Homebrew working on a quick little wii racing game

Lostbhoy

HEY YOU GUYS!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
As requested by @newo, here is a video of this gorgeous racer playing on the Wii U Gamepad.

First off... forgive the one handed playing but this is just show off yes... You can play with the Gamepad now!! Awesome work By Newo all round here as this a great looking and playing game.

A little fine tuning is being applied to controls, mainly the left thumbstick however it does not affect in game play and will be fixed by the legend themselves!

A forwarder will be posted soon in the Wii U section so that this can see a whole new audience who probably neglect their poor vWii's lol

Edit....

Wii U Forwarder Thread here!

Last edited by Lostbhoy,
Reactions: newo and jeannotte

StrayGuitarist

A genuine feline disaster.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's very fun so far! Only oddity I've noticed playing on my Wii with the pro classic controller is that if you press B or X after a fatal crash, and the restart prompt appears, is that you can cancel out of that prompt and return to the game where your ship smolders for a bit longer and the physics resume before the prompt re-appears.

Reactions: newo

newo

OP
Trophies
Website
wiibrew.org
XP
Country
Jamaica
It's very fun so far! Only oddity I've noticed playing on my Wii with the pro classic controller is that if you press B or X after a fatal crash, and the restart prompt appears, is that you can cancel out of that prompt and return to the game where your ship smolders for a bit longer and the physics resume before the prompt re-appears.

How did you find the difficulty? On the classic controller you can accelerate with the right stick or the R button.

I will fix the retry crash out bug on the next release.

Here is another experimental track. #lowpoly #wii #homebrew

Last edited by newo,

newo

OP
Trophies
Website
wiibrew.org
XP
Country
Jamaica
@wiiAdventurer you should be able to run the beta at full speed with no culling again

Found the stats display in @Dolphin_Emu . Not sure what some of the numbers mean but I seem to be making progress in doing more with less
stats.png
!

newo

OP
Trophies
Website
wiibrew.org
XP
Country
Jamaica
Some players have commented that the game is a bit hard. It's not really that hard it just takes a bit of practice to navigate the track at full speed. There are no power ups or assists. It's just you, the road and the music. You get more points the faster you drive but there is no timer.

Most players will quickly complete it on easy first try but without some practice And possibly memorising the track layout there is little chance of making it to the end of level 16.

Normal and hard are basically endurance races.
Arcade is full of deadly hard turns.
Expert is only for patient players.
Master is a rogue like with 16 random tracks. You never know which track you are gonna be given and so it's hard to play based on memory. You have to be skilled enough to be able to read the track as it undulates in front of you.

So that's the long and short of it. If a game doesn't have a bit of challenge then what's the point?

Reactions: Lostbhoy

Lostbhoy

HEY YOU GUYS!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Beta 3.6
- track texture no longer looks stretched when viewing up close (I need to re-edit the textures to accommodate the higher detail)
- reduced track poppin on main track and flyovers
- reduced poppin on skybox
- mostly performance tweeks. Dolphin should be less stressed.
Awesome, i'll get on this over the weekend. I'm loving this question tho... What's 'poppin'?

Reactions: newo

newo

OP
Trophies
Website
wiibrew.org
XP
Country
Jamaica
Small update this weekend. Mostly little fixes and code optimizations. I think I may drawing too much and as a result the game runs slower in some points but I will eventually figure out what I broke, I did some more experiments with lowpoly clouds - see screenshots. Also i am working on making the lower track sections less bright when you are on a highway above, fixed the ring at the tunnel entrance - it had been missing some lines causing it to look jagged. beta download link is always the same.

You might notice that the side of the track is one line instead of 2. I changed it to see if I could get a cleaner, more minimalist asthetic.

screenshot_20230814085311.png
screenshot_20230817122730.png
screenshot_20230817124205.png
screenshot_20230819165525.png

Last edited by newo,

wiiAdventurer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Definitely like the idea of clouds and could even see some different weather features (rain?). I'm sure you are still testing but I'd probably lower the opacity or dim the color on those clouds, to avoid such a high contrast.

