ROM Hack Monster hunter rise pc mods on switch

felmapiq

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
I'm using 16.0.0 myself, because the latest update (16.0.2) doesn't appear to do anything except remove some event quests and promotional content (https://www.monsterhunter.com/rise-sunbreak/update/en-us/ver16_00_02.html).

On 16.0.0, the PAK file name is 015. So 16.0.2 might be 016 or 017 (since there's a 16.0.1 in-between).

I'm surprised that renaming it as 099 works for someone; it didn't work for me. From what I understand, the game reads PAK files sequentially from 001 and stops once there aren't any more. So for example if the latest official PAK is 014 and the mod is named 099, I don't think it will be loaded. But perhaps I'm mistaken.
Since I'm a noob, maybe it's me who didn't understand about how things work.

If 16.0.0 is easier to try modding, then I should update to that version.

Thank for your great tutorial! Sorry if I made any inconveniences. Have a nice day!

kraussian

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Korea, South
Since I'm a noob, maybe it's me who didn't understand about how things work.

If 16.0.0 is easier to try modding, then I should update to that version.

Thank for your great tutorial! Sorry if I made any inconveniences. Have a nice day!
You're welcome and hope you succeed in modding!

BTW v16.0.0 isn't necessarily easier or harder to mod, it's just that I've last updated to that version last year and didn't feel the need to install further upgrades. If you install a later update, all you should need to do is play around with the PAK file number to find one that works.

Reactions: felmapiq

felmapiq

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
You're welcome and hope you succeed in modding!

BTW v16.0.0 isn't necessarily easier or harder to mod, it's just that I've last updated to that version last year and didn't feel the need to install further upgrades. If you install a later update, all you should need to do is play around with the PAK file number to find one that works.
I'll keep that in mind.

ChoaReform

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for the awesome instruction. Does this require modded switch to begin with? Or does it work with any Switch?

Is there any precaution to avoid gettimg bricked like maybe I shouldn't go online?

Thanks!!

kraussian

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Korea, South
Thanks for the awesome instruction. Does this require modded switch to begin with? Or does it work with any Switch?

Is there any precaution to avoid gettimg bricked like maybe I shouldn't go online?

Thanks!!
Yes, modding any Switch game relies on LayeredFS (Layered File System) which is a feature offered by Atmosphere, so it will only work on modded machines. It essentially adds a "layer" on top of the file system, so that Switch will read in the modded files instead of the default files of the game.

Going online with any game on a CFW (Custom Firmware) will result in a ban, but it won't brick your Switch.

In fact, I think the risk of bricking your Switch just by installing mods will be almost close to zero, since all it does is replace certain files of the game with custom/modded ones.

Hope these answered your questions.

ChoaReform

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes, modding any Switch game relies on LayeredFS (Layered File System) which is a feature offered by Atmosphere, so it will only work on modded machines. It essentially adds a "layer" on top of the file system, so that Switch will read in the modded files instead of the default files of the game.

Going online with any game on a CFW (Custom Firmware) will result in a ban, but it won't brick your Switch.

In fact, I think the risk of bricking your Switch just by installing mods will be almost close to zero, since all it does is replace certain files of the game with custom/modded ones.

Hope these answered your questions.
Thank you so much for the quick reply :) You are awesome 😍

OneStep

Trophies
XP
Country
Hong Kong
the mod i wanna use have Requirements of Fluffy Mod Manager. just wonder do i need that for switch modding ??

and if i have more that 1 mod .. i should change the number on re_chunk_00x.pak.patch_00y.pak , change X or Y ??? when Y is the version number

so should be this :
re_chunk_000.pak.patch_015.pak
re_chunk_000.pak.patch_016.pak

or
re_chunk_001.pak.patch_015.pak

Last edited by OneStep,

kraussian

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Korea, South
the mod i wanna use have Requirements of Fluffy Mod Manager. just wonder do i need that for switch modding ??

and if i have more that 1 mod .. i should change the number on re_chunk_00x.pak.patch_00y.pak , change X or Y ??? when Y is the version number

so should be this :
re_chunk_000.pak.patch_016.pak

or
re_chunk_001.pak.patch_015.pak

Fluffy Mod Manager shouldn't be a hard requirement, as it's just a tool to make it (much) more convenient to install mods on PC. I always use Fluffy myself because it makes so much easier to choose which mod overwrites which (in case multiple mods are modifying the same armor, for example).

