to comic style.

And I really don't mind if you're going to use my texture packs for any of games to improve and make any changes. But I would really appreciate it if you would include download links to my packs in description of your work or a link to my Youtube channel.
No problem, I am happy to add alternative texture pack links in any of the games I look at re creating its textures.

Not to sound mean or anything, but when you see users posting "HD TEXTURE PACKS" and all there doing is taking the original texture then increasing its dimensions and adding filters, to me isn't exactly doing anything that the emulator isn't doing when settings its output resolution higher than the PS2s Native resolution.

The emulator already comes with other graphic options to try improve its base textures.

I have always considered when making "HD TEXTURE PACKS" that you actually re-create the default texture with ones that are higher DPI resolution. I used to make texture packs with PJ64 many years ago, but never had the patience to fully complete re-texturing a game.

Now due to my health issues, I am unable to work and pretty much house bound all of the time which is very depressing when I used to have an excellent job getting paid to do what I loved doing, graphics and websites.

So figured why not do something with all of my spare time and get back into doing graphic work making some of my favourite PS2 games look better with actual HD Textures.

I cant wait for my tablet to arrive, lets hope there's some great graphic apps for free, because I cant work, I have no money coming in. So I plan on adding the tablet as an external display for drawing or ftp all the textures over to the tablet and use a free app to re draw all the textures.

I will definitely add you into the Read Me document and link to your YouTube channel.

I haven't set up anything like YouTube and to be fair not really a fan of social media like sites.

I am still trying to recall the graphic tools I used to use many years ago to take a flat texture and it would add pretty good bump map layers to make the texture look 3D pre rendered.

I have tried using GIMP, but it doesn't look that good and other sites give good results but you can only preview the texture on a 3D Orb or Cube and don't give an option to merge all of its layers into one and save it as one image.

Moataz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Saudi Arabia
Maybe you'll change your mind if you find out that I've already made a pack for this game, although if you still want to make another one using a different model, then good luck.

Update: sorry. I didn't notice that you mean manual work with textures. Then my comment doesn't make sense. After all, I just made an upscale and nothing more.
u mean a pack with trash model ultra sharp who makes the game shit

Spider_Man

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you don't like it, just don't use it. That's all. Or make new one. Your will be better...right?
eye, was a rather harsh comment, if its not to your likening then don't comment/use, free to make their own if they think bad of it.

Personally I don't see the point when users in here and other places are claiming they've made a HD texture pack, when all they've done is taken the default base textures and increased its dimensions and added filters to blur out the pixels.

The texture will still remain the same resolution regardless if they change it from say 72dpi to 300, the resolution increase will only apply to what you add to it (copy/pasting images will only paste as the image source resolution).

So for example how I am doing this HD texture pack is that I aim to personally re create every single texture, starting off with each texture as 300dpi, then re drawn (using the base textures as reference only) or replace the texture with one that is of better quality.

I'm just finding it hard at the moment due to my tablet STILL not arriving yet and I find it much harder trying to draw with a mouse.

I think I'm going to try keep to its original art style where it looks somewhat realistic but also cartoonish.

Distilled_Spirit

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Israel
You keep saying this line "Personally I don't see the point when users in here and other places are claiming they've made a HD texture pack, when all they've done is taken the default base textures and increased its dimensions and added filters to blur out the pixels." and not even a single pack you made. Retexturing the whole game cannot be done by a single person. It easy to say but the whole process endeed it's another level. Before you commit those words show us first what you can do. It's degrading to this modders claiming such a bold words but endeed you don't have proof for that. Just an excuse that your tablet is not around.

Also, what do you called those games that has been remastered by the game developer itself like the final fantasy series that I do believe that falls in to what you keep saying about HD textures?

Last edited by Distilled_Spirit,
Reactions: CCKrizalid

CCKrizalid

Angry Russian dude?
Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
By the way, I don't write HD remaster, or HD textures anywhere in my texture packs...all I write is upscale texture pack. So there shouldn't be any claims against me.

I do not sell my work, (Unlike Capcom with their lousy Devil May Cry HD Collection. The only advantage of which is porting the first and second parts to PC. So all they did was port from Play Station 3 to PC and did the same texture upscaling. You don't think they hand-drew them, do you? Because if they did, why does my upscale look better than their work?) they are in public domain absolutely free and absolutely anyone can go and download that packs. Well, or not download. It's everyone's personal business. But for some reason, that guy above, has some claims...well, of course, this is his problem, not mine, but still sometimes it's little offended to read that kind of comments.

