ROM Hack Monster hunter rise pc mods on switch

cobjak

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Someone found the good path to install pc mods on switch? Since the game released on Pc I saw a bunch of mods coming up and I am 100% convinced that we just need the correct path to run them but I really don't know the process

kraussian

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Korea, South
While it's a bit more involved than simple drag-and-drop, I've followed the instructions on the following Reddit post and was able to load all my PC mods on my Switch!

Here's a screenshot taken from my Switch with Hinoa wearing a more "comfortable" outfit for the hot summer weather! :D
(There was a problem during the batch texture conversion because of spaces in the filenames of certain texture files, the chest wrap in this case. Will need to fix that later)

2023062416215100-6C53F6F49C292FD1C2157D3E0D773577.jpg

Reactions: Saigaiii

kraussian

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Korea, South
(All screenshots in this post were taken from my Switch)
Since most mods work by replacing existing game assets, they tend to be cosmetic in nature.

2023062609053100.jpg

There are more complex mods but these involve using a custom DLL injector called RE:Framework, so these don't work on Switch (since Switch doesn't run on Windows, and DLLs are a Windows-specific thing).

However, there are certain Quality-of-Life improvement mods I can't live without that don't require RE:Framework, and these work perfectly on the Switch.

* Drop Rates Enhanced (choose from +50% to +300% enhanced target rewards), which drastically reduce the tedium of farming the same monster over and over again

* Monster Weakness Icon Indicator, which unobtrusively adds an icon on the top right of the monster graphic to visually tell you at a glance which major weaknesses each monster has. So you won't need to memorize or spend time opening up Hunter Notes to check.
2023062609034300.jpg

* Proper Infinite Consumables, which I don't use myself but makes ammo and consumables such as potions infinite so you can just focus on hunting the monster without keeping track of how much ammo/consumables are left

Essentially you can go through NexusMods, and use any mod that doesn't state RE:Framework as a requirement. Mods using Fluffy Manager 5000 are fully compatible with Switch, since all they do is replace game assets.

kraussian

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Korea, South
Here's a paraphrased and hopefully clearer version of the instructions.

[HOWTO] Install Monster Hunter Rise mods on Nintendo Switch​

Prerequisites​

Nexus Mods​

• Download any mod from Nexus Mods which doesn't state REFramework as a requirement
    • REFramework provides powerful modding capabilities such as HP overlays for monsters, but it works through hijacking the DirectInput DLL (dinput8.dll) to inject custom Lua scripts into MHR. Since Nintendo Switch doesn't run on Windows, this method cannot work
  • When downloading mods, make sure to download the ones packaged for Fluffy Manager. Do NOT download the .pak files

Instructions (Preparation)​

1. Create a new folder, and name it to something recognizable such as mhr_mods_switch
  2. Extract the contents of RiskPakPatch.zip (from Prerequisites) into this folder
  3. Copy the MHR Tex Chopper files into this folder, taking care to name them properly (the 0.3.0 version as Asterisk_MHR_Tex_Chopper_Switch.exe and the latest version as Asterisk_MHR_Tex_Chopper_PC.exe)
    1. This is because Asterisk has removed support for Nintendo Switch since v0.4.0, so we need one version for MHR Switch textures and another version for MHR PC textures
  4. Create a sub-folder under this folder and name it staging
  5. The folder structure should now look like this:
    Code:
    mhr_mods_switch
    ├─ staging
    ├─ Asterisk_MHR_Tex_Chopper_PC.exe
    ├─ Asterisk_MHR_Tex_Chopper_Switch.exe
    ├─ build-pak-patch.bat
    ├─ MurMur3.dll
    ├─ RiskPakPatch.exe
  6. Create a new file in the base mhr_mods_switch folder and name it chop.bat
  7. Open chop.bat in a text editor (such as Notepad), copy the following contents and save the file
    Code:
    setlocal enabledelayedexpansion
    rmdir /s/q out
    mkdir out
    xcopy /e/s/y %1 out
    move "out\natives\STM" "out\natives\NSW"
    for /r "out" %%i in (*.tex.28) do (
        set filename=%%i
        set filename=!filename:~0,-7!
        Asterisk_MHR_Tex_Chopper_pc.exe "%%i"
        Asterisk_MHR_Tex_Chopper_switch.exe "!filename!.dds"
        del "%%i"
        del "!filename!.dds"
        move "!filename!.tex" "!filename!.tex.28"
    )
    @pause
  8. Copy the natives folder of mods you want to install into the staging sub-folder. So the folder structure should now look like:
    Code:
    mhr_mods_switch
    ├─ staging
    |  ├─ natives
    ├─ build-pak-patch.bat
    ├─ chop.bat
    ├─ MurMur3.dll
    ├─ RiskPakPatch.exe