No matter how many mods you have, they should all be packed into a single .PAK file using the steps I've outlined. The X number should not be changed, only the Y.

Hope this helps!

OneStep

Trophies
XP
Country
Hong Kong
Fluffy Mod Manager shouldn't be a hard requirement, as it's just a tool to make it (much) more convenient to install mods on PC. I always use Fluffy myself because it makes so much easier to choose which mod overwrites which (in case multiple mods are modifying the same armor, for example).

No matter how many mods you have, they should all be packed into a single .PAK file using the steps I've outlined. The X number should not be changed, only the Y.

Hope this helps!
great !!!! thanks for the clear answer .... so i guess my mod not working is becoz of i'm using 16.0.2 T^T

the only 2 mod i use / test is the item drop rate (Anomaly Rewards Enhanced and Drop Rates Enhanced)

i didn't stuck from the loading screen, but it doesn't look like it work aswell

kraussian

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Korea, South
great !!!! thanks for the clear answer .... so i guess my mod not working is becoz of i'm using 16.0.2 T^T

the only 2 mod i use / test is the item drop rate (Anomaly Rewards Enhanced and Drop Rates Enhanced)

i didn't stuck from the loading screen, but it doesn't look like it work aswell
16.0.2 shouldn't stop you from using mods. What's the filename for the PAK file you're using?

You can try re_chunk_000.pak.patch_016.pak or re_chunk_000.pak.patch_017.pak and see if they work.

Reactions: VC1

OneStep

Trophies
XP
Country
Hong Kong
16.0.2 shouldn't stop you from using mods. What's the filename for the PAK file you're using?

You can try re_chunk_000.pak.patch_016.pak or re_chunk_000.pak.patch_017.pak and see if they work.
finally i test around 10 stages , the drop rate and the broken part drop rate is unchanged...

2 of my mod is start from re_chunk_000.pak.patch_017.pak and re_chunk_000.pak.patch_018.pak

coz when i start at re_chunk_000.pak.patch_016.pak, it will stuck at the black loading screen
when start from re_chunk_000.pak.patch_015.pak, it will stuck at loading screen with image

really have no idea ...

should i try with the outlook mod or npc mod first ?? to make sure it work first ?

VC1

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi, I tried the files re_chunk_000.pak.patch_017.pak - which may increase rewards a bit (not sure if it works), and re_chunk_000.pak.patch_018.pak that gives you infinite item and ammo usage. I'm on 16.0.2 and put them into atmosphere > contents > 0100B04011742000 > RomFs

But after completing the quest, the 18 pak freezes the loading screen, causes error and closes game. I tried doing the one 18 pak by itself after renaming it 17, and same thing. Any idea how to get just the 18 pak working Please?

Last edited by VC1,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Probably combined in one chip
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    They place married security chips onto boards iirc
    Damn Frontier is offering 5Gbps now lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I honestly can't recommend any of the big 3 this years I'd say buy a rog ally z1 if we're being honest
    Honestly after the PS3 and 360 I just went full PC
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Every games basically cross platform they only have about 6 titles making it worth the $600 price tag
    Didn't see much need for a console, all the advantages have kind of disappeared
  • ColdBlitz @ ColdBlitz:
    the ps3 used to support installing linux because the cpu was so powerful
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Then the games are $70 and they want to reboot and refresh the same game every year
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    The ps3 was always Linux they just found a way to make it open source
  • ColdBlitz @ ColdBlitz:
    I'm avoiding buying from the big 3 at all atm
    At one point PC game pads where poorly supported, loading a game had setup, it was complicated. Now it's almost as easy as a console.
  • ColdBlitz @ ColdBlitz:
    nintendo needs to up their game soon
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Yeah even bt support for Xbox one controllers are just as easy as pairing
    +1
  • ColdBlitz @ ColdBlitz:
    considering the steamdeck can emulate the switch (yikes) theres almost 0 reason to buy the switch apart from playing online and using cartridges
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Xinput and 360 dongles were a driver nightmare
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I remember having to manually put in drivers and what not
    Yeah the 360 dongles sucked
    But the new Xbox pads? PIr it up and if a game supports it it just works
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Most emulators even automatically detect them now
    Yeah it's a good time to be alive lol
    Pi4 and Batocera works with them perfectly too
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'd like to see future tap to pair options like you hold it over a scanner and it just automatically pairs
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    No need for additional cords buttons or anything
    Hmmm yeah that is possible BT has an address like an IP
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Hmmm yeah that is possible BT has an address like an IP