Hacking 3.1-3.4 Twilight/Downgrade/Gamma Tutorial

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrRochie

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for the GREAT Guide EoC... Gonna get my first Wii on Black Friday (If I can find a deal "yea RIGHT") Got a quick question from a NOOB... The instruction for the Twilight hack tells me to use a Zelda game that has been preplayed? So if I play the game and do a save, doesn't that store that save on the SD card? Then if I format it to fat16 per instructions, won't I will loose my save and won't be able to copy the twilight one over it? Am I missing something here in my understanding?? Just a little help for a real NOOB... Or is my procedure wrong.... Also anyway to protect me from a potential brick? Sure would hate to loose my hard earned dough ....

EmperorOfCanada

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
MrRochie said:
Thanks for the GREAT Guide EoC... Gonna get my first Wii on Black Friday (If I can find a deal "yea RIGHT") Got a quick question from a NOOB...
The instruction for the Twilight hack tells me to use a Zelda game that has been preplayed? So if I play the game and do a save, doesn't that store that save on the SD card?
No. Just load Zelda once and make sure it creates a save file and exit. the save file is stored on the wii.

Then if I format it to fat16 per instructions, won't I will loose my save and won't be able to copy the twilight one over it? Am I missing something here in my understanding??
Just copy the files provided onto the root of your SD card. Put the SD card in your wii. Delete your zelda save off your wii and then copy the correct one from your SD card over on your wii

Just a little help for a real NOOB... Or is my procedure wrong.... Also anyway to protect me from a potential brick? Sure would hate to loose my hard earned dough .
Installing starfall which is in my guide will help prevent possible bricks to your wii that happen when you install bad wads

IronMask

Official WiiStuntman First to Test ciosCorp!
Trophies
Website
ironmaskshideout.blogspot.com
XP
Country
United States
WOW! I just tried this and now all my games load at 6x speed...you're a magician!!

Good tutorial dude... keeps the n00bs a coming!
laugh.gif

MrRochie

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks EoC You are da man!!!!!....... You cleared up my questions..... Guess Ill give this a try... When I get my Wii......
wink.gif

Yerk_Wii

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Excellent guide my friend!

I got into hacking the Wii after I had already updated to 3.3U. It took some reading and I did a few steps from other guides to get it working, backups, wads and all. Everything seemed fine for a couple weeks now but over the last couple days after getting a few of the newer NTSC ISOs available, I wasn't having the same kind of results people posting and in the Backup Loader compatibility wiki that most other people were. Most recently Tomb Raider : Underworld and Sonic Unleashed. Tons of people reporting them running great 1:1, I however was not getting them to load past the "could not read disk" error. I tried a few things, different cIOSs, deleting ones I didn't think I needed, different settings in 0.3g even different dvd media even though tons of other games I have were working fine from the same media.

Well long story short, I ran through you guide and downgraded my 3.3U back to 3.2U. Installed everything word for word from your guide. As a test I booted up both games that had been giving me trouble and what do you know? They both work great, just like so many people were reporting they did!

Thank you EoC.

purpe

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I can't understand but,

I followed all instruction at step1

Firmware still is 3.4E

But i can play Backup Loader 0.3Gamma too without problem...

So i haven't understand how it's possible, but it work, so ok thanks
biggrin.gif

BIG MOE

๔*๖ LORD BIG MOE ™
Trophies
XP
Country
Syria
purpe said:
I can't understand but,

I followed all instruction at step1

Firmware still is 3.4E

But i can play Backup Loader 0.3Gamma too without problem...

So i haven't understand how it's possible, but it work, so ok thanks
biggrin.gif
thought you can , but still not much support for 3.4 it more recommended to downgrade to 3.2 with starfall recovery menu protection
wink.gif

purpe

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
QUOTE said:
thought you can , but still not much support for 3.4 it more recommended to downgrade to 3.2 with starfall recovery menu protection
wink.gif

Ok, well i want to downgrade but if i do this:
QUOTE said:
[STEP 1] [Perform these steps ONLY you are already on 3.3 or 3.4 otherwise Skip to Step 2]
Ok, i must do only this step cause i have 3.4E Right? I hope so

QUOTE said:
+Load Wad Manager in Homebrew Channel and install IOS16-64-v257-prod.wad
Yes, even if you have received errors trying to install other wads this should still work.

I open Wad Manager in Homebrew Channel, i go to sd card, i press (+) on IOS16-64-v257-prod.wad and i install it without warnings, then press (home) reset wii and come back to homebrew channel.

QUOTE+Load Custom WM in Homebrew Channel and install cios_fix.wad
You cannot install this wad with Wad Manager. This is a custom wad manager designed to work for IOS16.

I open Custom Wad Manager in Homebrew Channel, i go to sd card, i press (+) on cios_fix.wad and i install it without warnings, then press (home) reset wii and come back to homebrew channel.

+Load IOS Downgrader in Homebrew Channel. Just follow any prompts until it tells you it is complete.

I press on IOS Downgrader, then he stay about 5/10 minutes working, the he ask me to press a key to reboot. Well i reboot and tada always 3.4E... so why i must do this?

Then he wrote as a NOTE:
**Note: This is NOT the same as the cIOS downgrader. The cIOS downgrader allows you to upgrade or downgrade to the ideal firmware
version which is 3.2. The reason 3.2 is so popular is partially because versions after this one had the Trucha bug fixed, and almost
as importantly ver 3.2 is required to run Starfall. Starfall is important because it is at this time one of the only ways to fix a
partially bricked Wii. It is also handy for skipping disk updates.

I must run cIOS downgrader too, if i want to complete the downgrade to 3.2E? (But why, if this step is necessary, is only a note?)

There is something that i can't understand, sorry this is my fault.

EmperorOfCanada

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
"Ok, i must do only this step cause i have 3.4E Right? I hope so"

Okay I see how you misunderstood that but I meant Do those steps if you are on ver 3.3 or 3.4 (only those firmware versions) then move on to the rest of the guide, Not Do that step and nothing else

Phratt

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Does the same process work with soft chip? or is it different?

Because I feel alot safer using softchip than gamma.

EmperorOfCanada

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Can I ask why? So far as I know neither one is dangerous.

And yes, you can use this process to downgrade your wii. If you dont wanna load gamma then just stop after the cIOS downgrader once you are on 3.2

(Starfall probably still reccomended as well)

purpe

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
EmperorOfCanada said:
"Ok, i must do only this step cause i have 3.4E Right? I hope so"

Okay I see how you misunderstood that but I meant Do those steps if you are on ver 3.3 or 3.4 (only those firmware versions) then move on to the rest of the guide, Not Do that step and nothing else

Lol, i'm an idiot
biggrin.gif

Ok sorry
wink.gif

EmperorOfCanada

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
I am not sure what you are asking. But I assume not, since he knows about this Guide and didnt say anything to me.

@purpe No, I can actually see how you made that mistake. Maybe I shouldnt have emphasized ONLY

Phratt

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
EmperorOfCanada said:
Can I ask why? So far as I know neither one is dangerous.

And yes, you can use this process to downgrade your wii. If you dont wanna load gamma then just stop after the cIOS downgrader once you are on 3.2

(Starfall probably still reccomended as well)

because Softchip is still updating frequently, whereas Gamma seems to be the same it was for about a month.

Plus soon someone is going to patch the 249 IOS fix so old games will work without tampering.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Don't know how I missed this https://youtu.be/OgLD1yhxNik?si=I94vWUB9-LcKc5jR