more/better categories of "other handhelds"

romanaOne

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The sub-categories of "Other Handhelds" "are really out of date. Dingoo and GamePark are long dead, bordline impossible to find, and are super expensive on that cold day in hell when you spot one on eBay. However, there appear to be many new ARM and MIPS SoC handhelds that are still alive. With the exception of really old stuff, maybe it makes more sense to classify by more or less by architecture? For example:

• Classics: Nintendo GameBoy this-and-that, Game Gear, Wonderswan, Neo Geo Pocket
  • Ancient PDAs: Zaurus, Palm, PocketPC, Agenda VR, Psion could all run emulators, but it generally wasn't easy....
  • MIPS: RG350, but also includes GCW0, Dingoo, and LDK/Retrogames
  • ARM: OGA/RK2020, OpenPandora, GP2X, but also underpowered junk like Bittboy/PocketGo/Powkiddy

Last edited by romanaOne,

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
Moved to the suggestions section, since it'll be more likely to be seen here.

I'd agree the categories need to be updated for sure, but not quite with your suggestions TBH. I would agree with "Classics" definitely, and then maybe add subsections for GBA, GB/C, and then maybe an AIO for Game Gear/Wonderswan/NGP (since those probably don't see much active discussion these days).

But I'm not so sure we need categories for MIPS-based handhelds, given there's really only going to be like maybe 3 or 4 devices with a MIPS CPU that you could really talk about. I think it would be better to label just one big subsection, maybe as just "Linux-based" handhelds which would cover both MIPS and ARM-based handhelds, and then anything in-between that's probably also not worth an entire section for. Maybe stickies could be made for like ANBERNIC stuff and PocketGO stuff, or entire subsections if the stickies get totally overwhelmed.

I don't think PDA's need a section at all, I can't say I've really seen anyone who really went hardcore into discussing those here and creating sections for something with no discussion is useless IMO.

And the GPD section that already exists should just be scrapped altogether really, has basically nothing in it :lol:

As for a section for SBCs, maybe a sub-section in the Computers sections I suppose, but I still don't think there's enough activity on SBCs in general to create an entire section for TBH given that SBCs are still just computers and any thread about them can easily fit in any of the PC sections. But maybe a separate subsection for just SBC may be doable.

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
Thanks Tom, I really think an SBC subsection of the Computers forum would really help alot of people out, me included. It would also generate TONS of traffic to the site, which is what we want, yeah?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: super monkey ball