The first retro emulator hits Apple's App Store, but you should probably avoid it

emu.jpg

With Apple having recently updated their guidelines for the App Store, iOS users have been left to speculate on specific wording and whether retro emulators as we know them would truly have a place in the great walled garden. Today it seems our questions have been answered with the arrival of what appears to be the first traditional emulator on the App Store: iGBA. Having downloaded it myself I can confirm it is a functional GBA and GBC emulator, so what’s the catch?

i3.jpg i4.jpg

Well to be blunt, this really just looks like the classic iOS emulator GBA4iOS, with unavoidable advertisements thrown in for good measure. This comes from a developer with an extensive library of apps ranging from barcode scanners to money trackers, all oddly four years old. It comes across as a quick cash in while there are no other accessible alternatives and it isn’t something that should be supported, especially as more feature-rich and actively developed emulators like Ignited have been rejected as spam.

i1.jpg i2.jpg

If you are interested in emulation on iOS I’d encourage you to look into sideloading, with apps like AltStore making the process surprisingly painless nowadays, and allowing you to install up to two other apps alongside AltStore itself. This comes with a caveat that you need to check in with a PC every seven days to keep your apps playable, but it’s a price worth paying when you consider you’re getting ad-free emulation. And ad-free emulation that supports both DS and N64 games with no issues.

i9.jpg

Emulation on iOS can actually be pretty great!

iGBA could yet be a positive sign of things to come, with this potentially demystifying Apple’s latest guidelines. It’s a space worth watching for any iOS users out there, even if the first to make it through isn’t quite what we’d hope to have seen.

Update: Other Emulators on the App Store
Note that outside of iGBA, other "emulators" have been appearing on the App Store. The ones I'm aware of are "My Boy! - GBA Emulator", "John GBA", and "DraStic DS Emulator 3D", all by Anas Zakarneh. These each cost £6.99 and and are not emulators. Scrolling through their screenshots reveal that they are cheap games trying to cash in on the emulation hype before the real apps hit the scene. Be cautious, do research, and don't get caught out.

Last edited by Scarlet,

DragonMals

6th-7th Gen Retro Gaming Entusiast
Trophies
Country
United States
This looks extremely promising for iOS users! Although I am not one myself (I used to be), it's great to see that they're finally getting a true taste into Retro Emulation officially endorsed by Apple. How long did it take for them to actually do this, btw?

LightBeam

Trophies
XP
Country
France
This comes with a caveat that you need to check in with a PC every seven days to keep your apps playable
That's just crazy that Apple makes you go through that. That's one reason I don't think I will ever use an iPhone as my daily driver.

I do wish I had an iPhone or a Mac just to know about the environment, I'm always trying to hack stuff and jailbreaking, block ads and sideloading apps would definitely be the first things I would try to do

Scarlet

Onion Soup
OP
Editorial Team
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
scarlet.works
XP
Country
United Kingdom
That's just crazy that Apple makes you go through that. That's one reason I don't think I will ever use an iPhone as my daily driver.

I do wish I had an iPhone or a Mac just to know about the environment, I'm always trying to hack stuff and jailbreaking, block ads and sideloading apps would definitely be the first things I would try to do
My bad for not clarifying a little better. The reason you need to do that is because sideloading in its current form takes advantage of the fact a free developer account can have up to three apps associated with it. For a free account these apps need to be renewed every seven days, which is what AltStore (and its companion app AltServer) automates. If you don't mind paying for a developer account, I think the app expiry gets boosted to yearly, so that is an option. Seven days is fine for me though, I'm rarely away from a PC for longer than that.

Reactions: ChronoTrig

NinStar

Ny'hrarr ♂
Trophies
Website
ninstar.carrd.co
XP
Country
Brazil
Why people even bother with Apple products nowadays? Like for real, what is the point? These things are already overpriced and for some reason there's still people out there who want to go through the hassle of using their products for things like this? There's nothing special about them and at the end of the day it is just not worth it.

LightBeam

Trophies
XP
Country
France
My bad for not clarifying a little better. The reason you need to do that is because sideloading in its current form takes advantage of the fact a free developer account can have up to three apps associated with it. For a free account these apps need to be renewed every seven days, which is what AltStore (and its companion app AltServer) automates. If you don't mind paying for a developer account, I think the app expiry gets boosted to yearly, so that is an option. Seven days is fine for me though, I'm rarely away from a PC for longer than that.
I guess that depends on the cost of a developer account, that's already a better solution.
I still wish it was as easy as it is on Android tho ... I don't see why it shouldn't be from a consumer perspective

Thanks for the added clarification btw

a_username_that_isnt_cool

Well-Hated Member (Also)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I guess that depends on the cost of a developer account, that's already a better solution.
I still wish it was as easy as it is on Android tho ... I don't see why it shouldn't be from a consumer perspective

Thanks for the added clarification btw
its like a hundred dollars a year

ZeroFX

why?
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Why people even bother with Apple products nowadays? Like for real, what is the point? These things are already overpriced and for some reason there's still people out there who want to go through the hassle of using their products for things like this? There's nothing special about them and at the end of the day it is just not worth it.
yes, if you like to fiddle with your phone or have responsibility with your money then stay away... it's a phone for old people and normies.

