ROM Hack Super Mario 64 DS with Analog Controls on 3DS?

newtzrcool

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I want to play Super Mario 64 DS, but playing it on 3DS with no analog control is REALLY annoying.
Is there a rom hack that adds analog (no slow turning and no need for run button) support to the game on 3DS? I play the game using Twilight Menu ++.
It would also be cool if the camera was controlled with the C-Stick.

I am aware that there is a 3ds port of the original game, I already have it, but I want to play DS because it seems like the definitive edition.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
It is really not the definitive edition. They made some minor tweaks but doing the "I played Mario 64" bit and saying you only did the DS version is going to get some raised eyebrows. That might change a bit if you had good controls but eh.

Anyway I very much doubt there will be a ROM hack. The way Twilight menu and such work mean it has more limited access to the hardware (effectively becoming a DS) and even if you did it would be a considerable hack to get feeling good.

Indeed if you absolutely must do the DS version additions on the 3ds I would sooner take the code, recreate the handful of extras the DS version has (the few other characters are more or less the hats of the original made into their own characters)
https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/ds/920758-super-mario-64-ds/faqs/35127

TheCasualties

Just trying to be helpful
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
What I did when playing it on my DS was create a "thumb ring" out of tape, and use it on the touch pad. It's not ideal but It's much better than using the d-pad (or stick converted to d-pad)

I took some tape and folded it in half length wise and also into a loop, fitting my left thumb. Then added bits of tape to one section of the ring to make a bump. Basically made a pyramid/mound with the tape that worked well on the touch pad. It's almost as good as using an analogue stick.. kind of.

If you want or need more detail let me know and I can maybe help with pictures or something.

Last edited by TheCasualties,

ren_leung

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Just wanna say I agree. I would pay to have SM64DS with updated graphics and stereoscopic 3D, compatible with circle pad and c-stick camera.

headspacetheace

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Just wanna say I agree. I would pay to have SM64DS with updated graphics and stereoscopic 3D, compatible with circle pad and c-stick camera.
I wouldn't be surprised if ppl are working on a version of the sm64 decomp that includes all the ds additions, I for one am gonna snag it up in a second when it drops, nevermind if that version gets ported to 3ds too

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @MysticStarlight, although whatever device we plug into them stops getting power anyways lol
  • MysticStarlight @ MysticStarlight:
    that's weird
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @MysticStarlight, and oh i was talking about ups
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    No not that one
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Surge protectors are what i was talking about
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Yea I got confused for a bit
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    @Xdqwerty literally juan:
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    On the series s/x you can use a external HD but any next gen games must be on your internal ssd, or you can buy a ssd expansion card, but pricey. Any xbone, 360, or og Xbox games can be played from external tho.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Series §€×
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Insert **** here
    +2
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    What a tiny memory card
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Rumble packs are important
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Make sure it's fully charged
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    I remember someone made a vibrating Wiimote homebrew lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Well you and bigonya love to sword fight your wiimotes
    +3
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    classic controller funky kong flame runner is overrated, i prefer wii wheel wario flame runner
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    i returned
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'm happy its first person.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    All big titles should offer first and 3rd person it's been a thing since like gtaV
    +2
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I've been playing Killer Clowns from Outer Space all day, is pretty fun. Basically Friday 13th but with clowns. One of my favorite b rated movies from way back.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, is it a game or a movie? get decided!
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Its a game based off the old movie
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It's a down scene with slow drums
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: It's a down scene with slow drums