Hardware What kind of 3D do you think the 3DS will have?

How?

• Camera or tilt based tracking

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Special type of screen

• Other

• Total voters

Zarxrax

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
There has been a lot of speculation about the 3DS, but we still don't even know how the 3D will be implemented.
Some people have pointed to a DSi game as an example of how Nintendo will choose to implement the 3D effect: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p3lDoVwEmts
Others think that it will use a special type of screen to provide an effect similar to that you see when you watch 3d movies like Avatar.
But, maybe nintendo will take a completely different route altogether! Perhaps they have found some way to utilize the 2 screens together to create a 3d effect? Or something that no one has even thought of yet?

Wii_Manic

Trophies
XP
Country
Maybe they will use the same or same style tech as the FinePix REAL 3D W1? Its a camera that apparently lets you take and view pics without wearing any funny looking glasses, just with its screen. Just My Opinion.

Zarxrax

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Personally, I think they will go with the DSi style implementation.
For one, it actually opens up new gameplay possibilities, rather than just being something that looks fancy.
And two, it would be possible without them having to add any extra cost (a special screen).

LOL, I accidentally voted for the wrong option on my own poll
tongue.gif

morphius

The King of the Cosmos
Trophies
Website
pachimod.blogspot.com
XP
Country
United States
Zarxrax said:
Personally, I think they will go with the DSi style implementation.
For one, it actually opens up new gameplay possibilities, rather than just being something that looks fancy.
And two, it would be possible without them having to add any extra cost (a special screen).

LOL, I accidentally voted for the wrong option on my own poll
tongue.gif

then why bother with a new unit when the current unit is perfectly able?

Zarxrax

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
morphius said:
Because the DSi implementation probably uses a lot of the CPU in order to produce the effect. It may not be feasible to have it in most games on the DSi hardware. New hardware will be more powerful, and they could optimize it and maybe even have it done completely on hardware. Also, maybe there are some problems with simply using the camera to track the user (I haven't tried that demo). But if the 3DS has tilt sensors, that could probably help improve it.
Also, not everyone has a DSi, so they can't really force DS developers to use a 3d effect in all of their DS games.

It's not uncommon for Nintendo to play around with technologies before implementing them in their later hardware.

Sonicslasher

In Law we trust.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Zarxrax said:
morphius said:
Because the DSi implementation probably uses a lot of the CPU in order to produce the effect. It may not be feasible to have it in most games on the DSi hardware. New hardware will be more powerful, and they could optimize it and maybe even have it done completely on hardware. Also, maybe there are some problems with simply using the camera to track the user (I haven't tried that demo). But if the 3DS has tilt sensors, that could probably help improve it.
Also, not everyone has a DSi, so they can't really force DS developers to use a 3d effect in all of their DS games.

It's not uncommon for Nintendo to play around with technologies before implementing them in their later hardware.
original.jpg

Arwen20

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think it will have a special screen. If it was based solely on the camera, why create an entirely new system? Both the DSi and DSi XL have a camera. I think 3D technology is exciting, and I can't wait to see it on a handheld.

ByteMunch

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Sonicslasher said:
Hop2089 said:
It's going to use a scaled down version of technology used in the 3D TVs that will hit the market.
That's not true considering you won't be needing glasses for the 3DS.

Yeah, can't remember where I read it (Maybe ONM) But it may have a Parallax Barrier, and this dosen't work on larger screens. Sorry no source
frown.gif

_Chaz_

GBAtemp's Official Mook™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
GundamXXX said:
Mwahaha

Neither screen or whatever.. Think Star Wars/Star Trek and think..... HOLOGRAMS

How wicked would THAT be
biggrin.gif

"Shit, I scratched my holo-screen and need to replace it...
Oh, no... Wait, it's reforming... We're okay."

GundamXXX

Ergo Ego
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
_Chaz_ said:
GundamXXX said:
Mwahaha

Neither screen or whatever.. Think Star Wars/Star Trek and think..... HOLOGRAMS

How wicked would THAT be
biggrin.gif

"Shit, I scratched my holo-screen and need to replace it...
Oh, no... Wait, it's reforming... We're okay."

Precisly!
tongue.gif

The holoscreen would be similar to OLED but more O then LED so that it can take the almost dead skin cells form your hands to restructure itself.... *dreams abit more*

B

BryceOne

Anyone ever been to Disneyland's Innoventions? On the top floor, there is this driving simulator (I think it's called Super Driver). It looks like it's 2 screens placed on top of each other, each displaying their own images (could be glass with an image projected on it). You can see through the top screen to the bottom screen, and it has this 3D effect to it. The 3DS could implement something similar to this.

GundamXXX

Ergo Ego
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
BryceOne said:
Anyone ever been to Disneyland's Innoventions? On the top floor, there is this driving simulator (I think it's called Super Driver). It looks like it's 2 screens placed on top of each other, each displaying their own images (could be glass with an image projected on it). You can see through the top screen to the bottom screen, and it has this 3D effect to it. The 3DS could implement something similar to this.

This would require front on vision as in you need to look straight at it. Itll either hurt your neck from looking down or hurt your arms from keeping it straight op at you or at a certain angle. If this IS the way I dont think Ill get it. I like to freehand my DS on weird angles whilst roaming on my coach/bed

TheDarkSeed

I'm a pretentious sack of shit
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think it will have an accelerometer as well as a special screen. but were talking about Nintendo here, they disappointed me with the release of the dsiXL. And I don't think the games will be pure 3d. some game designers will half-ass it by putting 2d figures in a 3d environment. that's a fail.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @The Real Jdbye, tbh the HD collections are more justified since they include more than just 1 game per copy
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ I read that non-binary people identify as a blend of male and female. The point is i think i'm a blend of those and thus non binary
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Xdqwerty, Non-binary people are those who don't identify themselves exclusively as male or female.
  • cearp @ cearp:
    I don't identify as anything, unless I need to get on a plane then I show ID
    +3
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    👈 [homo, queer, fag, coksuqr, etc......]
    +3
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, I meant that I read that they can also identify as what i mentioned
    +2
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I identify as Long Rod Johnson, cause a cat called me that once.
    +2
    [takes a 👀 in your pants] Liar :angry:
    +3
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, and thus that would make me non binary since i feel like a blend of both male and female
    +1
    @Xdqwerty only time will tell, what/whom you are. At 14, its a bit early to "Define" yourself. :)
    +3
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    I only recently have learned who I am and how much I am capable of and I'm 50 lol
    +3
    A thousand epiphanies and unbelievable pain and growth.
    +2
    I wish I could sum it up for children to understand but it truly takes living a lifetime of learning
    +2
    It's more than knowledge it's understanding
    +1
    Both are required
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @Psionic Roshambo, ask chatgpt or Google gémini to summarize it
    Lol summarize life's lessons
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    My wifey tells me all the time "You need to grow the fuck up." Which I don't understand, cause I'm full grown already.
    +2
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, she means grow more
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Yawn
    farrrrrrrrrrrt
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    @AncientBoi I imagine it don't make the fart sound anymore, probably sounds more like letting go of a balloon you just blew up.
    +3
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @BigOnYa, Tell her to grow a pair. :rofl2:
    +1
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @BigOnYa, Tell her to grow a pair. :rofl2: +1