Hacking dvd+rw and dvd+r?

JJBro1

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For some reason my computer won't recognize my dvd-r (TDK) disks at all but they will read dvd+rw and dvd+rw. Are those two disks good for burning? What about dvd-rw?

JJBro1

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
kitt050383 said:
wii can't read rw discs only dvd+r or dvd-r and if you use dvd+r you must st the booktype to dvd-rom...
-kitt050383
do you have any idea why my comp won't read dvd-r?

Stephanie

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
JJBro1 said:
but they will read dvd+rw and dvd+rw.
ohmy.gif

Your burner probably only reads +RW.

Are you running on Windows XP? Right-click on My Computer and go to Properties. Click the Hardware tab and then choose Device Manager. From there you can see what kind of dvd drive you have. Sorry if you have another operating system! I'm sure you can figure it out, though, if you don't know already. Who doesn't know?

DVD-R are the best discs to burn on for Wii, but my dvd drive doesn't read it, either. Only +RW. +RW can still work for Wii, but its percentile of reliability is much lower than if you used -R. I don't know much about +R and -RW and whatever other unnecessary mathmatical signs are about. Someone here can tell you better.

~Steph

kitt050383

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
+rw= + rewritable

+R= + writable

your burner if it's not a multi recorder is most likely a +r/+rw only...

rw does not work on the wii...
some discs say +rw but its +r it cant be rewritten...

-kitt050383

JJBro1

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Stephanie said:
JJBro1 said:
but they will read dvd+rw and dvd+rw.
ohmy.gif

Your burner probably only reads +RW.

Are you running on Windows XP? Right-click on My Computer and go to Properties. Click the Hardware tab and then choose Device Manager. From there you can see what kind of dvd drive you have. Sorry if you have another operating system! I'm sure you can figure it out, though, if you don't know already. Who doesn't know?

DVD-R are the best discs to burn on for Wii, but my dvd drive doesn't read it, either. Only +RW. +RW can still work for Wii, but its percentile of reliability is much lower than if you used -R. I don't know much about +R and -RW and whatever other unnecessary mathmatical signs are about. Someone here can tell you better.

~Steph
I have an hp DVD writer 300n and it can't read -r(w). Looks like i'm stuck with + then.

kitt050383

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States

WiiPower

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
JJBro1 said:
For some reason my computer won't recognize my dvd-r (TDK) disks at all but they will read dvd+rw and dvd+rw. Are those two disks good for burning? What about dvd-rw?

If your pc can't even read DVD-Rs you will get serious burning and reading issues with your burns on your wii. RWs are generally a bad idea for wii backups (at least for noobs), start first with DVD+Rs with bitsetting to dvd-rom. Update the firmware of your burner. If you burner is older(i guess it is, when it can't read DVD-Rs properly), then, and only then(!) burn at the slowest speed possible. You don't need to waste serval discs, just try one game REALLY nobody reports any problems with. Make sure you have everything installed properly(Gamma cIOS) and you can run originals with Gamma. If your burned game doesn't work, you could try to mess with different media and writing speeds, but an upgrade for your burner is really recommend in that situation.

SilverSurfR

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
From a little searching I did, seems that drive is a rebaged NEC 1100A. Which might be possible to crossflash to a 1300A that will support -R with mixed results. I suggest just using +R media with bitsetting to DVD-ROM (if your drive supports this) if you don't want to flash hacked firmware and risk possibly ruining your drive.

You could always upgrade the drive too, they are relatively cheap $20-30USD, and you'd be able to burn faster than 4x/2.4x

upbumpo190

Trophies
Website
ethericwarriors.eu
XP
Country
France
Stephanie said:
Tanas said:
For the Wii to read DVD+RW's you have to a chip installed.
All these are false! Chip can read them just fine, but +RW still works on a softmodded Wii. It's just harder to get it working.

I've tried to no avail (DVD+/-RW).
I'm really interested in a method to get them to work, so if you could pm me a link or similar, it would be greatly appreciated. I'm not a noob, just haven't found a method yet.
Does it involve bittsetting? (Wouldn't bittsetting a DVD+RW to DVD-ROM render it unrewriteable?)

DVD+Rs booktyped to DVD-ROM have worked for me, and for my 4 friends', but depends on your drive, I've heard of some that don't read them at all!

~ Chris

nicksasa

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
dvd-rw's works fine for me ... just set the booktype to dvd-rom (only tested with gamecube backups) and no modchip

mcj

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
How many times does this need to be discussed? I think we need a sticky up top (that nobody will read) about what discs explaining dvd-r/+r/rw/etc etc

MillionsKnives

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
kitt050383 said:
wii can't read rw discs only dvd+r or dvd-r and if you use dvd+r you must st the booktype to dvd-rom...
-kitt050383
Stephanie said:
QUOTE(Tanas @ Feb 17 2009, 04:56 PM) For the Wii to read DVD+RW's you have to a chip installed.
All these are false! Chip can read them just fine, but +RW still works on a softmodded Wii. It's just harder to get it working.
I agree with Stephanie that DVD +RWs DO work, at least on my Wii. I'm playing Mario Kart Wii right now, which I burned onto a DVD +RW and am playing without a modchip. I was able to use ImgBurn to force the booktype to DVD-R for Mario Kart Wii, but I reckon that when I burned Super Mario Galaxy to a DVD +RW, I never changed the booktype (it could have automatically changed the booktype however, I don't remember). I believe it may depend on if your Wii's DVD drive can read them or not.

If you are in the market to buy a spindle of DVDs to burn Wii games, I, as a lot of people on here, would recommend using -Rs as they seem to have the highest compatibility rate.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    a_username_that_isnt_cool @ a_username_that_isnt_cool: @Xdqwerty, about to