Hacking Hardware Picofly - a HWFLY switch modchip

psycho-neon

Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
Just to add with the mosfet, make sure to use awg34 or 32 (thicker wire) for the drain. I use 34awg and works everytime. I had issues with 36 or 40awg for drain based on my experience.

MrScopi

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
And yes, it is working good with instant glitch.Just follow the image above and you will be good. Dont forget to isolate with kapton tape in the end.

Well, I switched to the front and still ==*.

Just to add with the mosfet, make sure to use awg34 or 32 (thicker wire) for the drain.

...but I will try switching the wire to a larger gauge before complaining too much :)

PXL_20240221_170324140.jpg

All points make correct continuity, this photo was taken after I reopened so I haven't tidied the thermal paste.

MrScopi

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, while trying to change the wires I broke the CPU cap. I guess that ends this adventure! Thanks again for all your help friends, appreciate it!

PXL_20240221_193819448.jpg

QuiTim

Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
Well, while trying to change the wires I broke the CPU cap. I guess that ends this adventure! Thanks again for all your help friends, appreciate it!

Switch works without that cap. You can also replace that cap with ones found on rp2040 board.
Don't give up, remove everything, clean everything, start over.
Seems that you need better tools or skills (or both).
Use 0.1-0.5 solder tip, use led based solder wire, good flux. Use 350°-400° temperature for short period of time (don't overheat the components or the board). For Source connection use apu shield instead of the square point on the apu itself.
Try to avoid using magnet (enameled) wire, if you don't have experience with it you might end up with cold joint or a short somewhere, use 36-40awg pfa or ptfe or silicone wire.
Good luck

MrScopi

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Switch works without that cap. You can also replace that cap with ones found on rp2040 board.
Don't give up, remove everything, clean everything, start over.
Seems that you need better tools or skills (or both).
Use 0.1-0.5 solder tip, use led based solder wire, good flux. Use 350°-400° temperature for short period of time (don't overheat the components or the board). For Source connection use apu shield instead of the square point on the apu itself.
Try to avoid using magnet (enameled) wire, if you don't have experience with it you might end up with cold joint or a short somewhere, use 36-40awg pfa or ptfe or silicone wire.
Good luck
I think I'll put in an order with digikey and use the shipping time to cool my heels.

There is definitely a skill issue, but I want to learn and this particular switch was already in rough cosmetic shape so it's as good a test bed as anything.

Tools are a cobbled together set that I'm upgrading as I go, but I think I'm mostly limited by ability.

Stripping the cap was a mishandled tweezer trying to bend the wire already soldered to the cap. I thought I had it pinned with one set, but it wasn't actually pinched. Doh!

Reactions: QuiTim

nuage83

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I spent two hours yesterday on a console.

Error ==*

I tested different mosfets.

In the end the error came from the fact that I was using a chip that was already used on another console.

By changing the chip, it starts perfectly.

deeps

Trophies
XP
Country
I spent two hours yesterday on a console.

Error ==*

I tested different mosfets.

In the end the error came from the fact that I was using a chip that was already used on another console.

By changing the chip, it starts perfectly.

you can force reset the chip by connecting pin0 to gnd on power-on. might have saved you the swap

Viktorsilva

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Here are some examples of the installation I did today on a customer's OLED switch.

I always follow the same basic electronics principles in a fusion of knowledge acquired in this forum on the best tips for a successful installation.Said that, lets begin :

I always start by removing the metal protection from the CPU with a needle tip and being very careful not to damage any of the components around the metal fittings. Then glue the mosfet aligned with the soldering points (Source and Drain)

image9.jpeg

I always start by removing the metal protection from the CPU with a needle tip and being very careful not to damage any of the components around the metal fittings. Then glue the mosfet aligned with the soldering points (Source and Drain)

image8.jpeg

I keep the wire that connects the source to the capacitor very short and always use the cpu metal shield for the grd connection (30 AWG for both). It doesn't take me more than 10 minutes to complete this part of the installation. The result is this:

image7.jpeg

Now, just isolate these connections with kapton, place thermal paste on top of the CPU core and close the metal protection shield. Now moving to the Dat0 point over kamikaze. Mark the right spot to slowly start drilling and go for it. I prefer to remove the 2 layers and then look for the under shadow of the ~Dat0 via wich you can already spot on this image. now i can be more acurate to expose the circle "head" of the via:

image6 (1).jpeg

image5 (3).jpeg

then, solder mask all over the grd connections, and a litle bit of flux on the copper circle.I always choose the magetic wire for CMD, CLK, DAT0 e RESET because its a very thin wire and prevents damage to any of the soldered components such as small capacitors, resistors or small pads

image4 (3).jpeg

First, I solder all the wires to the points and only at the end do I connect them to the picofly. I always recommend that you glue the magnetic wires to the motherboard as protective anchors in order to protect these fragile connections (some people accidentally pull the wires and break the paths\components to which they were soldered). Now let's install Modchip...

