Hardware What kind of 3D do you think the 3DS will have?

How?

• Camera or tilt based tracking

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Special type of screen

• Other

• Total voters

GundamXXX

Ergo Ego
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
xcdjy said:
It would be a total anticlimax to me if Nintendo used the sort of 3D shown in the recent DSiWare release as a selling point for a whole new handheld... though it wouldn't surprise me.

If they would do that they would lose respect of all gamers and Sony would never let it go... ever. Theres a saying "High trees catch alot of wind" meaning big shots like Nintendo get all the attention, for good and for bad

Bumpman

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Saddamsdevil said:
I think it will be motion tracking, but I seriously HOPE its a special screen that defies everything we know.
Well considering it said that it had the paralax barrier, I think it will be some weird combo of both that makes it litterally POP OUT of the screen.
Not like that one phone that a lady can walk out of, but you know what I mean.

Destructobot

Crave the Hammer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Let's think about this for a minute. Are we talking about a company like Sony or Microsoft that brings out high end systems with expensive new technology that they have to sell for a loss, or are we talking about Nintendo, the company that brings out low end systems with cheap technology that they can sell for a profit? I don't think it's going to have some magical new screen technology straight out of Area 51.

That parallax barrier thing sounds neat, but after seeing the DSi XL developers talk at length about how much they think the better viewing angle on the DSi XL improves the system, I can't see Nintendo implementing something that will make the viewing angle worse than ever before, with no potential to improve it in a future revision of the system. Not to mention that tilt/motion control would be impossible with such a display.

I think it will be a DSi type system built around a Tegra chip and a higher resolution display, with some built in motion sensor crap so that it will have even more games that focus on gimmicky controls than the DS does. I just hope they put in a decent sound chip this time.

GundamXXX

Ergo Ego
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Destructobot said:
Let's think about this for a minute. Are we talking about a company like Sony or Microsoft that brings out high end systems with expensive new technology that they have to sell for a loss, or are we talking about Nintendo, the company that brings out low end systems with cheap technology that they can sell for a profit? I don't think it's going to have some magical new screen technology straight out of Area 51.

That parallax barrier thing sounds neat, but after seeing the DSi XL developers talk at length about how much they think the better viewing angle on the DSi XL improves the system, I can't see Nintendo implementing something that will make the viewing angle worse than ever before, with no potential to improve it in a future revision of the system. Not to mention that tilt/motion control would be impossible with such a display.

I think it will be a DSi type system built around a Tegra chip and a higher resolution display, with some built in motion sensor crap so that it will have even more games that focus on gimmicky controls than the DS does. I just hope they put in a decent sound chip this time.

Wow wow wow, hold it. Nintendo is selling lower-end consoles yes Id have to agree BUT its never cheap technology. Everyone thought that the DS would fail because "games with touchscreens? Wtf you going to do with that!" and then the Wii "They can never make something 100% motion based! Thats stupid!" and Nintendo showed everyone didnt they? I think the same with the 3DS. Itll baffle everyone.

Remember that Nintendo and Samsun are partners. And seeing as Samsung is the ONLY TV manufacturer that can make REAL 3D tv's. Im going to guess itll be something like OLED with a certain filter on it and it AINT cheap technology trust me ;p

TM2-Megatron

Predacon Commander
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Destructobot said:

Parallax Barrier LCDs aren't exactly "magical new technology straight out of Area 51". Sharp developed theirs throughout the early 90s.

Destructobot

Crave the Hammer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
You people are missing all of my points. Nintendo doesn't use expensive new technology (they're already outselling the PSP with cheaper tech, do you think they're stupid?), so it won't be a new type of screen, it will be some standard LCD display. The parallax barrier is cheap enough, but the viewing angle makes it incompatible with the kind of system they've already stated the next handheld would be (motion/tilt based control, at least to some extent). It will be standard technology, and the 3D will be a gimmick of some sort, not true 3D like you get with the parallax barrier or displays that require glasses. It might be a good gimmick, but a gimmick none the less.

Does this mean it will suck? No, it doesn't. It just means you aren't going to get a magical $9,999,999.99 system for $249.99, or whatever they end up selling it for.

TM2-Megatron

Predacon Commander
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Destructobot said:
You people are missing all of my points. Nintendo doesn't use expensive new technology (they're already outselling the PSP with cheaper tech, do you think they're stupid?), so it won't be a new type of screen, it will be some standard LCD display. The parallax barrier is cheap enough, but the viewing angle makes it incompatible with the kind of system they've already stated the next handheld would be (motion/tilt based control, at least to some extent). It will be standard technology, and the 3D will be a gimmick of some sort, not true 3D like you get with the parallax barrier or displays that require glasses. It might be a good gimmick, but a gimmick none the less.

Does this mean it will suck? No, it doesn't. It just means you aren't going to get a magical $9,999,999.99 system for $249.99, or whatever they end up selling it for.

You're exagerating how advanced Parallax Barrier LCDs are... they're cool, but they're by no means brand new or super-expensive tech. And unless you've seen one in operation, in person, I don't see how you can make any claims about the viewing angle. I'm sure the viewing angle will be more than sufficient for a handheld-sized screen that a person views pretty close-up. As far as tilt functions go, this won't be how Nintendo goes... or that would've been the subject of their press release.... but they focused on the 3-D without glasses, instead.

Personally (and I don't think I'm alone), I have no desire to wave the bloody thing around like an idiot when I'm playing out in public on the train, or a plane, or under a tree at the park, or wherever else I might go. And despite owning all the past Nintendo handhelds, I wouldn't buy the 3DS if that's how the 3-D is implemented, for that single reason alone. Nintendo isn't going to go with this type of 3-D, so I don't see why you keep trying to argue the point.

G

GentleFist

i remember i once saw a 3d tv without having to use glasses at a local shop, they might still have them but it didn't look very good

i don't really like the 3d thingy in cinemas the 3d is just plain annoying and sometimes moving things look blurry i rather enjoy high end resolution well and the 3d tvs i saw were even more annoying...

but i guess its going to be something similar

the dsi tilt 3d looks pretty cool id prefer that,

but regardless how it will be ill get it anyway cause of my fanboy-syndrome

Rayder

Mostly lurking lately....
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I still think it will be the head tracking deal. Seems like it would be the easiest way to create a 3D effect cheaply, and it wouldn't cut anyone out from seeing the 3D effect just because they may be blind in one eye. Maybe they needed to create a new system (3DS) to add just a little more power (maybe even a CPU that runs independently from the games) to the system so the effect will be usable in all sorts of games (maybe even older ones?) and not just a simple game like what we saw in the head-tracking vid.

Livin in a box

Livin' in a cardboard box
Trophies
XP
Country
Rayder said:
I still think it will be the head tracking deal. Seems like it would be the easiest way to create a 3D effect cheaply, and it wouldn't cut anyone out from seeing the 3D effect just because they may be blind in one eye. Maybe they needed to create a new system (3DS) to add just a little more power (maybe even a CPU that runs independently from the games) to the system so the effect will be usable in all sorts of games (maybe even older ones?) and not just a simple game like what we saw in the head-tracking vid.
Head tracking is a bit of a fail in the DSi- either my head is really weird or it just doesn't work. Either they improve on that heavily or they should just leave it out and use something else.

finalzelda

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I got 2 suggestions.

1. We will get a complete suit implanting your nerves into the Ds fore a set period of time.
2. It will have holograms yust like starwars :wtf:

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: https://youtu.be/ICjgg5eEFSw?si=qyxHdElodJEeR3aS