Hacking Banner/Icon Edit,Save Edit, Manual Edit VC Games

megabug7

Forum Relic
Trophies
XP
Country
I didn't convert it from the original sound.bin as there is no known way to unpack the sound.bin.

The versions that have been posted is an internal recording of the VC Channel Sound.

QUOTE said:
For those wanting to create an emanual.
Do not add your own files or else the packer will delete them.

If there is a way - enlighten me..

Btw, your warnings about the emanual are not needed. I changed filenames, removed all the French and Spanish files, changed the directory structure, etc. All you have to do is repack with darchD.exe (a google search will help you find it)

Thanks for the info neonix, will look for that app.

smile.gif

neonix

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Fission said:
I didn't convert it from the original sound.bin as there is no known way to unpack the sound.bin.
I know how you did it, but there is a way to unpack the sound.bin, I did it, but got a distorted wav: http://www.sendspace.com/file/lga5go
You just delete the MD5 and LZ77 headers > gbalzss d sound.bin sound.bns > BNS2WAV.exe, sound.bns to sound.wav
and there you have the wav file, but you'll see the distortion. I'm sure someone better with audio can mess with the playback rates and such.

And with the sound.bin, you can't just add it to your already packed 00000000.app, you have to pack the banner, icon, and sound into the one you download from Sperion's post.

Also, since we have a method to convert BNS to WAV, we should be able to convert WAV to BNS, compress with LZ77, sign with MD5, and have a smaller WAD overall.

neonix

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh, and what's with the last bit in the first post? You posted in the thread about changing the savegame images and text, I've done it and it works fine.

megabug7

Forum Relic
Trophies
XP
Country
Well the reason you get distortion is because it's not converting it properly...

You can't do anything with the sound.wav bns2wav made, as it's not even close to the original - no matter how many times you resample. you won't change the basic 'Ting ting'

Just tried the process again - it's impossible to correct that.

neonix

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Fission said:
Well the reason you get distortion is because it's not converting it properly...

You can't do anything with the sound.wav bns2wav made, as it's not even close to the original - no matter how many times you resample. you won't change the basic 'Ting ting'
That's why I was asking if you had gotten that problem before or if you just were unable to convert it.

Oh well

megabug7

Forum Relic
Trophies
XP
Country
Well yes I did try the BNS2WAV before my method - but didn't do the gbalzss step you mentioned, so it refused to convert the file.

Neonix - I found that darchD.exe but I don't quite understand the syntax - I keep getting unlinking error
unsure.gif

Could you please give me a sample command line?

Thanks

Sperion

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
neonix said:
Oh, and what's with the last bit in the first post? You posted in the thread about changing the savegame images and text, I've done it and it works fine.

Yeah i found out how to change the snes savegame banner and txt but i didnt find the nes one (and didnt even look at the other ones)
So if you ore somebody else know how to do this, or wich files to edit pleace post

megabug7

Forum Relic
Trophies
XP
Country
Sperion said:
neonix said:

Yeah i found out how to change the snes savegame banner and txt but i didnt find the nes one (and didnt even look at the other ones)
So if you ore somebody else know how to do this, or wich files to edit pleace post

Are you able to extract the files from the banner/icon.bin
I keep get overflow error trying to extract banner.bin in nes
unsure.gif

Removed both headers - same result....
unsure.gif

Sperion

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Fission said:
Sperion said:
neonix said:

unsure.gif

unsure.gif

yeah ive got no problem when extracting. did you used the 00000000.app from the first post?

Skater4599

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wow i replaced the original manual.arc with the blank one, and it took over 1MB off teh final out.wad. Does this blank manual work with all VC, i used snes, does it work with n64,nes etc? Also with V.o8 of the u8packer it gives option for LZ77 compression but i know you cant use it on all things, what can you use it on and it still work? Would be nice to shrink down some of these finished wads. I've tried compessing banner.bin and icon.bin but the icon didnt work, channel showed as a white fuzzy thing lol, but the banner showed perfect when i clicked the channel.

megabug7

Forum Relic
Trophies
XP
Country
Sperion said:
Fission said:
Sperion said:
neonix said:

unsure.gif

unsure.gif

yeah ive got no problem when extracting. did you used the 00000000.app from the first post?

No lol - I used proper wad

Sperion

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Skater4599 said:
Wow i replaced the original manual.arc with the blank one, and it took over 1MB off teh final out.wad. Does this blank manual work with all VC, i used snes, does it work with n64,nes etc? ...
Jup you can use it on all vc

Sperion

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Fission said:
Sperion said:
Fission said:
Sperion said:
neonix said:

unsure.gif

unsure.gif

No lol - I used proper wad

Try this:
3.1 Copy the banner.bin file to the "tools" folder and open it with a hex editor.

3.2 Search for 55 AA 38 and null (00) everything before it up to the 35 and save it.
Image:

4. Open a command prompt and “cd” your way to the “tools” folder containing gbalzss
4.1 Type “gbalzss d banner.bin banner.arc” (without quotation marks of course) and press enter.
Image:

4.2 Double click u8extr.exe and point it towards the banner.arc file in the “tools” folder. It will create a new folder called banner_arc_out.

after that rename the banner.arc to banner.bin and open that with u8pack then replace your files and save as "Firmware u8 Archive w/ MD5"

RadioShadow

Trophies
XP
Country
I just worked out how to disable the 'Operations Guide' button! It worked on the Metroid NES and sine it's the 000004.app (which just contains the graphics for the home button 2 and 3), you should just be able to replace the file.