image1 (3).jpeg

I always follow this installation model and have already done dozens of installations without ever having (to date) a malfunction like a purple screen or something like that. I leave a test video with instant boot of 2 seconds using only 1 mosfet connected to 1 capacitor only.

I hope this advice helps some of you to be successful in your installations and electronics projects :)
Post automatically merged:

who installed picofly to unpatched v1 before? worked?
Many times. final result identical to V2

I completely agree with this important detail mentioned by @QuiTim
Post automatically merged:

Well, I switched to the front and still ==*.

...but I will try switching the wire to a larger gauge before complaining too much :)

All points make correct continuity, this photo was taken after I reopened so I haven't tidied the thermal paste.
Those solder joints look fragile :( . Dont mind with the broken capacitor. I've seen several cases of people who still managed to glitch their consoles even after damaging the capacitor.

Last edited by Viktorsilva,

Silver_Wolfy

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Sorry if I don't use the forum correctly, it's the first time I've posted something.

I already installed the rp2040 to my console. I have already installed before, but now I had a problem. The chip light flashed 2 long times and one short time. But I already changed the flex twice. Now place the mosfet on the back of the board but everything is the same.

Note: Already console was fine. But I left him downloading a game at night and the next morning he wouldn't enter the hack.

Note 2: I also changed the chip and everything remains the same.

Note: 3. currently I have ==*

Attachments

• 20240222_185335.jpg
    20240222_185335.jpg
    279.3 KB · Views: 22
  • 20240222_185325.jpg
    20240222_185325.jpg
    288.6 KB · Views: 13

QuiTim

Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
Sorry if I don't use the forum correctly, it's the first time I've posted something.

I already installed the rp2040 to my console. I have already installed before, but now I had a problem. The chip light flashed 2 long times and one short time. But I already changed the flex twice. Now place the mosfet on the back of the board but everything is the same.

Note: Already console was fine. But I left him downloading a game at night and the next morning he wouldn't enter the hack.

Can you post a better picture of mosfet solderin (from little further away) because i am not able to see good.
I dont think you are using these points:

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240223_191553_Adobe Acrobat.jpg
    Screenshot_20240223_191553_Adobe Acrobat.jpg
    1,004 KB · Views: 23
  • Screenshot_20240223_191540_Adobe Acrobat.jpg
    Screenshot_20240223_191540_Adobe Acrobat.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 20
  • Screenshot_20240223_191525_Adobe Acrobat.jpg
    Screenshot_20240223_191525_Adobe Acrobat.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 19
Reactions: susi91

Viktorsilva

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal

hey guys. Looking at this installation, I wonder if:

- if any point-to-point continuity test was carried out (very important to determine whether the magnet wire was stripped at the connection points)

-What is the console model?

- Was the removal of the CPU flex done well?

-Are these points you are using on the back of the motherboard? Can you take a photo from further away to see better?

emuman100

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Glad to ear it :) .Want to share some pic´s of it? Thanks

Sure!

Here are some images of the Lite with a hwfly lite installed running picofly 2.73:
IMG_3870.jpeg
IMG_3871.jpeg
IMG_4042.jpeg

Here are some images of the Mariko V2 with hwfly core installed running picofly 2.73:
IMG_4108.jpeg
IMG_4100.jpeg

Glitching works quite well on both and after the first learning process, glitching usually takes less than 3 seconds. Thank you again for your hard work!

Viktorsilva

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Sure!

Here are some images of the Lite with a hwfly lite installed running picofly 2.73:
View attachment 422096View attachment 422097View attachment 422098

Here are some images of the Mariko V2 with hwfly core installed running picofly 2.73:
View attachment 422100View attachment 422102

Glitching works quite well on both and after the first learning process, glitching usually takes less than 3 seconds. Thank you again for your hard work!
great job ! it looks very clean :)

Reactions: emuman100

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Thought I saw my ex on that new kingdom of the Apes poster