Hacking Mighty Channels, TriiForce + d2x + nand emulation

WiiPower

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I to want collect usable error reports for issues with VC/WiiWare nand emulation and try to arrange them into the right group. Basically if it's a loader issue, a cIOS issue, a nand emu issue, a hardware issue or user fault.

Known issues:
Nand emulation and Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection:
In TriiForce R86 using d2x v6, it works with both boot methods on real and doesn't on emulated nand. So it seems to not be a loader or cIOS issue, it could be a nand emu issue or be related to the used device.

This needs confirmation for sd, sdhc and usb nand separately.

The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask (VirtualConsole):
QUOTE said:
When connecting the classic controller after Nintendo's logo the screen goes black.
It works with rev17.

This needs to be tested with the latest TriiForce with both boot methods(normal + apploader), as one the latest updates might fix this.

LostWinds series (WiiWare):
Freezes randomly when entering a new area with a buzzing noise. Seems to happen more often, the slower the device is[Or it could be that the number of installed titles is relevant on TriiForce up to R87]. 2 reports that TriiForce r88+ reduces the freezes to happen much less often.

Swords and Soldiers (WiiWare):

Liight (WiiWare):

Bonsai Barber (WiiWare):
davebaol said:
WiiPower said:
[...]
Bonsai Barber (WiiWare):
Only works on real nand, gets some error message on emulated nand. Need more details, copy the text of the error or make a screenshot.
[...]
The messagge is the usual "An error has occurred. Refer to Wii manual bla bla bla"
The only special thing is the red background color.

Ah the message appears after the health screen and the 1st loading screen just before asking confirmation for date and time.

I think the error is due to some bad emulation in FFS or FAT modules.

Might get different results on sd, sdhc and usb.

Various games:
- Some games are reported to require the apploader boot method. One of the recent updates to TriiForce might fix this.
"WAL", //ArtSyle: light trax
"WDH", //ArtSyle: Rotohex
"WOB", //ArtSyle: ORBIENT
"WPR", //ArtSyle: CUBELLO
"WA8", //ArtSyle: Penta Tentacles
"WB7", //Midnight Pool
"WSP" //Pokemon Rumble

- Some games are reported to only be able to save if there's a savegame on the nand already. In theory booting the game once with the apploader method might fix this.
Bit Trip Beat
Bit Trip Core
Bit Trip Void
Bit Trip Runner

When posting, please state what you are using and please always try to test with both boot methods(normal + apploader), on real and on emulated nand. Example:
TriiForce R86, d2x base IOS56 v6 final, 1 TB usb HDD, normal boot: DOESN'T WORK
TriiForce R86, d2x base IOS56 v6 final, 1 TB usb HDD, apploader: DOESN'T WORK
TriiForce R86, d2x base IOS56 v6 final, real nand, normal boot: WORKS
TriiForce R86, d2x base IOS56 v6 final, real nand, apploader: WORKS
MC v11.1, d2x base IOS56 v6 final, 1 TB usb HDD, normal boot: DOESN'T WORK
MC v11.1, d2x base IOS56 v6 final, 1 TB usb HDD, apploader: DOESN'T WORK
MC v11.1, d2x base IOS56 v6 final, real nand, normal boot: DOESN'T WORK
MC v11.1, d2x base IOS56 v6 final, real nand, apploader: WORKS

(that's the expected result for the online stuff btw)

Note that testing with TriiForce R91 is mandatory, because it received some updates recently which Mighty Channels does not have yet:
http://code.google.com/p/triiforce/source/...n%2Ftrunk%2FHBC

davebaol

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
WiiPower said:
[...]
Bonsai Barber (WiiWare):
Only works on real nand, gets some error message on emulated nand. Need more details, copy the text of the error or make a screenshot.
[...]
The messagge is the usual "An error has occurred. Refer to Wii manual bla bla bla"
The only special thing is the red background color.

Ah the message appears after the health screen and the 1st loading screen just before asking confirmation for date and time.

I think the error is due to some bad emulation in FFS or FAT modules.

Mad Bawler

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Hi WiiPower!
First, thank you for the new version of TriiForce and all your work on the other project's!!!!!!
I have the following problem: TriiForce or Mighty Channel can't find the USB-NAND on my Samsung S2 640 GB.

Loading...Error: Could not get dir entry count(ret: -101) for:
'/title/00010001'
Reading folder /title/00010001 failed
Error getting the tilte list

No problem with my SanDisk USB Stick!
UNEEK and Sorg's NANDEmu boots the USB-NAND without problems.

And a little question, can you add a theme option in TriiForce?

WiiPower

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Mad Bawler said:
Hi WiiPower!
First, thank you for the new version of TriiForce and all your work on the other project's!!!!!!
I have the following problem: TriiForce or Mighty Channel can't find the USB-NAND on my Samsung S2 640 GB.

Loading...Error: Could not get dir entry count(ret: -101) for:
'/title/00010001'
Reading folder /title/00010001 failed
Error getting the tilte list

No problem with my SanDisk USB Stick!
UNEEK and Sorg's NANDEmu boots the USB-NAND without problems.

And a little question, can you add a theme option in TriiForce?

I'll check if i can get a better error message this weekend. I have no intention of adding themes or doing anything GUI related in TriiForce, because most people use MC anyways. So it makes more sense to adapt the TriiForce changes to MC than for me to write a GUI.