Instructions (Execution)​

1. Drag and drop the staging folder onto chop.bat.
    A terminal window will open up and run for some time (depending on how many mods you've placed under staging). When it's completed, you'll notice that a new out folder has been created under mhr_mods_switch
  2. Now drag and drop the out folder (NOT the staging folder!) onto build-pak-patch.bat.
    Another terminal window will open up and run for some time. When it's completed, you'll notice that a new file named re_chunk_00x.pak.patch_00y.pak has been created under mhr_mods_switch
  3. Rename re_chunk_00x.pak.patch_00y.pak to re_chunk_000.pak.patch_015.pak
    1. [Important Note] This filename depends on the version of MHR installed. patch_015.pak is for the current latest version (Ver.16), but will need to be increased (to 016, 017, etc.) as more MHR updates are released and installed
  4. Finally, copy the re_chunk_000.pak.patch_015.pak file to the SD card used for Switch, under \atmosphere\contents\0100B04011742000\romfs
  5. Launch MHR and enjoy! :D

Last edited by kraussian,

Danger00

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Prerequisites​

Nexus Mods​

• Download any mod from Nexus Mods which doesn't state REFramework as a requirement
    • REFramework provides powerful modding capabilities such as HP overlays for monsters, but it works through hijacking the DirectInput DLL (dinput8.dll) to inject custom Lua scripts into MHR. Since Nintendo Switch doesn't run on Windows, this method cannot work
  • When downloading mods, make sure to download the ones packaged for Fluffy Manager. Do NOT download the .pak files

1. Create a new folder, and name it to something recognizable such as mhr_mods_switch
  2. Extract the contents of RiskPakPatch.zip (from Prerequisites) into this folder
  3. Copy the MHR Tex Chopper files into this folder, taking care to name them properly (the 0.3.0 version as Asterisk_MHR_Tex_Chopper_Switch.exe and the latest version as Asterisk_MHR_Tex_Chopper_PC.exe)
    1. This is because Asterisk has removed support for Nintendo Switch since v0.4.0, so we need one version for MHR Switch textures and another version for MHR PC textures
    Code:
    mhr_mods_switch
    ├─ staging
    ├─ build-pak-patch.bat
    ├─ MurMur3.dll
    ├─ RiskPakPatch.exe
  7. Open chop.bat in a text editor (such as Notepad), copy the following contents and save the file
    Code:
    rmdir /s/q out
    mkdir out
    xcopy /e/s/y %1 out
        set filename=%%i
        del "%%i"
        del "!filename!.dds"
    )
    @pause
  8. Copy the natives folder of mods you want to install into the staging sub-folder. So the folder structure should now look like:
    Code:
    mhr_mods_switch
    ├─ staging
    |  ├─ natives
    ├─ build-pak-patch.bat
    ├─ chop.bat
    ├─ MurMur3.dll
    ├─ RiskPakPatch.exe

A terminal window will open up and run for some time (depending on how many mods you've placed under staging). When it's completed, you'll notice that a new out folder has been created under mhr_mods_switch
  2. Now drag and drop the out folder (NOT the staging folder!) onto build-pak-patch.bat.
    Another terminal window will open up and run for some time. When it's completed, you'll notice that a new file named re_chunk_00x.pak.patch_00y.pak has been created under mhr_mods_switch
  3. Rename re_chunk_00x.pak.patch_00y.pak to re_chunk_000.pak.patch_014.pak
  4. Finally, copy the re_chunk_000.pak.patch_014.pak file to the SD card used for Switch, under \atmosphere\contents\0100B04011742000\romfs

Thank you for the detailed guide, every time I load up MHR I am stuck at the loading screen, any fixes? I tried to implement the same mod your screenshot showcases being the "Shapely Twins" cosmetic mod.

kraussian

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Korea, South
Thank you for the detailed guide, every time I load up MHR I am stuck at the loading screen, any fixes? I tried to implement the same mod your screenshot showcases being the "Shapely Twins" cosmetic mod.
Have you installed the Ver.16 update (v2097152)? I have the same problem of being stuck at the loading screen when I install this. I suspect there's some incompatibility with Ver.16.
Try downgrading to Ver.15 (v1966080) in the meantime.

