MisterFPGA has been updated to include an official release for its Nintendo 64 core

misterfpga.png

The highly popular and accurate FPGA hardware, MisterFGPA, has received today a brand new update with a long-awaited feature, or rather, a new core for hardcore players to enjoy, with the N64 core.

For the unaware, an FPGA stands for Field Programmable Gate Arrays, which in layman's terms means that the hardware is made up of a wide variety of "arrays" that allow the programmer to modify the way in which the hardware itself works, basically reconfiguring the hardware to achieve or meet certain requirements, and in some cases, to mimic other hardware, which in the case of the MisterFPGA, it mimics the original hardware of several video game consoles through "cores", which are developed by many contributors and cover a wide range of consoles, like the older Intellivision or Atari consoles, all the way up to the 5th generation of consoles, which include the original PlayStation, and now with the latest update, the Nintendo 64 as well. All of this with compatibility with several controllers as well as clean HDMI output and several other features.

The main objective of the MisterFPGA is to recreate the original consoles hardware configurations through its FPGA to run games for the available consoles, since it is basically reconfiguring the FPGA's hardware to that of the original console's hardware and how it behaved, allowing for the most accurate way to experience either original and officially released games for the consoles, or even newer homebrew titles developed for them or romhacks as well. Not only that, but the MisterFPGA has proven to be a resourceful tool for those that want their homebrew games or romhacks to be compatible with real hardware.

People who already have their hands on a MisterFPGA can run the updater to download the newly added Nintendo 64 core and start playing their N64 library.

:arrow: MisterFPGA GitHub page

fvig2001

Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
For people out of the loop, this is hardware level emulation. The core aims to replicate the N64 on hardware level. It's aim is to be like the N64 in terms of output and performance with 0 latency (via SNAC connection to real controllers). If you want pretty, stick to software emulators.

N64 development is stopped. Robert has decided to not continue anymore due to reaching basically the limits of the DE10 nano. So N64 is mostly working well but some games have random crashes, glitches. So those looking to use a MiSTerFPGA to fully replace an N64 are out of luck, which is a shame since the N64 core has the following that a real N64 doesn't have.

1. Disable graphic effects on hardware and software level - allows users to customize if they want dithering, blur, filtering, gamma, etc. Does more than what deblur chips can do. Like if you turn off enough stuff, you can see individual pixels again.
2. Transfer pak emulation - set Gameboy rom for use on titles that support it
3. Optional core that overclocks the N64 CPU (don't expect much improvement)

It is still an amazing achievement since a lot of games work very well and this was considered impossible to even get this stable.

Compatibility list:

At least with this core done, the successor of MiSTer can hopefully get compatibility to 100%. It was fun beta testing this like originally Mario didn't have a face in Super Mario 64 since not all parts were implemented in the core.

Robert's PSX core is pretty awesome too like:

1. 99% compatibility
2. Widescreen support
3. CPU overclocking
4. Upgrade 480i games to 480p

Kinda sad that he's stopped making FPGA stuff and focused on making his own games

Attachments

• Dvn2f5oXcAMdhZJ[1].jpg
    Dvn2f5oXcAMdhZJ[1].jpg
    12.1 KB · Views: 10
Last edited by fvig2001,

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
Robert's core is almost perfect for all the games I like to play, so I'm weighing my N64 FPGA options on weather I should get the MiSTer, MARS, Replay2, or the Analogue 3D. I have to wait for most of these to come out and weigh prices to features. I have an N64 flash cart to load ROMs from, as well as plenty of SD cards and real N64 carts. MARS is already priced at $699, and a full MiSTer setup is almost that price already. I feel the Analoge 3D will probably be at $400 USD, or else any higher and it won't sell well at all.

fvig2001

Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
Robert's core is almost perfect for all the games I like to play, so I'm weighing my N64 FPGA options on weather I should get the MiSTer, MARS, Replay2, or the Analogue 3D. I have to wait for most of these to come out and weigh prices to features. I have an N64 flash cart to load ROMs from, as well as plenty of SD cards and real N64 carts. MARS is already priced at $699, and a full MiSTer setup is almost that price already. I feel the Analoge 3D will probably be at $400 USD, or else any higher and it won't sell well at all.
Really depends on your goal.

Like Mars is delayed (It was 2024 Q1) and who knows if it will serve what it's promised (Dreamcast, 3DO). Analogue's N64 may be worth it to people who love the N64 and have cartridges but if you only like a few games, it's probably not worth it. I'd probably at least wait to see if Mars is going to be released soon. I mean, those games aren't going anywhere.

I don't know if I'll get Mars since I don't really care about 3DO, Jaguar, Dreamcast (already have one). It doesn't help that the people involved have like blocked people in the community for asking normal questions.

Last edited by fvig2001,
Reactions: osaka35

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
The MARS team has damaged their reputation worse than Analogue has, and that's a monumental achievement. Analogue just doesn't interact with anyone. MARS team snaps back and blocks people for calling them out on their bullshit. They blocked both me and PixelCherryNinja (YouTuber I follow) just for it.

Reactions: KiiWii and Marc_LFD

lordelan

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Been in the making for some time now and despite everyone claiming this'll never be possible on the MiSTer, it now is. Quite an achievement imho.
Unfortunately the dev of it decided recently to abandon his FPGA work for now and develop an own game.
However, the N64 core plays most of the catalogue at this point and is more than any MiSTer owner ever hoped for.