DEFIANT

a daft old man who stole a magic box and ran away
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
Ocarina codes do not work in mighty channels v.2bis. It also doesn't work in v11.1. I would love to see this working. I know there's alot mixed feelings about cheating but I feel for completeness it should at least work.

Kovani

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Here's my testing results for LostWinds after 20 minutes of gameplay for each methods. Please note that I also reached a save point and I restarted the game to see if everything is still working.

TriiForce R86, d2x base IOS56 v6 final, usb nand, normal boot
TriiForce R86, d2x base IOS56 v6 final, usb nand, apploader

After entering a new zone, sometimes the game freeze with a looping sound. However, after a hard reset, I can resume the game.

TriiForce R86, d2x base IOS56 v6 final, real nand, normal boot
TriiForce R86, d2x base IOS56 v6 final, real nand, apploader

No issue at all.

TriiForce R86, d2x base IOS56 v6 final, sd nand, normal boot
TriiForce R86, d2x base IOS56 v6 final, sd nand, apploader

No issue at all.

I hope my testing were useful.
smile.gif

davebaol

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
For LW sd nand works and usb nand fails?!?
This is a big surprise, but rather worrying imo.

EDIT:
Also, for usb nand I think I remember that after resuming a game previously crashed the game always crashes when entering the 1st new zone.
And if you remove the save everything works again like before (I mean, it crashes when entering a new zone but not necessarily the 1st one).
Also, with usb gecko I've noticed that during zone transition the save is accessed.
All this makes me think that the save game can become randomly corrupted during zone transitions.
That's why it's quite surprising that everything works from sd nand.

So, Kovani, can you check if my memories are correct?

WiiPower

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Yeah it's strange that the sd nand seems to work. But as i told you yesterday, i worry if it's accessing 2 different files at the same time. What kind of crash did you get with your nand logger?

IceIceBird

Trophies
XP
Country
WiiPower said:
Yeah it's strange that the sd nand seems to work. But as i told you yesterday, i worry if it's accessing 2 different files at the same time. What kind of crash did you get with your nand logger?
LW on sd nand sometimes also freezes when changing zoones so it's not just a USB thingy. Not so often but it does from time to time. No problem loading the last save though.

davebaol

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
WiiPower said:
I don't remember exactly, however nothing special is logged.
I mean no thread dump or similar.
Also notice that during zone transition the screen is black but you can still hear the background music, so there are at least 2 threads I guess.
However this issue persists even when logging is disabled.

I just hope it's not a EHCI issue because this would mean rewriting most of the module (see in D2X topic how many issues are related to EHCI)

IceIceBird said:
QUOTE(WiiPower @ Jun 17 2011, 10:51 AM) Yeah it's strange that the sd nand seems to work. But as i told you yesterday, i worry if it's accessing 2 different files at the same time. What kind of crash did you get with your nand logger?
LW on sd nand sometimes also freezes when changing zoones so it's not just a USB thingy. Not so often but it does from time to time. No problem loading the last save though.
This is a very good news IMO.
What do you mean exactly with "No problem loading the last save though"?

IceIceBird

Trophies
XP
Country
davebaol said:
IceIceBird said:
WiiPower said:
This is a very good news IMO.
What do you mean exactly with "No problem loading the last save though"?
I remember some time ago (some d2x rev back) this also was an issue and that we had to remove the old save before we could start the game again. So I just thought of mention it.

davebaol

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
IceIceBird said:
I remember some time ago (some d2x rev back) this also was an issue and that we had to remove the old save before we could start the game again. So I just thought of mention it.
Yes you can start playing but please check if the red part of my quote is correct.
QUOTE(davebaol @ Jun 17 2011, 08:44 AM) For LW sd nand works and usb nand fails?!?
This is a big surprise, but rather worrying imo.

EDIT:
Also, for usb nand I think I remember that after resuming a game previously crashed the game always crashes when entering the 1st new zone.
And if you remove the save everything works again like before (I mean, it crashes when entering a new zone but not necessarily the 1st one).

Also, with usb gecko I've noticed that during zone transition the save is accessed.
All this makes me think that the save game can become randomly corrupted during zone transitions.
That's why it's quite surprising that everything works from sd nand.

So, Kovani, can you check if my memories are correct?

IceIceBird

Trophies
XP
Country
davebaol said:
I don't have this 1st new zone problem on SD. BUT the game can stil freeze later on. Havn't tried it on USB though, I only run WiiWare from SD.

QUOTE(davebaol @ Jun 17 2011, 11:43 AM) And if you remove the save everything works again like before (I mean, it crashes when entering a new zone but not necessarily the 1st one).
Yes the game can run for a while but can stil freeze when entering a new zone.

The only time the game freezes is when entering a new zone and only happens randomly.

WiiPower

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Davebaol, i meant what issue did you get with your logger that logged to nand emu? It was crashing due to 2 writes at the same time, and i want to know in which way this crashes the game.

davebaol

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
@IceIceBird
ok, perhaps I don't remember correctly.

WiiPower said:
Davebaol, i meant what issue did you get with your logger that logged to nand emu? It was crashing due to 2 writes at the same time, and i want to know in which way this crashes the game.
If file logging is active then you can't even start to play.
The game crashes as soon as you select the profile.
Is this what you want to know?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: :P