All I did was replace the homebutton3 files with the hombutton2 files inside the 00000004.app.
yaynds.gif

megabug7

Forum Relic
Trophies
XP
Country
Sperion said:
Try this:
3.1 Copy the banner.bin file to the "tools" folder and open it with a hex editor.

3.2 Search for 55 AA 38 and null (00) everything before it up to the 35 and save it.
Image:

4. Open a command prompt and “cd” your way to the “tools” folder containing gbalzss
4.1 Type “gbalzss d banner.bin banner.arc” (without quotation marks of course) and press enter.
Image:

4.2 Double click u8extr.exe and point it towards the banner.arc file in the “tools” folder. It will create a new folder called banner_arc_out.

after that rename the banner.arc to banner.bin and open that with u8pack then replace your files and save as "Firmware u8 Archive w/ MD5"

Oh
blink.gif

Let me try this
smile.gif

Will let you know.

megabug7

Forum Relic
Trophies
XP
Country
Ok Sperion, that worked..

Can't seem to locate the rom
unsure.gif

00.app
02.app
03.app
04.app
05.app

can be extracted

01.app
06.app

not a valid U8
unsure.gif

There is a reference to savedata.bin in 01.app at Pos: 1dd4cf if it's any help
unsure.gif

neonix

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Fission said:
Well yes I did try the BNS2WAV before my method - but didn't do the gbalzss step you mentioned, so it refused to convert the file.

Neonix - I found that darchD.exe but I don't quite understand the syntax - I keep getting unlinking error
unsure.gif

Could you please give me a sample command line?

Thanks
darchD, like most tools from any SDK, will tell you the syntax if you run it in command prompt without any handles.
Code:
Usage:ÂÂdarchd [-c files/directories ...] [-d directory] [-x directory] [-e files/directories...] [-htlvV] file

ÂÂÂÂ-cÂÂ Creates a new archive
ÂÂÂÂ-tÂÂ Lists the contents of an archive in tar-like order
ÂÂÂÂ-lÂÂ Lists the contents of an archive in the order in disc
ÂÂÂÂ-xÂÂ Extracts files from an archive
ÂÂÂÂ-dÂÂ Finds differences between archive and file system
ÂÂÂÂ-eÂÂ Erases files/directories from an archive
ÂÂÂÂ-vÂÂ Turns on verbose mode
ÂÂÂÂ-VÂÂ Shows version number
ÂÂÂÂ-hÂÂ Prints this message and exit
ÂÂÂÂfile Archive file

Code:
darchd -c emanual_arc_out emanual.arc

I also recommend using darchd to extract the emanual since u8pack/extr fails at subdirectories.

Code:
darchd -x emanual_arc_out emanual.arc
Yes, when extracting, the output directory goes before the input archive. The directory will always be first no matter what operation you use with darchD.
The coder must have had some reaosn for this, or he was just lazy/novice.

And there should always be an "emanual" folder inside the output folder you make. When repacking, always repack using the folder you output to (IE: emanual_arc_out)
It has to have emanual at the root from my experience.

QUOTE(RadioShadow @ Jun 22 2008, 02:29 PM) Here is the file for 00000004.app. It should work on any VC WAD and only make the 'Wii Menu' and 'Reset' buttons display, in the centre of the screen too.
smile.gif
The 'Operation Menu' button has been disabled (how I don't know XD).

http://www.megafileupload.com/en/file/7120...000004-app.html
That's interesting, I may look into that. I guess the programmers/designers just have a file for normal games, and one for VC games, and swap them.
With this mod, you can simply remove the emanual altogether. Thanks for sharing.
smile.gif

Oh and Sperion, I think I'm going to look into the NES wad soon, so I'll post my findings.

lolsjoel

Trophies
Website
www.0RANGECHiCKEN.co.nr
XP
Country
United States
RadioShadow said:
Here is the file for 00000004.app. It should work on any VC WAD and only make the 'Wii Menu' and 'Reset' buttons display, in the centre of the screen too.
smile.gif
The 'Operation Menu' button has been disabled (how I don't know XD).

http://www.megafileupload.com/en/file/7120...000004-app.html
That'll work for any system? If so, awesome! I'll be using that from now on.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    They should've just made it a movie at 50 minutes
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    No from Paramount Plus or whatever it is
    +1
    Psi now has access to every streaming and cable channel out
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Eh I'd rather just download and delete is it already up on paramount?
    Yeah it's on now
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @Psionic Roshambo, why are most new south park episodes half hour specials?
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @Psionic Roshambo, let me get a Netflix account I've always been nice to you
    +1
    I made a honey pepper glazed turkey breast for dinner turned out pretty bomb
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    We can Netflix and chill
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Nvm not half hour, but hour long
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Normal south park episodes are already half hour
    Got 2 free Xumo boxes they work pretty good
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'm happy to get anything most series don't make it pass 6 seasons
    Except Stars and Encore those are being a bitch lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I may consider that onn pro box finally a media box with type A ;O
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @K3Nv2, cuz the companies don't want em to
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    No it's revenue and demand south park could argue has a bigger audience than family guy about the same
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Family guy is worth 300mill south parks worth 1Bill according to the interwebs
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @K3Nv2, probably cuz family guy is more disliked compared to south park
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It just does the same formula south park can press buttons without going overboard
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    And bc most of the family guy budget is spent on the voice actors rather than on the animation
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Southpark could spend 30k on a animated dick and people would laugh at it
    +2
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    lol one prescription to Lizzo
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    who is lizzo?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    yawn
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: yawn