After all, these packs I basically did for myself, and put in public domain in case someone else suddenly interested. But from where then come out of nowhere such individuals as in this case and try to accuse me of something. What is it? Are you jealous? That I did such a simple job as upscaling and get praise for it? Did it ever occur to you that I get praise simply for sharing what I have with people?

I simply could have done it and kept quiet. Or do that and then show screenshots, brag that I have it and do nothing else, like a real internet troll. But I didn't. So what's the complaint?

Don't like it, don't use it. Find a better one or make your own. It's obvious! What's the problem?

Spider_Man

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You keep saying this line "Personally I don't see the point when users in here and other places are claiming they've made a HD texture pack, when all they've done is taken the default base textures and increased its dimensions and added filters to blur out the pixels." and not even a single pack you made. Retexturing the whole game cannot be done by a single person. It easy to say but the whole process endeed it's another level. Before you commit those words show us first what you can do. It's degrading to this modders claiming such a bold words but endeed you don't have proof for that. Just an excuse that your tablet is not around.

Also, what do you called those games that has been remastered by the game developer itself like the final fantasy series that I do believe that falls in to what you keep saying about HD textures?
LMFAO, keyboard warrior be silent, don't get all pissy for me pointing out that these so called HD texture packs are nothing but increasing an image dimension, just what your emulator is doing when scaling to higher resolutions like 4K.

Just because you haven't seen any of my work, I've done loads of HD texture packs over the years, like PJ64, but lost them all when the external drive packed in.

Since then I moved to other things as many people do, just because you haven't seen any of my past work, doesn't mean its not possible.

This game will be fully re textured by myself, yes a one man band and it isn't impossible.

As for FF series, I've never said anything about these games, so no idea what crap your ranting on about, in terms of other so called HD remasters, then yes, devs do next to nothing to these games, simply port them over and have its output resolution set higher than its original version on the previous console.

Care to take Resident Evil 4 and many other so called HD remasters (no, do not confuse this with the fan project that had actually created a full HD remaster), they look exactly the same as its original, just like when you emulate it.

As for my tablet, what excuse is it I am trying to claim here exactly that you have made up and have some issue over, common sense if you had any skills, its far easier and faster to hand draw than it is to use a mouse.

For someone to come shouting their mouth off like you just have, I'd love to see any work you have done, I bet you haven't contributed anything, just a bored little keyboard warrior that felt the need to call someone out because you have no one else to entertain you maybe?

Anyway, just to shut your gob bitching, here is one example of where I have fully re created a texture image, so it is ACTUALLY going to be an HD retexture pack, not a crappy resized base texture that's been filtered.

And finally, I am not going to upload images in dribs and drabs, I'd rather save the uploading until I feel enough has been completed before sharing it.

Base Texture:

Screen 1 Before.png

My Texture:

Screen 1 After.png

Now be quiet and give your fingers a rest, no one owes you anything so stop acting like they do and must stop what they're doing just to prove you wrong.

Updates will be added as and when I feel like it.

And just as @CCKrizalid puts it, I also am not doing this for profit or for anyone else. As I am having to adapt my life to being disabled and pretty much house bound since having cancer, I figured why not distract my mind from been bored stuck unable to do much.

As previously been employed as a web/graphic designer which I a miss a lot, why not dump textures when emulating PS2 games and if I get bored I can pass time re texturing my games.

So this project is for personal use and decided to share when I progress with it, so that users can have the option to have an actual HD texture pack.

Last edited by Spider_Man,

Distilled_Spirit

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Israel
LMFAO, keyboard warrior be silent, don't get all pissy for me pointing out that these so called HD texture packs are nothing but increasing an image dimension, just what your emulator is doing when scaling to higher resolutions like 4K.

Just because you haven't seen any of my work, I've done loads of HD texture packs over the years, like PJ64, but lost them all when the external drive packed in.

Since then I moved to other things as many people do, just because you haven't seen any of my past work, doesn't mean its not possible.

This game will be fully re textured by myself, yes a one man band and it isn't impossible.

As for FF series, I've never said anything about these games, so no idea what crap your ranting on about, in terms of other so called HD remasters, then yes, devs do next to nothing to these games, simply port them over and have its output resolution set higher than its original version on the previous console.

Care to take Resident Evil 4 and many other so called HD remasters (no, do not confuse this with the fan project that had actually created a full HD remaster), they look exactly the same as its original, just like when you emulate it.