Really excited to see where else you go with this, you've had some really nice improvements as of late. Thanks for working on it!

Reactions: Lostbhoy and newo

newo

OP
Trophies
Website
wiibrew.org
XP
Country
Jamaica
There are not many examples of of synthwave/cyberpunk clouds so I am kinda winging it. There won't be as many clouds as those seen in the screenshots and they will be wireframe instead of solid.

Weather would be hard to put off because of the number of particles that you would need to sell the look. Plus it doesn't rain the future. I am walking a thin line between having too much and too little.

Last edited by newo,

newo

OP
Trophies
Website
wiibrew.org
XP
Country
Jamaica
Testing out the "master" cup in V4 beta. The master cup is made up of 16 tracks. Everytime you restart the game you get a new set of 16 tracks in random order. In the video below you will see me restart the game several times. This cup was created for those who want a "roguelike" experience of seeing a track for the first time and mastering it. you never know what track you are going to face. Memorizing the tracks wont help in this cup. You will have to rely on your skill, reflexes and reading the track ahead. Added to that the tracks are the longest in the game so it becomes a test of endurance as well.

Last edited by newo,

newo

OP
Trophies
Website
wiibrew.org
XP
Country
Jamaica
Hey everyone I am still working on this but I am down in the weeds with boring stuff that is really hard see unless you are looking for it. For example in the video below you will see the demo runs until about 44s it enters the tunnel and the texture on the track kinda wobbles or maybe the corner is too deep. Eitherway this is the kind of stuff I am fixing right now. once you see it you cant unsee it. lol.

Reactions: zfreeman

Fatih120

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi Newo, glad to see you're still kicking. I used to play some of your homebrew back in my early teenager years which I played on the Wii full-time and you helped shape my experience with the console and interest in DIY software.

newo

OP
Trophies
Website
wiibrew.org
XP
Country
Jamaica
Hi Newo, glad to see you're still kicking. I used to play some of your homebrew back in my early teenager years which I played on the Wii full-time and you helped shape my experience with the console and interest in DIY software.
Thank you. I am glad my games contribute to others happiness.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Too bad Hitler didn't make camps for immigrants oh wait
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Isn't the latest method for slim like self right?
    Like a 1 wire mod?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Still two wire with resistor if you don't count the 7 wire pc probes cause hardware likes a good probing
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    2 wires left on motherboard, 7 temp soldered to a flasher, then removed after flashed
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Technically don't even have to remove it could just keep it on
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I don't really mess with hard mods due to neuro issues
  • realtimesave @ realtimesave:
    I tried to get a slim on a black friday once, but they ran out of stock for the $100 one
  • realtimesave @ realtimesave:
    many ages ago
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    You can find them $50-75 nowdays if catch a deal
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Still remember grabbing this ps4 slim on black Friday for $200 when the msrp was still around 300
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I went to auction at a mom/pops video game store few months ago that was closing, and bought 11 slims for $200, 1 was DOA but 10 work fine. so hella deal. Already rgh3'ed 8 of them. But most younger kids don't even want anymore, unless it plays stupid "fortnight", or newer shit.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Think I'm gonna use my giftcard balance on a nice pair of headphones but $100 is still limited
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Soundcore q30s are nice but they leak so much sound it sounds like speakers
    Ken spend the 100 on a gun and skii mask, wait for a jogger at the park jewelry money and headphones!
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    If only Amazon sold guns
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Fucking dick heads think it's a bad idea to get a gun 2 days later
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Wait, I thought you were the dickhe...nvm
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I got balls on my chin and two dicks on my forehead sir
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Sorry, no offense there double dickhead chinballs.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Chicks still love it
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    "Mommy, look, what is that?". "That's your soon to be daddy."
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That you'll only see once
    +1
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: That you'll only see once +1