Reactions: giologic

Solder

Trophies
XP
Country
Korea, South
3. Rename re_chunk_00x.pak.patch_00y.pak to re_chunk_000.pak.patch_014.pak <-- Must start at 15

re_chunk_000.pak.patch_013.pak
re_chunk_000.pak.patch_015.pak
re_chunk_000.pak.patch_016.pak

Last edited by Solder,

kraussian

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Korea, South
3. Rename re_chunk_00x.pak.patch_00y.pak to re_chunk_000.pak.patch_014.pak <-- Must start at 15

re_chunk_000.pak.patch_013.pak
re_chunk_000.pak.patch_015.pak
re_chunk_000.pak.patch_016.pak
Thanks, you're right! It was the incorrect pak file number causing this issue :)

schaero

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
I have successfully ported Feminime Walking Animation and 3 of the Gehenna's EBB mod
Armors [EBB Hermitaur, EBB Nephilim, EBB Barbania, and grasdashy paradise Storge armor]
NPC [Hinoa & Minoto also working as you mentioned]

here's the video of walking animation from the original creator

Crowla33R

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Finally got it to work but the mod that replace the splash screen with modder's arts couldn't be converted for some reason (failed during the drop into chop.bat)

Basically anything that goes to natives\STM\gui\02_Title\Init\splash_MR_IM.tex.28

and

natives\STM\gui\02_Title\Init\splash_IM.tex.28

simply won't work. (the gui subfolder in the out folder will simply turn up empty)

Last edited by Crowla33R,

felmapiq

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia

Prerequisites​

Nexus Mods​

Code:
    mhr_mods_switch
    ├─ staging
    ├─ build-pak-patch.bat
    ├─ MurMur3.dll
    ├─ RiskPakPatch.exe
    Code:
    rmdir /s/q out
    mkdir out
    xcopy /e/s/y %1 out
        set filename=%%i
        del "%%i"
        del "!filename!.dds"
    )
    @pause
    Code:
    mhr_mods_switch
    ├─ staging
    |  ├─ natives
    ├─ build-pak-patch.bat
    ├─ chop.bat
    ├─ MurMur3.dll
    ├─ RiskPakPatch.exe

3. Rename re_chunk_00x.pak.patch_00y.pak to re_chunk_000.pak.patch_015.pak
    1. [Important Note] This filename depends on the version of MHR installed. patch_015.pak is for the current latest version (Ver.16), but will need to be increased (to 016, 017, etc.) as more MHR updates are released and installed
  4. Finally, copy the re_chunk_000.pak.patch_015.pak file to the SD card used for Switch, under \atmosphere\contents\0100B04011742000\romfs
Dear expert modder, I followed everything you wrote. The outcome of the file worked like a charm! But, Idk what's wrong, the mods doesn't work. May be I made mistake especially on renaming file? I'm on mhr 11.0.2 build id 9D9DBB8329D039C4B9CCEDxxx .. and this is my 1st try, please help. Thank you!!

edit: game update version 25 (v1638400)

Last edited by felmapiq,

kraussian

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Korea, South
Dear expert modder, I followed everything you wrote. The outcome of the file worked like a charm! But, Idk what's wrong, the mods doesn't work. May be I made mistake especially on renaming file? I'm on mhr 11.0.2 build id 9D9DBB8329D039C4B9CCEDxxx .. and this is my 1st try, please help. Thank you!!

edit: game update version 25 (v1638400)
v1638400 is a very old version, pre-Sunbreak expansion.

Is there any specific reason you're not upgrading to the latest v2228224 (v16.0.2) or v2162688 (v16.0.0)?

The main reason the mods aren't working should be because of the numbering scheme of the .PAK files. I'm not sure what the latest .PAK number for pre-Sunbreak would be, but try lowering the number on the filename to re_chunk_000.pak.patch_013.pak or re_chunk_000.pak.patch_012.pak and see if that works for you.

felmapiq

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
v1638400 is a very old version, pre-Sunbreak expansion.

