ROM Hack Golden Sun Editor

Kaleid

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Here are my save editors for Golden Sun, Golden Sun: The Lost Age, and Golden Sun: Dark Dawn.

The editors are presented in a modular format. This means you only need to keep (and update) the editors you want. No reason to have editors you will never use, right? :D

The only files that are mandatory are Golden Sun - Main.exe and Pandora.dll. The former is the main program. You would use this to access the editors. The latter is where the magic happens. :D

I have implemented smart game detection. This means you simply load a file and the proper editor will load automatically, if you have it. If you don't have a proper editor, the program will let you know.

Features:
- Supports drag and drop. Simply drop a file onto the main form to load it!
- Save state files only! No battery files. (Editing battery files is pointless anyway.)
- Process editing. Edit the memory of an emulator in real-time!
- Export the WRAM portion of the save file, uncompressed.

Bad things:
- Only supports process editing for VBA (SVN 1097) and DeSmuME 0.9.8 x86. Pointers are located in different spots in each build. Until I can find a better way of finding what I need, this is how it is.

Required Files:
Main Program
Pandora (Revision 6)

Optional Files:
Golden Sun (Revision 3)
Golden Sun: The Lost Age (Revision 2)
Golden Sun: Dark Dawn (Revision 2)

Thank you for your time.

Kaleid

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It is a save editor. It supports editing save states, but not battery saves. Decoding algorithms is an unnecessary time sink. :D

It can also cut out the middleman and attach directly to a running emulator. While attaching, all functions work exactly the same as if you open a save state. :D

Process editing is in it's baby stages atm, as it's not very intuitive to automatically detect to which version of the emulator you are attaching. It works with the emulator version listed in the original post.

This was a side project, or a test project to see if I could get Isaac back up and running. If it works out, expect great things for the future. :D

Reactions: joshuatm

Hebon

Dabbling in the videogamagical
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just to clarify, when you say battery saves aren't allowed, what does that entail. Does this editor actually edit a rom file, or is it just a save state? It'd be cool if I could play a modded Golden Sun on my M3.

Kaleid

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Correct, it does not edit battery saves. Most games use an algorithm to check the integrity of save data. Decoding this algorithm is a huge waste of time, as the same editing can be done at the state or even emulation level.

It does not edit ROMs, as they also require some type of decoding that I just don't have time to deal with. I will update the original post to make it more clear what can be done here.

Qtis

Grey Knight Inquisitor
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Just to check before doing anything to my saves: Is it possible to add Djinn to the save? I missed one by going in the wrong direction (second playthrough) and saved afterwards. Basically am very near the end and I'd prefer not to start playing it from the start.

EDIT: The DS version in question (aka Dark Dawn).

Kaleid

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As a precaution, and this applies to any file on your computer, always make a backup if you are unsure of the results.

You may add any Djinn to any of your characters. Also, no changes are saved until you click the save button in the menu dropdown. So, you may peruse the editors without fear of breaking your saves.

Also, always backup your stuff. Always.

Qtis

Grey Knight Inquisitor
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
As a precaution, and this applies to any file on your computer, always make a backup if you are unsure of the results.

You may add any Djinn to any of your characters. Also, no changes are saved until you click the save button in the menu dropdown. So, you may peruse the editors without fear of breaking your saves.

Also, always backup your stuff. Always.
Yeah I've got a backup, but just wanted to make sure it was possible.. Now I can possibly play the game till the end :D

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom

JMSMORIARTY

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SnowStormAkikaze @ SnowStormAkikaze: Hey, about switch. If I want to change micro CD card to bigger size, Do I need to do something ...