RAHelllord

Literally the wurst.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
The MARS team has damaged their reputation worse than Analogue has, and that's a monumental achievement. Analogue just doesn't interact with anyone. MARS team snaps back and blocks people for calling them out on their bullshit. They blocked both me and PixelCherryNinja (YouTuber I follow) just for it.
The Mister team isn't any better in that regard, some of the people that handle their PR shouldn't be allowed near any social media or users in general.
Though that's a problem with nearly every bigger tech project, and seems to be what naturally happens when you have a bunch of people that prefer tech over human interactions. The entire space is basically just petty attacks over the silliest stuff.

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
The Mister team isn't any better in that regard, some of the people that handle their PR shouldn't be allowed near any social media or users in general.
Though that's a problem with nearly every bigger tech project, and seems to be what naturally happens when you have a bunch of people that prefer tech over human interactions. The entire space is basically just petty attacks over the silliest stuff.
The MARS team should hire a proper PR/Social Media Manager to keep things under control and to be transparent to potential customers. My rates are fair. :ph34r:

Avalyn

Trophies
XP
Country
Denmark
If only the community wasn’t so confusing/ expensive and toxic to get into

I tried looking into a MiSTER about a year ago and they are not a friendly bunch of people. Almost seemed like being asshats was their kink
The community has idiots as well as nice people, same as everywhere else. Where did you go? I would not recommend the mister fpga group on facebook. Lots of assholes there (I just block them).

As for confusing, it's not more confusing than setting up any other emulation station - tons of guides out there.

Expensive however, yes. I sold my SNES and everdrive to afford it.

Was a good purchase though, the games run great, zero to no latency on my CRT :D

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Well, Nintendo will probably let this one go for now and then when it's mostly perfect they'll DMCA them.
I don't think they have any legal ground to go against N64 emulation of any level, much less FPGA-based hardware emulation.

If that were so they would have gone against Analogue since they're the most popular FPGA console manufacturers out there and they have actually released and sold consoles based on that.

osaka35

Instructional Designer
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's amazing work, and it's fascinating how much of our hobby turns on the hard work of single individuals. Well, and all the contributors to various projects informing the hard work of a single individual.

And here I was about to build a MiSTer. Hadn't heard of MARS or Replay2. Thanks for the heads up, really appreciate it. I'll wait for a while and save up in the meantime.

The analogue 3d is just for n64? That's pretty cool too. Know of any other projects on the horizon? I don't regret my retrotink 4k because of bfi and original hardware, but man. The future looks bright.

Reactions: Jayro and KiiWii

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
It's amazing work, and it's fascinating how much of our hobby turns on the hard work of single individuals. Well, and all the contributors to various projects informing the hard work of a single individual.

And here I was about to build a MiSTer. Hadn't heard of MARS or Replay2. Thanks for the heads up, really appreciate it. I'll wait for a while and save up in the meantime.

The analogue 3d is just for n64? That's pretty cool too. Know of any other projects on the horizon? I don't regret my retrotink 4k because of bfi and original hardware, but man. The future looks bright.
There's some cheap FPGA boards by Sipeed that can handle up to SNES and GBA which is pretty cool, and they have some GBA-like handhelds coming soon. FPGA is the way forward for preserving retro gaming accurately, and I'm all-in.

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
If only the community wasn’t so confusing/ expensive and toxic to get into

I tried looking into a MiSTER about a year ago and they are not a friendly bunch of people. Almost seemed like being asshats was their kink
Kinda why I don’t give it a thought. FPGA emulation is great on paper, but I’m not spending money when it funds degens who are ultimately bad for the retro community, contributions aside. Just my opinion though. I still believe original hardware can’t be beat.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Mondooooo @ Mondooooo:
    wth is that?
  • bernard_kekette @ bernard_kekette:
    A version of ModMii
  • Mondooooo @ Mondooooo:
    and what is ModMii
  • bernard_kekette @ bernard_kekette:
    a tool to install WADs on the Wii
  • Mondooooo @ Mondooooo:
    nice
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    WELCOME TO WARIO WORLD THE UNDERGROUND GBATEMP
    +2
  • Mondooooo @ Mondooooo:
    LMAO
  • Mondooooo @ Mondooooo:
    Wario world underground
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Don't know why yellow potatoes come out so creamy when you roast them
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    Did you soak them B4 hand?
    Cool. Though I'm Not the effeminate type. You know, the limp wrist, Sascha walking type of gay. :)
    Though I Do Cross-Dress Once in awhile :D
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    The home just confuses your wardrobe
    How are you doing today K3Nv2?
    You did? By whom?
    Ohh, Don't tell me lEOTck did it to you? :O:sad:
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    nah we all know luke is who leo's smashing
    +1
    Oh :shit:! And I didn't get to 📽️ it! :angry::sad::cry: :hateit:
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    GUYS I JUST FOUND OUT THAT ULTERIOR MOTIVES WAS FOUND YESTERDAY, AND IT WAS FROM P O R N 💀😭
    +1
    😱 .............................. :evil::tpi::evil:
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: 😱 .............................. :evil::tpi::evil: