BakerMan

My Metal Gear is Rising
OP
Trophies
a Genshin Impact player's sweat scented basement
XP
Country
United States
I've only seen Pokemon (and not the entirety of that either), Sonic X, and Kirby Right Back At Ya, what are some good starter anime other than those? Maybe I'd start with a shonen outside of the big 3. Like Dragon Ball, One Punch Man, Chainsaw Man or JJK. And hey, maybe if someone else is looking to get into anime, this could help them like it may help me.

(also, obviously, no horny, I'm BakerMan, not PsionicRoshambo or Skelletonlike)

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I've only seen Pokemon (and not the entirety of that either), Sonic X, and Kirby Right Back At Ya, what are some good starter anime other than those? Maybe I'd start with a shonen outside of the big 3. Like Dragon Ball, One Punch Man, Chainsaw Man or JJK. And hey, maybe if someone else is looking to get into anime, this could help them like it may help me.

Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood
Death Note
Naruto

plasturion

temporary hermit
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
i would start with some good ones bgm, animes with music composed by Joe Hisaishi:
Maison Ikkoku
Kimagure Orange Road
Laputa
Kiki's Delivery Service
------
To Heart
Oh! My Goddess OAV
no harem? so maybe Ai Yori Aoshi or Midori no Hibi? They have cool music though
Spy X Family

Reactions: ILuvGames

Ryab

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Well shounen is a massive genre but if you wan some old classics I always love to suggest Yu Yu Hakusho. It's a bit slow at the start but man it gets great. So much fun. Also one of the few shows I 100% suggest the dub of.

Scarlet

Onion Soup
Editorial Team
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
scarlet.works
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Mashle: Magic and Muscles is a pretty fun shounen that's pretty easy to enjoy. Similar vibes to One Punch Man about a guy who has to attend a magic academy but has no magical prowess at all, so just punches his way through everything with abnormal strength. It was one of the shows that had me interested enough to read the manga when it finished airing at least, and has a decent enough dub if you prefer that.

If you want to try something that's airing now that you can stay up to date with weekly, Kaiji No 8 is also pretty fun and easy to follow. Plenty more to recommend if you have a better idea of genres and what you'd want to watch. There's really an ocean of great stuff nowadays, I don't really think the gateway series of olde are necessarily the ones folks need to watch.

Reactions: BakerMan

BakerMan

My Metal Gear is Rising
OP
Trophies
a Genshin Impact player's sweat scented basement
XP
Country
United States
Mashle: Magic and Muscles is a pretty fun shounen that's pretty easy to enjoy. Similar vibes to One Punch Man about a guy who has to attend a magic academy but has no magical prowess at all, so just punches his way through everything with abnormal strength. It was one of the shows that had me interested enough to read the manga when it finished airing at least, and has a decent enough dub if you prefer that.

If you want to try something that's airing now that you can stay up to date with weekly, Kaiji No 8 is also pretty fun and easy to follow. Plenty more to recommend if you have a better idea of genres and what you'd want to watch. There's really an ocean of great stuff nowadays, I don't really think the gateway series of olde are necessarily the ones folks need to watch.
you know what? i was just about to say that i decided to get volume 1 of the manga at when i was at the library

only read volume 1 so far (i picked up only volume 1 and not volume 2 because i thought it would be longer lmao), but it was great imo, can't wait to watch the anime
(btw if you're wondering which one i meant, i meant mashle)
Post automatically merged:

tbh i've also been considering cowboy bebop, is that a good one?

Last edited by BakerMan,

duwen

Old Man Toad
Trophies
Website
www.exophase.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
It would be very easy for me to list a bunch of more accessible titles, but honestly I'd suggest just investigating based on character designs/art style and synopsis that appeal to you.
Initially, avoid anything that's more than a couple of seasons and perhaps stick to movies or series/ova's that are wrapped up fairly succinctly.
Obvious recommend; Akira

Holybond

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
you know what? i was just about to say that i decided to get volume 1 of the manga at when i was at the library

only read volume 1 so far (i picked up only volume 1 and not volume 2 because i thought it would be longer lmao), but it was great imo, can't wait to watch the anime
(btw if you're wondering which one i meant, i meant mashle)
Post automatically merged:

tbh i've also been considering cowboy bebop, is that a good one?
Cowboy Bebop is a good gateway anime. Digimon is also a good one with a pretty nice plot compared to pokemon. I'd also suggest Yu Yu Hakusho(dubbed). It's probably one of the best dubbed anime in my opinion.

Robert Newbie

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Initially, avoid anything that's more than a couple of seasons and perhaps stick to movies or series/ova's that are wrapped up fairly succinctly.
You know, this is really good advice. I've found that JDrama's are the same way. Second seasons, SP's, and spin off series tend to be passed to the second string writers, and it really shows. Anime tends to fare better in this regard, though.

One other warning about anime shows is that their movies tend to be extended episodes. Like, the stakes are about as high as a standard episode. That may be a hot take, but that's how I feel about them.

Cowboy Bebop is a good gateway anime. Digimon is also a good one with a pretty nice plot compared to pokemon. I'd also suggest Yu Yu Hakusho(dubbed). It's probably one of the best dubbed anime in my opinion.
Cowboy Bebop is very accessible. Good animation and storytelling. It's been a few decades, but I think it's still regarded as THE starter anime. The movie is recommended, but in terms of continuity, it takes place between episodes 22 and 23. Not a big deal, though.

Yu Yu Hakusho is one of those dubs that made Funimation a real underdog. Lots of care put into it, and it shows. This is another great starter choice.

Full Metal Alchemist is a bit on the longer side at around 50 episodes, and FMA: Brotherhood is another 65 or so. I never finished Brotherhood, but I had a great time with the original series. Recommended.

Reactions: Holybond

tglaria

Trophies
XP
Country
Congo, Democratic Republic of the
I guess it depends on your age.

I do consider Dragon Ball (not Z) as a good starter.

I also like Rurouni Kenshin, FullMetal Panic? Fumofu, GTO, but depends on your tastes.

duwen

Old Man Toad
Trophies
Website
www.exophase.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I guess it depends on your age.
I agree with that. As one of the older folks on these boards, I lean more towards 80's animé as a good place to start (Bubblegum Crisis, Dirty Pair, Gunsmith Cats, Fist of the North Star, Akira) as well as a bunch of the late 90's/early 2000's classics (Cowboy Bebop, Samurai Shamploo, Ergo Proxy, Death Note).
My taste in more recent animé could be considered somewhat devisive... Hi-Score Girl, Made in Abyss, Chainsaw Man, Flowers of Evil (although that one's over a decade old now, and it was never renewed after it's first season - a lot of folks hated the rotoscoped style of it compared to the manga, but I enjoyed both)... Attack on Titan also comes to mind, but I found it dropped off after the first season.

mrgone

old man
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
i primarily enjoy 90/00 era animes
mecha: bubblegum crisis, full metal panic, vandread
other notable series: ghost in the shell stand alone complex, comboy bebop, samurai champloo, rurouni kenshin, death note,
my favorite eternity series (lots of episodes) dragonball or naruto
notable movies: akira, ghost in the shell, ninja scroll, nearly everything from studio ghibli, movies by satoshi kon or makoto shinkai

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Savior of the broken
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Squid girl!
E66D423B-E94E-439B-B6EC-3D5653D348CB.gif

RedColoredStars

Trophies
XP
Country
Mozambique
I can't stand stuff like Pokemon, DBZ, Naruto, or anything seven semi-childish.

Boogiepop Phantom
Monster
Pet Shop of Horrors
School Days
Perfect Blue
Trinity Blood
Vampire Knight
Gantz
D. Gray-Man
Descendants of Darkness
Ergo Proxy
Ghost Hound-Ghost Hunt
Night Head Genesis
Darker Than Black
Undead Murder Farce
Highschool of the Dead
Black Blood Brothers
Hell Girl / Hell Girl Two Mirrors
Ghost Stories / Ghosts at School
Requiem from the Darkness
The Soultaker / Nurse Witch Komugi
Twilight of the Dark Master
Hellsing
Ayakashi
Tokyo Majin Gakuen Kenpuchou
Higurashi no Naku Koro Ni / Kai / Rei (When They Cry)
Elfen Lied
Serial Experiments Lain
Skiki
Dance in the Vampire Bund
Ghost Slayers Ayashi

Plenty more after you finsh all of those. lol

Robert Newbie

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
my favorite eternity series (lots of episodes) dragonball or naruto
That's a good way to put it. I've never watched Inuyasha, but I recall people going nuts over all the filler in that series. What amuses me about Naruto is that, according to fans, entire seasons can be skipped without any loss of continuity.

I agree with that. As one of the older folks on these boards, I lean more towards 80's animé as a good place to start (Bubblegum Crisis, Dirty Pair, Gunsmith Cats, Fist of the North Star, Akira) as well as a bunch of the late 90's/early 2000's classics (Cowboy Bebop, Samurai Shamploo, Ergo Proxy, Death Note).
I appreciate that many people here are into 80's, 90's, and 2000's content. Humanity reached its creative peak in those three decades.

Robert Newbie

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
even though i said i wouldn't start with one of the big 3, if i did, which would you guys recommend?
(for anyone who doesn't know, the "big 3" of shounen anime are, they're naruto, bleach and one piece)
That's a tough one. I'm barely familiar with the big three, but I'll give it a shot.

Bleach had a loyal audience, but I hear the first season was the strongest. Naruto allegedly has entire seasons of filler. One Piece I know the least about, but it has a huge following. I guess I'd vote One Piece, since it's the most contemporary.

pinbi7

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

my first Anime was Ninja Scroll , very good but very violent
Akira
Cowboy Bebop
Hunter X Hunter
Death Note
Tri-gun
Ghost in the Shell
Berserk
jojo's bizarre adventure
Balsa(Moribito)
steins gate
elfen lied