Chrono Trigger and Super Mario RPG for SNES now have local cooperative hack that allows up to 3 players to play together

Colmines92

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Cuba
Have you ever dreamed of being able to play Chrono Trigger or Super Mario RPG with family or friends, but in the end you had to end up playing it alone because the game is single-player?

Well no more, now both in their SNES versions have a local cooperative hack that allows up to three players to enjoy such wonderful titles in company.

Please note that this does not necessarily mean that a group of 3 people is required to play. You can still play alone, with a friend, or with two, depending on the number of controllers connected.

More details at:
Romhacking.net - Hacks - Chrono Trigger - Multiplayer
Romhacking.net - Hacks - Super Mario RPG - Multiplayer

AkiraKurusu

Pokémon's dead
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
...How common is local co-op these days? I can only describe my own experiences, but it's been years since I've had friends come over for local co-op gaming.

So yeah, an amazing accomplishment, that's for damn sure, but relevancy...eeeh. The convenience of online co-op (or, more commonly, versus) seems to be the far more popular style these days.

• Sad
Reactions: DarkCoffe64

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
...How common is local co-op these days? I can only describe my own experiences, but it's been years since I've had friends come over for local co-op gaming.

So yeah, an amazing accomplishment, that's for damn sure, but relevancy...eeeh. The convenience of online co-op (or, more commonly, versus) seems to be the far more popular style these days.
Not really common. Even the Tales of.. series, which had local coop for who knows how long, dropped it in Tales of Arise. It's sad as local coop is a great way for the wife and I to game together. games forcing online coop strictly are highly inconvenient as (in most cases) we are stuck paying for two copies of the game. In some genres or even game series, that's fine. However, the lack of local, or couch, coop sucks.

Last edited by Kioku,

AkiraKurusu

Pokémon's dead
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Not really common. Even the Tales of.. series, which had local coop for who knows how long, dropped it in Tales of Arises. It's sad as local coop is a great way for the wife and I to game together. games forcing online coop strictly are highly inconvenient as (in most cases) we are stuck paying for two copies of the game. In some genres or even game series, that's fine. However, the lack of local, or couch, coop sucks.
I do agree with you - it'd be great if it was an option, just for those of us still able (and wanting) to get mates/family together - but I also understand why it's been disincentivised.
An unfortunate reality of the Internet age, really.

• Sad
Reactions: DarkCoffe64
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
This is interesting, heh. While like turn based co-op rpgs would say sound a bit... odd, eh, it's the weird and peculiar stuff that ends up being the most interesting.

And @Kioku and @AkiraKurusu , sigh, I know all too well the loss of local co-op games...
I have a friend, like, the only friend I have that lives around me, we've been buds for ages, hanging out, playing games and such, but as playing online (and the enshittification of games) became more and more prominent, basically most games that could've had local co-op became like "nope, online only, buy two copies lol".
In terms of consoles, me and him have different interests, or rather, myself I don't care about consoles anymore, so, any games that's like stuck on a console that doesn't have local co-op is, well, inaccessible for us, mh...

Still, while damn rare, local co-op games still show up every now and then. And thanks to parsec, me and my bud can still play those together when he's too busy to come hang out, eh.

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Have you ever dreamed of being able to play Chrono Trigger or Super Mario RPG with family or friends, but in the end you had to end up playing it alone because the game is single-player?
It's nice, I guess, but seems to me you could just manually pass the controller around and thereby fulfill one's "dreams"..?

Robert Newbie

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Playing Secret of Mana with other people will always be memorable for me. The thought of doing something similar in other JRPG's is great, even if there's not much for other players to do while player one explores the map.

Considering how quickly battles come and go, it should still be a good time for everyone.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: BO1 is good, all 3 modes are good in that game