Enable loading external FIRMs and modules suddently makes my console unbootable.

LNLenost

The Console Bricker
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
So I always use my New 3DS XL with this option turned on. I rebooted the console (for like, no reason) and before the HOME Menu even appeared, it crashed. Turning off the option in Luma3DS makes me boot my console again and everything works fine.

Last thing I did before this happened was checking my friend list, went on the browser, and that's it.

The other option that I have enabled in Luma is Enable game patching. PLS help!!

Here is the crash dump btw

Attachments

• 17144665116382233556071243812130.jpg
    17144665116382233556071243812130.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 2
Answer New

RAHelllord

Literally the wurst.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Remove the SD card and move the external firms to a folder on your PC, then see if that already fixes it. If yes one of those has likely gotten corrupted so then you'd have to find out which one and download a new copy from the internet. Easiest solution would be to copy each back to the SD card and try to boot, it should crash again after the bad one has been copied.
If that didn't help there's potentially a patch for a game that has instead broken, so that'd be the next place where to remove everything and see if that helps, then narrow it down to which one exactly broke.

If all of that is inconclusive try running h2testw over the MicroSD and see if there are any errors, there's always a chance the card itself got corrupted somehow. At which point a new card entirely might be in order, before it fails catastrophically and takes all your saves into an early grave.

Reactions: LNLenost

Davine_Lu_Linvega

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Sorry I'm dumb, where are firms located?
  • SD:/boot.firm (Luma3DS, since you are booting when enable loading external firms and modules is off this file seems good, unless you are booting luma from nand, you can check that by opening the luma options, it's on the bottom of the bottom screen in yellow)
  • SD:/luma/payloads (firms that you can select to boot by holding start when powering on the console, you should have at least godmode9 there, you cant try replacing it if it's corrupted)
  • SD:/luma/sysmodules (this is what made my 3ds crash, these files are usually created by homebrew like nimbus-pretendo (if installed with universal updater) i had to remove nimbus and the modules to get the system working again, you can reinstall it later)
There are other locations for these files but i suggest you DO NOT mess with them since they are in nand
  • CTRNAND:/boot.firm (copy of Luma3DS that's on the root of your SD card)
  • CTRNAND:/rw/luma/payloads (copy of the payloads in SD:/luma/payloads)
Bonus location is:
  • SD:/gm9/payloads (if you followed the guide you shouldn't even have this folder)

LNLenost

The Console Bricker
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
  • SD:/boot.firm (Luma3DS, since you are booting when enable loading external firms and modules is off this file seems good, unless you are booting luma from nand, you can check that by opening the luma options, it's on the bottom of the bottom screen in yellow)
  • SD:/luma/payloads (firms that you can select to boot by holding start when powering on the console, you should have at least godmode9 there, you cant try replacing it if it's corrupted)
  • SD:/luma/sysmodules (this is what made my 3ds crash, these files are usually created by homebrew like nimbus-pretendo (if installed with universal updater) i had to remove nimbus and the modules to get the system working again, you can reinstall it later)
There are other locations for these files but i suggest you DO NOT mess with them since they are in nand
  • CTRNAND:/boot.firm (copy of Luma3DS that's on the root of your SD card)
  • CTRNAND:/rw/luma/payloads (copy of the payloads in SD:/luma/payloads)
Bonus location is:
  • SD:/gm9/payloads (if you followed the guide you shouldn't even have this folder)
Ok thx

Davine_Lu_Linvega

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Forgot to mention

there's potentially a patch for a game that has instead broken, so that'd be the next place where to remove

Nimbus installed via universal updater does install game patches too they are in

• SD:/luma/titles
they are miiverse patches but those too made my system crash when connecting to the internet until i reinstalled them, you might have more then just the pretendo ones (if you ever installed it), as RAHelllord said it's up to you finding which one broke

LNLenost

The Console Bricker
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Forgot to mention

Nimbus installed via universal updater does install game patches too they are in

• SD:/luma/titles
they are miiverse patches but those too made my system crash when connecting to the internet until i reinstalled them, you might have more then just the pretendo ones (if you ever installed it), as RAHelllord said it's up to you finding which one broke
Yes I do have pretendo
I'll check in like 1 hour and I'll tell u
Post automatically merged:

Fixed! It was Shut the Cam Up btw. Thank you!

Last edited by LNLenost,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09ZLRDMXX/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?tag=slickdeals09-20&ascsubtag=...