Quore

Racing Games Enjoyer
Trophies
Website
music.youtube.com
XP
Country
Brazil
I think in general its a Big W for iOS users imo. Not only because of this specific emulator (even if this is suspicious) but to think that in the future it's going to be easier to install emulators on iOS.

Now imagine that: In some years, Apple will could make it less painful to connect an iPhone to a Windows PC (or even Linux, who knows:creep:) and with that, making the process of putting ROMs in it much easier.

I don't have any iOS device but i still feel happy with all of this.

Reactions: ganons

ccfman2004

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you want to get around the 3 app limitation and 7 day limit you can buy a developer license for $100 per year than you can sideload as many apps as you want. I did that in the past.

To be fair I have tried Android devices several times and it has always been a painful experience.

Reactions: JeepX87

x65943

i can be your sega dreamcast or sega nightmarecast
Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
"This comes with a caveat that you need to check in with a PC every seven days to keep your apps playable"

"If you want to get around the 3 app limitation and 7 day limit you can buy a developer license for $100"

The absolute state of iPhone users

AshuraZro

Belongs in a museum.
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
What I wonder is how Apple will handle complaints and takedown requests from Nintendo and others on the topic of emulators. I’m aware emulators are legal but given its Apple and their rules or nothing approach, who knows how much resistance they’ll put up to any complaint against an emulator.

They could bend at any complaint they want and still be able to say “We allow emulators” in any court or anti-trust case. Let’s be honest, these consessions exist only for that reason and we’ve already seen how they handled other concessions in the EU.

Also, in general, can we skip the whole “iPhone sucks/Android sucks” debate? It’s been something like 16 years now. Its fucking insufferable enough with Windows, Mac and Linux users. Use what is best for your workflow and life and don’t put others down for doing the same.

Last edited by AshuraZro,

CeeDee

fuckin dork
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Also, in general, can we skip the whole “iPhone sucks/Android sucks” debate? It’s been something like 16 years now. Its fucking insufferable enough with Windows, Mac and Linux users. Use what is best for your workflow and life and don’t put others down for doing the same.
It's not good enough that I'm happy, I need to put others down for liking different things!

PopcornSweetie

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
"This comes with a caveat that you need to check in with a PC every seven days to keep your apps playable"

"If you want to get around the 3 app limitation and 7 day limit you can buy a developer license for $100"

The absolute state of iPhone users
If they can pay $1000+ for a fucking phone. $100 is nothing for them.

x65943

i can be your sega dreamcast or sega nightmarecast
Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If they can pay $1000+ for a fucking phone. $100 is nothing for them.
I'm not gonna act like I don't buy flagship $1000 phones, but at that price I expect my phone to do what I want it to do

Imagine buying a sports car that is locked to 60mph or less

porkiewpyne

Report-er
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
I'm not gonna act like I don't buy flagship $1000 phones, but at that price I expect my phone to do what I want it to do

Imagine buying a sports car that is locked to 60mph or less
Funny you should say that. IIRC Mercedes tried to paywall top speed or acceleration a while back? And of course there's BMW's heated seat shenanigans.

We have enough people willing to be screwed over. Heck, some might even revel in that fact. As long as that doesn't change, companies will just keep finding new ways to charge more

MarkDarkness

Nocturnal
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
People who insist on using Apple products deserve the second class citizen treatment they get.
Post automatically merged:

To be fair I have tried Android devices several times and it has always been a painful experience.
It's called "choosing the wrong phones". Most countries are Android-based rather than the developed world's obsession with Apple's expensive unfixable bricks.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    Though I Do Cross-Dress Once in awhile :D
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    The home just confuses your wardrobe
    How are you doing today K3Nv2?
    You did? By whom?
    Ohh, Don't tell me lEOTck did it to you? :O:sad:
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    nah we all know luke is who leo's smashing
    +1
    Oh :shit:! And I didn't get to 📽️ it! :angry::sad::cry: :hateit:
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    GUYS I JUST FOUND OUT THAT ULTERIOR MOTIVES WAS FOUND YESTERDAY, AND IT WAS FROM P O R N 💀😭
    +1
    😱 .............................. :evil::tpi::evil:
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Good afternoon
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BakerMan, what's ulterior motives?
  • zeith_7 @ zeith_7:
    it was a lostwave song
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @zeith_7, 1) what's lostwave? 2) give context
  • zeith_7 @ zeith_7:
    lostwaves are like songs that became lost
  • zeith_7 @ zeith_7:
    they are partially or never found
  • zeith_7 @ zeith_7:
    ulterior motives is one of the internets lostwaves
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Ok read the Wikipedia article
  • zeith_7 @ zeith_7:
    and basically people were trying to find it for a while after a post with the lost songs only snippet
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @zeith_7, and an obscure norp film had the song
  • zeith_7 @ zeith_7:
    correct
  • zeith_7 @ zeith_7:
    the orginal snippet was from a pirated verison of the film basically
  • zeith_7 @ zeith_7:
    or so i think
  • zeith_7 @ zeith_7:
    i never expected it to get discovered this year/month
    zeith_7 @ zeith_7: i never expected it to get discovered this year/month