Is there any specific reason you're not upgrading to the latest v2228224 (v16.0.2) or v2162688 (v16.0.0)?

The main reason the mods aren't working should be because of the numbering scheme of the .PAK files. I'm not sure what the latest .PAK number for pre-Sunbreak would be, but try lowering the number on the filename to re_chunk_000.pak.patch_013.pak or re_chunk_000.pak.patch_012.pak and see if that works for you.
Thank for replying. I don't play often games like MH, SAO, Skyrim, or BOTW/TOTK, that's why didn't update them yet. Especially when the update size is huge like MH. I am interested in modding game that I like, only a few though. I did it for ssbu moveset/skin mods, Ninja Gaiden graphic mods, and some mods on skyrim

I had tried renaming/lowering the number to 011 12 13, nothing change

My very questions are: should it be the latest update or specific update of the game? I read some mods on nexus requires other mods, should all that requirements be installed 1st too?

and, I though v16 is older than v25 but then I realized 16 means 16.0.0 and mine is 11.0.2 way too old indeed..

kraussian

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Korea, South
Thank for replying. I don't play often games like MH, SAO, Skyrim, or BOTW/TOTK, that's why didn't update them yet. Especially when the update size is huge like MH. I am interested in modding game that I like, only a few though. I did it for ssbu moveset/skin mods, Ninja Gaiden graphic mods, and some mods on skyrim

I had tried renaming/lowering the number to 011 12 13, nothing change

My very questions are: should it be the latest update or specific update of the game? I read some mods on nexus requires other mods, should all that requirements be installed 1st too?

and, I though v16 is older than v25 but then I realized 16 means 16.0.0 and mine is 11.0.2 way too old indeed..
The MHR updates aren't merely bug fixes, but adds on additional content especially the Sunbreak expansion which is almost an entire MHR-sized game by itself (new village, new monsters, weapons, armors, skills, etc.). So if you like MHR, I would highly recommend installing it.

I haven't tried installing mods for base MHR without the Sunbreak expansion but seeing as how the expansion itself is named re_chunk_000.pak.patch_001.pak, you might try naming the PAK file as 001 and see if that works.

If that still doesn't work, my other suspicion is that perhaps some of the mods you're trying to install are reliant on the extra content added by the Sunbreak expansion; similar to how some Skyrim mods require that you have Dawnguard, Dragonborn or Hearthfire expansions installed.

felmapiq

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
The MHR updates aren't merely bug fixes, but adds on additional content especially the Sunbreak expansion which is almost an entire MHR-sized game by itself (new village, new monsters, weapons, armors, skills, etc.). So if you like MHR, I would highly recommend installing it.

I haven't tried installing mods for base MHR without the Sunbreak expansion but seeing as how the expansion itself is named re_chunk_000.pak.patch_001.pak, you might try naming the PAK file as 001 and see if that works.

If that still doesn't work, my other suspicion is that perhaps some of the mods you're trying to install are reliant on the extra content added by the Sunbreak expansion; similar to how some Skyrim mods require that you have Dawnguard, Dragonborn or Hearthfire expansions installed.
Well then it's much better to update game to the latest version. I maybe do it later.

If it's latest version (for now 16.0.2), what should I rename my 1st mod pak? 015, 016, (with/without offline quest unlocker) someone even have rename like 099. just how much mods did he use, sigh.

kraussian

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Korea, South
Well then it's much better to update game to the latest version. I maybe do it later.

If it's latest version (for now 16.0.2), what should I rename my 1st mod pak? 015, 016, (with/without offline quest unlocker) someone even have rename like 099. just how much mods did he use, sigh.
I'm using 16.0.0 myself, because the latest update (16.0.2) doesn't appear to do anything except remove some event quests and promotional content (https://www.monsterhunter.com/rise-sunbreak/update/en-us/ver16_00_02.html).

On 16.0.0, the PAK file name is 015. So 16.0.2 might be 016 or 017 (since there's a 16.0.1 in-between).

I'm surprised that renaming it as 099 works for someone; it didn't work for me. From what I understand, the game reads PAK files sequentially from 001 and stops once there aren't any more. So for example if the latest official PAK is 014 and the mod is named 099, I don't think it will be loaded. But perhaps I'm mistaken.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Damn missed this one...