Tutorial  Updated

GameCube forwarding in Wii Menu Through USBLoaderGX & Nintendont

While searching how to get channels for my GameCube backups to autoboot from the Wii menu, I couldn't find much but outdated information and broken attempts from other users, after some work I figured out a way to get it to work through USBLoaderGX and Nintendont somewhat.
With this method you can create a forwarder that will first start USBLoaderGX, which then automatically boots to nintendont which starts up the title.

Before attempting this do have your precautions setup for any possible Bannerbrick or other "Worst case scenarios"

(Only tested this on a Wii, not vWii.)

Things you need:
  • WiiGSC
  • a copy of a Wii ISO\WBFS file (can be any game, this will be deleted or reused for other GC channels)
  • HxD (or any other Hex Editor)
  • CustomizeMii
  • .wad for the gamecube game you want to forward to (or make your own, I used one from this thread)
  • A wbfs folder on the root of any disk to use (I'd advise an internal one for speed purposes)
  • Your GameCube backup being on SD.

Due to WiiGSC being very fragile, always launch it as admin

• Open HxD and open the .wbfs file we will use to create an channel
  • Edit the Title ID to the ID of the GC game you want to forward to
  • Save the wbfs file as [GC TitleID].wbfs
  • open WiiGSC and select "Open WBFS Drive" and navigate to the drive where your dummy wbfs is (Ex: C:\wbfs\name\GCtitleID.wbfs)
  • If edited right & using a proper wbfs it should load properly, show the wii game's title but the GC's game Disc ID
  • Select "USB Loader GX Forwarder" as your forwarder
  • Press create channel

• Start up CustomizeMii, open the .wad you have just created
  • Go to the Options tab, and extract the .dol file and save this
  • Go back to the source tab and clear the current loaded .wad
  • Load up the .wad file for your game you downloaded in this thread
  • Under options, change the startup IOS to 35, and load the new .dol
  • Install & Profit

This will make you boot into USBLoaderGX, which will then forward you to nintendont and start the title.

It's a hassle to setup, It's not desirable to have USBLoaderGX boot first, then have that autostart nintendont and the game, but for now it's a way to get these forwarder channels working.

Last edited by Crumb,

cadeswii

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've used this method to make a forwarder to SM64 Gamecube. I'd like to contribute by saying a few things:
1) It's better to use ISO over wbfs to edit the GameID. The reason is, in ISO the gameID is right at the start, while in Wbfs in somewhere in the middle.
2) If you feel intimidated by Hex editing (I do), there's a tool called Wii ISO renamer that gets the job done.
3) I followed the rest of the tutorial to the letter and it worked! It's noteworthy that the dol file CustomizeMii may be useful for launching Gamecube games from the Homebrew Launcher.
Thanks for the TIPS. Made it really easy following this method. Worked great for Simpsons Hit and Run for me!

Reactions: V800

fergambo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Trying to use this tutorial to create a channel that launches Super Smash Bros Melee from wii flow via sd.
Wii flow has nintendont as the default gamecube launcher- and I have confirmed that the game launches properly from the wii flow application.

I created a WAD for Melee as instructed (only changing that the forwarder is for wii flow- not usb gx) but when launching the channel, I just get a message from wii flow saying "Cannot find the game with ID:GALE01".

The game is located in sd:/games/Super Smash Bros Melee [Gale01]/game.iso
I also did go into wii flow and set sd:/games as the default location for gamecube games.
Any idea how I can get wii flow to find the game? I have confirmed the ID of the iso is properly gale01 as well.

The same message 'Cannot find the game...' after trying 'configurable forwarder (no intro)' -that is Uloader- as loader, with partition=FAT1 and device=sdhc as Extra parameters (same as my othe forwarders for wii games working)

Regards

cadeswii

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Has anyone gotten a forwarder for Zelda Ocarina of Time / Master Quest to work? The one from the thread is only for Ocarina of Time, so it doesnt work.

RESOLVED: I was using the wrong Game ID. It wasn't the NTSC-U one.

Last edited by cadeswii,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: The only CoD game I played that I truly enjoyed was Black Ops 1, and only the single player...