Hacking Gateway Read Error, Help!

Trace_hunter

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
So I've just been playing some new super mario bros 2, closed the ds during a level to get a coffee, opened it and come back to find the music has stopped playing, exited out of the level and the game has crashed.
Restarted my ds, booted into gateway, hit select and it just says 'read error'.
I haven't done anything different and it's been working just fine up until now, did a disk check on the sd card, didn't find anything wrong, still not working. Tried a different SD card, same problem, did a full format and a format to exfat, no difference
What's going on!

edit: Have tried 3 different micro sd cards, all of which work fine on a computer, none of which pass the sd read diagnostic test in the gateway menu. It's the same error as if there was no micro sd plugged into the red gateway. I'm guessing the micro sd reader is screwed, I bought it from buygateway3ds.com/, does anyone know if I could get a replacement?

Have also tried reinstalling gateway with the blue card on the same micro sd, which worked just fine, reformatted emunand, all seems fine but still won't detect the micro sd card, I'm guessing the red card is buggered

Nurio

That Kirby fan
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
You've done everything that I would suggest doing, so I am out of ideas myself. That means I can only come to the same conclusion that you did. The red card seems broken. What's strange, though, is that it passes the diagnostic test.
Have you maybe tried a different ROM? Maybe the file is corrupted somehow.

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Test using win32diskimager to write a single rom to see if the that will work, also I suppose giving the card a squeeze wouldn't hurt to see if something is a bit loose

Trace_hunter

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
You've done everything that I would suggest doing, so I am out of ideas myself. That means I can only come to the same conclusion that you did. The red card seems broken. What's strange, though, is that it passes the diagnostic test.
Have you maybe tried a different ROM? Maybe the file is corrupted somehow.

Yeah the red card passed the diagnostic but the sd card bit at the end failed. I have tried a different rom yes, I deleted mario bros and put a different rom on and it still didn't work. Thanks for the replies though, I emailed the retailer I bought it from with all the info and they said, try a different sd card, despite the fact I said in the email I tried 3 different sd cards, so annoying when they don't read the emails.

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Just be frank and say the card is faulty and you would like a replacement and where should you ship to, you will usually get a better response from that sort of message if you have already done all the diagnostics etc

Oh and did you try squeezing the sd slot just to make sure the sd doesn't have a loose connection, probably have the same results but might as well try while you wait for a response back

Trace_hunter

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Just be frank and say the card is faulty and you would like a replacement and where should you ship to, you will usually get a better response from that sort of message if you have already done all the diagnostics etc

Oh and did you try squeezing the sd slot just to make sure the sd doesn't have a loose connection, probably have the same results but might as well try while you wait for a response back

Yeah good idea, just a shame they take so long to reply. And yes I have tried squeezing the sd slot, didn't make any difference :(
Oh I did do an sd card test as well and It came out fine, I'm not sure about writing roms to it though as I literally just copied and pasted the .3ds files, which worked until it stopped working

yabbitboy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Yeah the red card passed the diagnostic but the sd card bit at the end failed. I have tried a different rom yes, I deleted mario bros and put a different rom on and it still didn't work. Thanks for the replies though, I emailed the retailer I bought it from with all the info and they said, try a different sd card, despite the fact I said in the email I tried 3 different sd cards, so annoying when they don't read the emails.

I had a similar issue with my old red gateway cart, does your Gateway cart LED light flash when you try to load a game? It passed all the diagnostic check but have trouble loading the games via the "select" button, ..... Turns out I had a faulty red gateway cart and I have since bought another Gateway cart..

http://gbatemp.net/threads/problems-loading-games-with-gateway-omega-2-0.363976/

SaggyBeans

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I had the read error once.. I had to load a SINGLE rom on an sd using Win32 Disk Imager method.. then it came back to life and multi-rom worked again. Try that and let me know.

Trace_hunter

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I had a similar issue with my old red gateway cart, does your Gateway cart LED light flash when you try to load a game? It passed all the diagnostic check but have trouble loading the games via the "select" button, ..... Turns out I had a faulty red gateway cart and I have since bought another Gateway cart..

http://gbatemp.net/threads/problems-loading-games-with-gateway-omega-2-0.363976/
I didn't know it had an led, where abouts is it located?

I had the read error once.. I had to load a SINGLE rom on an sd using Win32 Disk Imager method.. then it came back to life and multi-rom worked again. Try that and let me know.
Thanks for the suggestion I'll try this when I get home, I thought it wasn't required to write the rom files since a recent update?

Trace_hunter

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Its at the top of the cart. It looks like a little slot
Cheers I'll have a look when I get back, hope I can get it working!

Thanks for the suggestions guys but no dice, found the hole for the led (I think) but it doesn't show any light at all, even when trying to load games.
Tried writing a rom to the sd card but still came up with a read error.

I'm pretty certain it's screwed now, didn't get an email at all from the vendor today so who knows when I'll be able to send it back or if I'll even be able to get a replacement.

It seems like they've stopped replying to my emails, great.

eventually got a replacement, seems to be working fine

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    hunter x hunter
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    he has not allowed anyone to continue it for him for example
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @salazarcosplay, theres a dragon ball af mod for budokai 3
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    updated ship of harkinian, gonna install some hd texture pack
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    I might download rayman revolution for my ps3
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I may try the new ram site, and download more RAM to my Switch. Not sure if ddr3 is the right ram
    for it tho. Edit- no it uses floppy Ram, just like @AncientBoi
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    aeiou
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    And sometimes Z
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @K3Nv2, MAGA supporters be wearing tin foil hats lol.
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, whats maga?
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    It stands for Maniacs Against General Acceptance
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, people rejecting general consensus about stuff?
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yup, nuh its really just Trump followers
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, im not american so i dont care about trump
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    or us elections
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Me niether, us north Koreans don't care
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    i don't care either, even if i'm american
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    truth be told, i agree with psi, i dislike both candidates, but i'd probably vote trump simply because the economy was better during his presidency
  • AngryCinnabon @ AngryCinnabon:
    Just be careful, if trump ends up winning and using project 2025 America might really change...for the worse.
    I'm not american and even that sends shivers down my spine.
    anything that offers trump an opportunity to become an actual dictator
    is bad in my book, i could care less if it wasn't for that...
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Canada: America's Russia
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    people are so dramatic that I can't even tell if they are being serious
    NinStar @ NinStar: people are so dramatic that I can't even tell if they are being serious