As for my tablet, what excuse is it I am trying to claim here exactly that you have made up and have some issue over, common sense if you had any skills, its far easier and faster to hand draw than it is to use a mouse.

For someone to come shouting their mouth off like you just have, I'd love to see any work you have done, I bet you haven't contributed anything, just a bored little keyboard warrior that felt the need to call someone out because you have no one else to entertain you maybe?

Anyway, just to shut your gob bitching, here is one example of where I have fully re created a texture image, so it is ACTUALLY going to be an HD retexture pack, not a crappy resized base texture that's been filtered.

And finally, I am not going to upload images in dribs and drabs, I'd rather save the uploading until I feel enough has been completed before sharing it.

Base Texture:

View attachment 431938

My Texture:

View attachment 431937

Now be quiet and give your fingers a rest, no one owes you anything so stop acting like they do and must stop what they're doing just to prove you wrong.

Updates will be added as and when I feel like it.

And just as @CCKrizalid puts it, I also am not doing this for profit or for anyone else. As I am having to adapt my life to being disabled and pretty much house bound since having cancer, I figured why not distract my mind from been bored stuck unable to do much.

As previously been employed as a web/graphic designer which I a miss a lot, why not dump textures when emulating PS2 games and if I get bored I can pass time re texturing my games.

So this project is for personal use and decided to share when I progress with it, so that users can have the option to have an actual HD texture pack.
LOL!!!! It,s just the same from all of us here..are you blind? Even the text it's not the same as the source and it is called REGENERATED your not being true to the source.

Spider_Man

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
LOL!!!! It,s just the same from all of us here..are you blind? Even the text it's not the same as the source and it is called REGENERATED your not being true to the source.
Lol stupid much or what?

REGENERATION / RENERATATED has the same meaning, so here's a little English lesson for you. If someone is REGENERATING something (the games textures) and when its complete, you'd say you've REGENERATED it - hence having a texture remake, the game is REGENERATED.

So considering the game is called Regeneration, its just a play of the word, as it has had its textures REGENERATED, hence its name.

I mean come on lad, that should have come as common sense and shouldn't have needed an explanation.

Like Disney's Epic Mickey Mouse, re release as Disney's Epic Mickey Mouse Rebrushed, and ill take FF as you brought it up, Crisis Core Final Fantasy VII re release as Crisis Core Final Fantasy VIi Reunion.

Its a common thing if a game gets a remaster that they change its name slightly, but keeping it with the same meaning, others just slap HD Remaster on or Remaster.

But you're desperately grasping at straws here, trying to find anything to bitch about because you have nothing better to do, just like in your first post, you cant sit there and be a good boy, you had to comment back and make yourself stupid to point out a REMADE TEXTURE is DIFFERENT to its original.

This is nothing like here, (for some of the packs) that just take the base texture and increase its size, that isn't doing anything as already put above.

For one to say are you BLIND, you completely failed to see the background image of thr cabin is completely different, its a new and better quality image (notice base textures tree to the left).

As for the text not been the same, well OMFG you really are special aren't you, nothing about this texture pack is going to be the same.

Its all going to be completely NEW textures and as for keeping true to the source, as my initial post, I asked if anyone may know the name of the font that the game uses.

So, other than been an idiot that fails to grasp anything about a REMAKE, and has anything VALID to add about this post other than been a trollop, DO YOU KNOW THE ORIGINAL FONT NAME THATS USED IN THIS GAME?

If not, the STFU, no one cares about your childish desperation for attention. The font has been matched to one that is similar and is better quality.

If you have nothing valid to add to this post, then shut up, no one cares about your drama, this thread is asking if anyone knows the font name so I can stay "true" to the source you fool.

Distilled_Spirit

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Israel
Dude your misleading.. You come here to this group and claiming all the modders here saying "Personally I don't see the point when users in here and other places are claiming they've made a HD texture pack, when all they've done is taken the default base textures and increased its dimensions and added filters to blur out the pixels.". Your word retexturing I don't see it, Your uploaded image is just a photo from the introductory of game, anyone can do that thing. You haven't proved anything yet. I rather say Sad Origami defined the word "RETEXTURING". Even sadorigami having a hard time finishing his work. Well good luck to your project.

My issues to you fool! Don't downgrade the work of other modders here. You have done nothing yet. With those words of yours, you just killed the hope of those persons starting making their own pack that what is this group is all about. Even in this group your asking for help.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

Group statistics

Members:
Threads: